Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Techtron Reduced Mileage?

Kapil

Hello,

I have a 1995 Toyota Celica ST (1.8L 4 cylinder) with 165k miles on it. I was consistently getting 27-29mpg on highway. Few months back I thought I would use the Chevron Techtron Fuel System Cleaner to increase the mileage/performance. The engine was marginally performing better than before but my mileage has drastically come down to 20-21mpg. :eek: I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, PCV valve as part of my service but these things did not help is solving the problem. :( Any thoughts on why my mileage reduced after using Chevron techtron?

Also please recommend me the best brand of engine oil to use for this version of Celica.... any help or insight will be highly appreciated.

i can't remember are american gallon's bigger than UK gallons?

you might find that because your injectors are cleaner then they are allowing more fuel to pass through. I'd get the emissions checked to make sure that your getting a clean burn still first

i can't remember are american gallon's bigger than UK gallons?

you might find that because your injectors are cleaner then they are allowing more fuel to pass through. I'd get the emissions checked to make sure that your getting a clean burn still first

Thanks for that info... i was thinking of doing that tomorrow when i take it to the mechanic.... do u think engine oil also effects the mileage? i think last time i got my oil changed at midas... and they used Valvoline 5w-30 oil. Which is the best oil for a 1995 celica?a few of my frnds said to use pennzoil. any insights?

for youe engine type I can safely say that oil brand won't make a big impact on the longevity of the engine, just make sure it's that same weight thats reccomended in the manual, taking a stab in the dark at 10W 40.

I found the problem..... the problem is in the fuel level indicator setting... i drove around the car to near empty until the fuel warning light showed up. And then I immediately filled a full tank and it filled only 12 gallons (US) instead of the regular 15.89 gallons. There is some rusting on my fuel hose which I am looking to replace it and also have the mechanic look at the fuel level sensor.