Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Serpentine Belt Life

tropical_Z

Hi,

Anyone know how long these are meant to last before they should be replaced? Mine got shredded on the 4.2 petrol rav. The service a few weeks back didnt pick it up as anything that needed replacing. It lasted 100,000 miles though - a good lifespan? It did make me realise how heavy the car was without power steering though! my god!

Anyway, the local garage soon put things right - hopefully its good for another 100K miles!

I recently did a timing belt on a 4.2 at 50k and the serpentine belt showed no signs of wear. Its a very fiddly job to change it but if your experience is anything to go by I will change it at 70k.

• 1 month later...

I recently did a timing belt on a 4.2 at 50k and the serpentine belt showed no signs of wear. Its a very fiddly job to change it but if your experience is anything to go by I will change it at 70k.

Hi Anch, regarding your thread about srpentine belts, is there an easy/simple way to accsess serpendtine/fan belt on a 2002 rav D4D.? I,d appreciate any advice for future ref.

There is no easy way. The tensioner is a complete ***** to get at. Almost impossible from above, I took the cover off the bottom of the engine and if you look up it is squeezed right up by the radiator. If you go to the trouble of changing it, do the alternator belt at the same time as the serpentine has to come off first;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110862

Changed mine at about 97K as it was really squealing. Never did the alternator though. Never thought about it at the time. Stick the car on ramps it's easier. I also took the bottom cover off and did it from underneath. Who thought of putting the tensioner there?

They will start to looked cracked after about 50-70k but don't need replacing unless there are two or more adjacent ridges missing. The belt(s) on my 2.0 D4D corolla are still original (excl. cam belt) - so far I've done 170k.