Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Won't Start, I'm Baffled :(

trishandjens

Hi all, we have a 1.8vvt-i X reg Avensis estate that has decided not to start.

It does start and sounds absolutely healthy as anything, and then just down after about 10 seconds.

I had the AA come out and tow it home for me, he said he had no idea, and it could really only be an electrical fault, he checked the Battery and fuel pressure. Said they were all fine, and the car sounded soooo promising when you wanted to start it, yet nope it will not.

I have checked all the fuses and they seem fine, and the computer fault light did not come on either.

After reading up on various forums about immobiliser issues, I am starting to believe this could be it. The car has had an engine replacement (summer last year), and since then I have never heard the alarm go off, and it used to go off all the time for silly reasons.

So this morning, I locked the car so that it is alarmed, and shook the car like mad, and tried to open the doors and all sorts, then tried the same from the inside, and not a beep.

I have read that you can reset the immobiliser/alarm, though only on other cars. Could somebody tell me how to reset mine please? Of course if this fault sounds like the same one, or if anybody has any other ideas as to what it could be I would be very grateful.

Thanks

It does start and sounds absolutely healthy as anything, and then just down after about 10 seconds.

I had the AA come out and tow it home for me, he said he had no idea, and it could really only be an electrical fault, he checked the battery and fuel pressure. Said they were all fine, and the car sounded soooo promising when you wanted to start it, yet nope it will not.

I have checked all the fuses and they seem fine, and the computer fault light did not come on either.

After reading up on various forums about immobiliser issues, I am starting to believe this could be it. The car has had an engine replacement (summer last year), and since then I have never heard the alarm go off, and it used to go off all the time for silly reasons.

So this morning, I locked the car so that it is alarmed, and shook the car like mad, and tried to open the doors and all sorts, then tried the same from the inside, and not a beep.

I have read that you can reset the immobiliser/alarm, though only on other cars. Could somebody tell me how to reset mine please? Of course if this fault sounds like the same one, or if anybody has any other ideas as to what it could be I would be very grateful.

Thanks

We had a mechanic check it today, he checked spark plugs, fuel pressure, read out the ecu that came out with no fault. He is now baffled and as I mentioned the ecu is said that would be very rare and he would rather check all other options first. Does anybody have any others as to what could be wrong with it?

I had the AA come out and tow it home for me, he said he had no idea, and it could really only be an electrical fault, he checked the battery and fuel pressure. Said they were all fine, and the car sounded soooo promising when you wanted to start it, yet nope it will not.

Thanks

Hi does anybody have any suggestions, I am now thinking of replacing the ecu

We had a mechanic check it today, he checked spark plugs, fuel pressure, read out the ecu that came out with no fault. He is now baffled and as I mentioned the ecu is said that would be very rare and he would rather check all other options first. Does anybody have any others as to what could be wrong with it?

Thanks. That's really useful ;) have bought an ecu with ignition lock and key, will see how the mechanic gets on

• 2 weeks later...

We had the ecu changed, and it still won't start. I think it's ready for the scrap yard now :(

If it runs good as new the first 10 seconds I guess there's no problem with the

immobilizer. If that was the case, it shouldn't start at all (or am I wrong?).

Have you checked the trouble shooting guides I posted?

Engine stall soon after starting. Check in numerical order:

1 Fuel Quality

2 Fuel pressure regulator

3 Fuel pump

4 Fuel lines

5 EGR system

6 Idle speed control valve

7 Vacuum sensor circuit

8 Water temp sensor circuit

9 Injectors

10 Engine (& ECT) ECU

I had the same problem, but it was fixed by following this post http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t44971.html, apparently a common problem with our model of avensis.

I should add, the test to confirm it is this problem is that if you wiggle the key or push the key to the side whilst keeping it twisted at the start position, the engine should start. Also you can test if is the imobiliser or not but jump starting the car (if you have enough push power at hand). My car was absolutely fine until on a hot day a few weeks ago it just refused to crank the engine, i didn't think about wiggling the key until I read the other post.

Good luck

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links