Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Few Corolla D4D Issues

jonny__g

so about 5 wks ago i ruptured my achilles tendon and haven't been able to drive since. during that time i've only manged to get the OH to take the car out a couple of times and i noticed a few "noises" when we were driving it yesterday. 1st thing is that when the clutch is pressed in, theree is an audible squeak. cant really hear it inside the car, only outside. it seems to be coming from the passengers side wheel arch area and in can hear it when the bonnet is up, coming from the RHS (as you look at it) of the engine bay.

2nd thing is that when braking from about 40, there was a soft flapping or tapping coming from the rear. it wasn't always happening and it was only on braking. it reminded me of the sound of driving on a flat but all the pressures are ok.

3rd thing is some noise when engaging disengaging the handbrake. not the familiar caliper-disc type noise, seems to be coming from the handbrake linkage.

i'm guessing that some of these may be related to the car "standing" for so long, but any suggestions as to fixing would be great. thanks

I've the same make and model as you. My clutch squeaks when pressed - always has done. Its a known and common issue with loads of messages on this forum.

My car also makes a creak/squeak when when I get out of the car. I once asked a garage to check it out and the didn't find anything wrong. Again I've seen a few posts here about the noises the handbrake makes so again it seems a known thing.

I think because you haven't driven the car for a while you are noticing things. It was the same with me. I didn't have the car for about a week a once and when I got it back I noticed loads of things and also started to convince myself things were wrong with it.

All the sounds you're asking about other than the braking one are known Corolla issues.

1. Clutch squeak - a very common problem on the Corolla, nothing to worry about as long as the clutch is functioning properly. It's not bad at all to live with the squeak day to day, window down wind noise or radio on and it covers the squeak anyway. Search the forum people have suggested where to shoot some WD40 but personally I haven't bothered with my car.

2. When you pull the handbreak up and get out of the car and it squeaks is the brake assembly grabbing the drum in order to keep the car still, or can be rear suspension squeaking as mine does sometimes. Again nothing major to worry about. Have your local mechanic quickly check it over or better still if MOT is around the corner they'll point out any issues. If you can locate it to the handbrake linkage a dab of grease should sort the noise out, is your handbrake correctly adjusted?

3. At the cost of sounding patronising, could the flapping noise be a rear window not closed properly? I mean you said it only happens when braking so I doubt it but it's worth a look.

As long as the car is correctly serviced and maintained these Corolla diesels are bulletproof, we use to have a 2002 2.0D4D Avensis (same engine as your car) and the person we sold it to is still driving it happily. I estimate the mileage to be around the 350,000 mark now. Just keep upto date with timing belts and servicing etc.

thanks for the replies. it prob is just me being OCD :)

as for a window being open, i have a 3 dr and the windows dont open in the rear but there is def something goin on with regards to the noise under braking

i'll maybe have a look at the weekend when i get time

thanks again for the help

No problem. Maybe get the car up on a 4 post ramp at a mechanics and just have a look around see if anything is loose or looks 'wrong'.

well all issues have been covered except for the brakes, my suggestion is that with the car laying up for a bit the brakes would have a good oxides layer and if your braking at 40mph was soft braking you would be wareing through this layer which may sound like a flapping or rubbing, my guess anyway, when iam driving along i can hear this, its on,off,on,off like a flat tyre as you say, my brakes do stick a little, i just tap the brake peddel and shes all good :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links