Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Wont Fix My Duff Brakes At 22K Miles

dave.m

Well I guess you've all read recent posts about duff brake discs so here's my experience of today.

Last year at last service I reported a bit of a vibration from my brakes, on collecting car Mr T say

they can't detect a problem (at 30 MPH you wouldn't at that time).So we agree I will monitor the

situation. Since then the brakes have been getting steadily worse, but as the past couple of months

have been nye on the worst of my life so far I had little time to do much about it. So it gets to point

now that it more of a rumble when I brake at high speed, so much so even my wife comments (who does not

drive BTW).So I booked in to Mr T today, where one their chaps eventually gets to hear/feel the problem

with me in the passenger seat.So cuts to chase, looks like it needs new discs, advised that Toyota wont

cover them under warranty, getting f^*"!n mad but still polite, and gets number of Toyota customer services

and head home.

So I phone them, only to be told what you all already know, 18 months or 20K miles or whatever (still being

polite at this stage)

So the conclusion ? Toyota must be off their F^ckin heads if they think I will pay £20K plus for one of their

cars, look after it like someone with OCD, service it to the letter at Toyota dealer, only to get to 2 1/2

years old, 22,500 miles to discover that the brake discs are shot and they wont cover it.

So while I'm on the phone their customer relations dept I ask to have an official complaint logged, do they

do it ? Who knows, but told them when I change my car again (possibly this year) it will not, and possibly

never will be again, a Toyota.You want to treat your loyal customers like sh^t ? Then I'll vote with my feet.

I personally think that is very poor service, considering the fact that you are still in warranty and have been Toyota serviced throught the cars life.

Pads and discs are not really that expensive either, If I were Toyota I would replace them ASAP.

Especially being the brakes at fault again. :angry:

Shame on you Toyota!!!1

story of my life - calipers on RAV and Previa both crap - Toyota want to sort them out. Surely in this day and age they can sort out the problem of pad material transference. For a small sum, they can buy a disc grinder and fix it while the discs are still on the car!!

Several garages I know make a good profit from replacing discs, whether they need replaced or not....funnily enough they are all dealers!!

Can I ram raid the offending dealer with yer car? I promise to steal it first of course :censor:

Might be worth changing them yourself and throw the old set through the dealer ship window.

Discs Not Toyota but most probably 100% better

Pads Not Toyota but will be 100% better.

Dave, it is this kind of change of attitude from Toyota that TBH was a major factor in me deciding to not extend the warranty on my RAV4 this month but look elsewhere for a new car.

I got my Discs replaced all round under warranty in Oct 2009 after around 4 1/2 years and 48k miles, so how they can suddenly decide these items are no longer covered on newer cars, still 'protected' by the initial 3 year warranty is beyond me :help:

Early days, but so far I am very happy with my Qashqai and would recommend you have a look at them  :yes:

Well I guess you've all read recent posts about duff brake discs so here's my experience of today.

Last year at last service I reported a bit of a vibration from my brakes, on collecting car Mr T say

they can't detect a problem (at 30 MPH you wouldn't at that time).So we agree I will monitor the

situation. Since then the brakes have been getting steadily worse, but as the past couple of months

have been nye on the worst of my life so far I had little time to do much about it. So it gets to point

now that it more of a rumble when I brake at high speed, so much so even my wife comments (who does not

drive BTW).So I booked in to Mr T today, where one their chaps eventually gets to hear/feel the problem

with me in the passenger seat.So cuts to chase, looks like it needs new discs, advised that Toyota wont

cover them under warranty, getting f^*"!n mad but still polite, and gets number of Toyota customer services

and head home.

So I phone them, only to be told what you all already know, 18 months or 20K miles or whatever (still being

polite at this stage)

So the conclusion ? Toyota must be off their F^ckin heads if they think I will pay £20K plus for one of their

cars, look after it like someone with OCD, service it to the letter at Toyota dealer, only to get to 2 1/2

years old, 22,500 miles to discover that the brake discs are shot and they wont cover it.

So while I'm on the phone their customer relations dept I ask to have an official complaint logged, do they

do it ? Who knows, but told them when I change my car again (possibly this year) it will not, and possibly

never will be again, a Toyota.You want to treat your loyal customers like sh^t ? Then I'll vote with my feet.

