Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cts Low Rev Rattling

farhanali89

Sup guys had a search through the forums but i couldnt find the answer. Im certain it was the exhaust manifold heatshield.

Basically since i bought the car at low revs like when pulling off there is like a rattling sound, I have always ignored it in the past as it didnt ever bother me but as of lately my cars slammed to the floor on the coilovers everytime i get to work i have to deal with a million speed bumps so it means that noise is present on every speed bump i go over.

I know alot of you guys had this fixed but i just wanted to confirm which heatshield i need to tighten as there is a lower heatshield and an upper plus another one somewhere down there. Also had a look a while back and some people were even saying it could be a belt tensioner but im pretty sure it isnt that?

Any help would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

Hi mate, mine wasn't the heatshield, was the rear engine mount I think. That was because I had work done in that area, so not sure if it applies to your rattling ;)

Hi mate, mine wasn't the heatshield, was the rear engine mount I think. That was because I had work done in that area, so not sure if it applies to your rattling wink.gif

ahh defo wasnt that, alot of cts's that i have driven have the same issue annoying rattle near manifold area when your coming off the clutch and not giving it enough gas but the aussie guys say its the belt tensioner.

Im going to check the heatshield any way or might just rip it off, ill be removing it when i fit my new header in.

I have the exact same problem. Tends to do it more so when the engine is cold too.

I have the exact same problem. Tends to do it more so when the engine is cold too.

yeeeeeeeah! its pretty annoying as when i go over speed bumps i have to go really slowly and when i pull off either i keep going back down into first or military it over the speed bump with that annoying sound going real slow.

its defo that manifold, was going to have a look at it after work but i drove home so the manifold must of been like a blast furnace!

i got the same problem, but when i changed the engine oil, the noise has gone for a week also, then now the rattle sound appears again.

i think is coming from the belt or pulley somewhere, my car is still under warranty, maybe i will take my car to toyota have a check after i got my standard installed back on.

Belt tensioner is only a few quid isnt it Farhan? Might be worth doing as it's only cheap and shouldn't be too hard to do :g:

Belt tensioner is only a few quid isnt it Farhan? Might be worth doing as it's only cheap and shouldn't be too hard to do :g:

its not to big of a job, just a pain if your working by yourself, Ideally tensioner i think is around 100 odd quid. Install is not to bad but most probably have to jack up the engine to clear the driver side fender to gain better access to the pulleys.

• Like 1

its not to big of a job, just a pain if your working by yourself, Ideally tensioner i think is around 100 odd quid. Install is not to bad but most probably have to jack up the engine to clear the driver side fender to gain better access to the pulleys.

That sounds like a bigger pain in the ***** than it is to do on my 1.4, probably because i have a lot more room in the engine bay :rolleyes:

£100 quid sounds like a lot for that part actually but I guess it depends on wether you get one from toyota or from eBay

:rolleyes: ;) :clown:

Can I just quickly ask is this the same rattling which occurs on the other 1.4/1.6vvti petrol engines but never occurs in the diesel engine cars? My aunty's 1.4vvti also does this..it is VERY annoying!