Hi. I did a posting a couple of weeks ago. Rav4 20,000 miles. 20 months old. New brakes and discs required. not covered by warranty. Spoke to Toyota customer care, did not want to know, wrote to MD got a reply from customer care but still do not want to know. Had them fixed for £170. Not at a Toyota dealer. Between my wife and me we have had 5 toyotas but i hate this attitude od denying there is a problem and although I like the car I would not buy another Toyota because of the attitude they have shown. Very disappointed, obviously do not want or need my business in the future.

Andrew

i dont like to rub salt into the wounds, but, front discs are normally only covered under the first year warranty and pads are classed as wear and tear items and wont be changed under warranty after 3 months, this applies to all manufacturers, all those that have been changed are possibly false warranty claims, in this time of hard ship manufacturers are clampping down on what does and doesnt get changed, if toyota changed the discs and wanted them back for inspection the dealer gets hit with a hefty fine if the discs are within tolerence, and if its found through being audited then that fine is increased 10 fold, so they are within their rights to refuse.

p.s when you first reported the fault and decided to let the problem develop did you get back in contact with dealer, if the vehicle is under a year old when the fault was reported you may have a claim because the fault was reported within the first year, the dealer should have records of the origional fault.

i dont like to rub salt into the wounds, but, front discs are normally only covered under the first year warranty and pads are classed as wear and tear items and wont be changed under warranty after 3 months, this applies to all manufacturers, all those that have been changed are possibly false warranty claims, in this time of hard ship manufacturers are clampping down on what does and doesnt get changed, if toyota changed the discs and wanted them back for inspection the dealer gets hit with a hefty fine if the discs are within tolerence, and if its found through being audited then that fine is increased 10 fold, so they are within their rights to refuse.

p.s when you first reported the fault and decided to let the problem develop did you get back in contact with dealer, if the vehicle is under a year old when the fault was reported you may have a claim because the fault was reported within the first year, the dealer should have records of the origional fault.

dicky, one of the things that used to set Toyota apart from other manufacturers was their warranty and attitude to repairs. If you check the T&Cs of the warranty and extended warranty, it definitely does NOT exclude discs from the warranty. Also, if due to a fault with the discs, the pads need to be replaced, then they also would be included.

The first Toyota I bought back in 1993 had a blowing exhaust about 6 months after I bought it (at 4 years old). Toyota replaced free - much to my surprise - the exhaust system.  

Now call that a false warranty claim if you will but they did it without me asking them to, they probably did similar things with 000's of other customers and the net result of this attitude to their customers?  Only ending up being the biggest, most profitable and just about most respected car company in the world until very recently.

If they start going like other car companies in their attitudes, then they can really expect no brand loyalty and it will all go pear-shaped. If they want to regain this respect, then they are going about it in a funny way  :rolleyes:

nearly all 2nd and 3rd year warranties are under written by an insurance company, and from my previous posting if part are deemed to have failed and no measurements are recorded the warranty claim is invalied (false) and the dealership wont honour the claim because all warranty claims are now audited, the dealer will be hit by a hefty fine by the manufacturer for false claims, all manufacturers now have to do this because of the block exemption rule, having spent 23 years in the motor trade with main dealers this is now a daily problem for customers, the manufacturers make the rules, they are in the buisness to make money.

As most on here know I drive a black cab which is mainly Ford based,we think these are a pretty crappy vehicle I have just replaced the front discs for the first time at (wait for it)172,000 mls.. EGR was cleaned out at 110,000mls So come on Toyota whats going on :unsure: and yes my cab has to be Euro IV compliant.. I am on my third Rav + if i can ever afford to change it there will not be a fourth :thumbsup: Stew

it does bring 1 thing to the fore (four)

when you maske a complaint etc - put it in writing to the serive manager at least and get an acknowledgement from them. Send it Special delivery as you get a copy of the receiving signature via the website. verbal counts for zero/zilch/nil. as I found with some outfit ownwed by Arnie Clark,

Now I use smaller garages for all my needs where I know where the owners live and they know I'm aff ma heid. Mental health problems is a great thing - honest ma Lord; ah dinna mean tae throw a drain cover through the new car in the forecourt... it just fell oot ma hand.....

ps I can supply drain covers at great discount.

A lot of interesting replies and points of view being made on this subject.

But what I would say, when it comes to suggestions of writing letters etc, we have all (myself included) been on here

and put Toyota on a pedestal while berating other lesser/inferior (cheaper ?)car makers because of the level of service

or products they provide their customers. If Toyota have now decided to change direction, and not offer the same level

of service without the threat of letters or taking matters further, then I sure ain't going to be paying Toyota car prices

to get what you get from those "lesser" car makers. So I guess I will still be voting with my feet and saving 25% or more

when it comes time to change.

A lot of interesting replies and points of view being made on this subject.

But what I would say, when it comes to suggestions of writing letters etc, we have all (myself included) been on here

and put Toyota on a pedestal while berating other lesser/inferior (cheaper ?)car makers because of the level of service

or products they provide their customers. If Toyota have now decided to change direction, and not offer the same level

of service without the threat of letters or taking matters further, then I sure ain't going to be paying Toyota car prices

to get what you get from those "lesser" car makers. So I guess I will still be voting with my feet and saving 25% or more

when it comes time to change.

Dave,

The first bullet point here:LINK makes an intertesting claim.

Might be of some use in negotiations as your pads have not, apparently, done this anywhere near satisfactorily :unsure:

I won't be having any further discussions with Mr T on this matter Dave. On Monday I said my piece and they said

theirs, as far as they are concerned there is nothing more to say and for my point of view, I ain't getting any

angrier than I was by trying to take it further. Toyota have their stance on such things and if they want to accept

they will lose customers because of their stance then fine. It's finished and I won't get my HBP any higher than it

already is. :thumbsup:

edit, should add, I PM'd TOC member Toyota PR to see if he has an opinion on this. Still waiting :rolleyes:

No shocks there then.

I won't be having any further discussions with Mr T on this matter Dave. On Monday I said my piece and they said

theirs, as far as they are concerned there is nothing more to say and for my point of view, I ain't getting any

angrier than I was by trying to take it further. Toyota have their stance on such things and if they want to accept

they will lose customers because of their stance then fine. It's finished and I won't get my HBP any higher than it

already is. :thumbsup:

edit, should add, I PM'd TOC member Toyota PR to see if he has an opinion on this. Still waiting :rolleyes:

No shocks there then.

I feel sorry for the franchised 'dealers'. I have had excellent service from WKB and Kings down here in Hampshire/West Sussex.

But, you are 100% correct in that we pay a premium for the privilege to own a Toyota and used to get top support from the dealers via the OEM.

I have e-mailed all the correspondence that I have had with TGB with a total list of the 'dealer opportunities' (warranty claims) I have suffered with my 4.3 and the debacle of changing the system of RFT exchange, to the dealer principles of my local Toyota outlets. I have made them aware that this is the end of Toyota ownership for me unless my brakes get get sorted out. I don't care who pays but it will not be me.

I really fancied the new FT86.... Never mind, I can have it with a 'Scubi-doo' Badge on the back instead.

you may all turn your nose up at this, but i worked at a Hyundai dealership for about 3 years, the warranty system there was very good, might be worth getting a new santa fe, nice motor with lots of kit and a 5 year warranty, also very reliable, just a thought.

Nowt wrong with Hyundai or Kia.

However, I am talking to TGB about this issue to try and understand the reasoning better.

For that what which it is worth, McRavvity is booked in on Tuesday for its first service (10,300mls covered), much to the chagrin of Anchorman....."change the oil yerself ya fat lazy person in charge of food and drinks at the golf club" he said.

I now note a bit of pad material transference on to the disks, and in fairness the car has only been getting relatively light usage.

So, recommended by he in the pink photo, I took it out and really leathered the brakes on from 50/60+.....and it has cleaned the disks up a bit, and definitely improved braking in general.

I will be mentioning this to Service Personnel at Arnie's at Bishopbriggs, who have thus far been exemplary on both my Avensis and now the Rav.

Will reportify on their findings.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

I will be mentioning this to Service Personnel at Arnie's at Bishopbriggs, who have thus far been exemplary on both my Avensis and now the Rav.

Will reportify on their findings.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Which is where mine was last week when all this started.

I guess it probably doesn't matter too much about which dealer can get authorisation for a repair, but as I mentioned, I did get my discs replaced under warranty without any hassles at 4.5 Years/47,000 miles at a dealership that is maybe not too far from you, Dave.

I can post it here or can PM you the name if you think it may be worth a shot?