Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verso Gearbox Problems

versoowner2

i have a 56 plate verso tspirit with a noisy gearbox :censor:

are there any known problems with these boxs or am i unlucky???? :help2:

Never heard of any particular probs with the manual box but anything mechanical can break/wear :)

Has the gearbox oil ever been checked or replaced? Are there any oil drips under the car?

Has the gearbox oil ever been checked or replaced? Are there any oil drips under the car?

no leaks and next time i get a chance i'll check the oil

what spec oil goes in them???

if i sent the car into a toyota dealer for a full service would/should the gearbox be checked??

if i sent the car into a toyota dealer for a full service would/should the gearbox be checked??

Too right the gearbox would have the level checked and any leaks reported for repair.

just looked and the car went for an intermediate service in october just before the warrenty ran out :ffs:

• 1 month later...

update

toyota wanted a grand to strip and repair the box :censor:

so i stripped it myself and found 2 noisy bearings by th 5th gear

£70 :ffs: later for 2 bearings its now sorted :yahoo:

update

Its just as well your handy with the spanners :thumbsup:

update

Its just as well your handy with the spanners :thumbsup:

it took 3 weeks tho

• 2 months later...

Never heard of any particular probs with the manual box but anything mechanical can break/wear :)

At just over 60k miles my verso(manual gearbox)failed dramatically on a dual carriage way.There was a sudden loss of power and violent juddering.I believe this is a safety issue and from reading other posts it is not isolated.Toyota disagree,i would be very interested to hear from others with similar stories.

At just over 60k miles my verso(manual gearbox)failed dramatically on a dual carriage way.There was a sudden loss of power and violent juddering.I believe this is a safety issue and from reading other posts it is not isolated.Toyota disagree,i would be very interested to hear from others with similar stories.

I had a similar problem with my 2006 Verso (65000 km on clock). Whilst driving on an open road about 100-120km/h, felt strange power in 4th gear, changed to 5th but would not take, just felt healvy and slight over revving. Tried to move back to 4th gear but also would not take. Eventually died on the side of the road and could not be restarted. At Toyota workshop now but they claim that a mis shift (changing from 4th to 3rd at high speed) caused valve bounce and entire cam shaft totalled. I know for a fact that I did not change from 4th to 3rd and there was no noise or anything which my experts say I would have heard a huge noise.

Would be grateful to hear from anyone with similar problem as I am fighting Toyota the cost to repair(about 2000 pounds) as I think something was faulty with vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 56 plate verso tspirit with a noisy gearbox :censor:

are there any known problems with these boxs or am i unlucky???? :help2:

At 70 mph on a busy dual carriage way with no hardshoulder my gearbox failed dramatically almost killing my family.Not only did we lose power and the car juddered violently but there was a mechanical restriction that slowed us very quickly even in neutral.Toyota say this is not a safety issue I was there and it was.I would like to hear from others with similar problems.It was 54 Verso with 68k.

These gearbox failures do sound dangerous. I am assuming that they are happening on cars that have a full Toyota service history and one owner from new who knows how the gears have been treated?

• 9 months later...

Adding to the theme here, I've got a 1.8 Petrol Verso (2006) that has needed gearbox repairs at just over 60,000 miles. I've had the car from new with a full service history and I'm a little surprised about this problem at relatively low mileage. The dealer did me a reasonable deal on the repair, but I'd expect better reliability from Toyota. I wonder if this is a more generic gearbox issue or just bad luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

to add to this,the synchro is now going on 3rd gear :ffs: :ffs:

52k miles on the clock,and the clutch is on its last legs :ffs: :unsure:

i expected better of toyota than this,its a nice motor but she wont be with us much longer

• 1 month later...

I've replaced gearbox bearings twice in the last 18 months in my 07 verso ( 1.6 petrol ) . Full toyota service history my ***** , i've had to foot the bill both times . The worst car i've ever owned and soon enough to be my last ever toyota . This is not an isolated incident but Toyota don't want to know . Just look at sunday times article of last sunday 05/02/2012.

I wish I'd known a bit about these gearbox bearings always giving trouble , I've replaced them twice since the warranty ran out , first time 1 month after warranty ran out now 18 months later and only 26k ( including a full service ) on the clock since last bearings went in I've had to do it again . Both times Toyota did'nt want know , and dealer just called it hard luck !!!! . that Sunday times article of 05/02/2012 was bang on in my opinion . Cant wait to be rid of this verso , never wasting my money on Toyota again . ( end of rant ) . JH.

• 1 year later...

I had a similar problem with my 2006 Verso (65000 km on clock). Whilst driving on an open road about 100-120km/h, felt strange power in 4th gear, changed to 5th but would not take, just felt healvy and slight over revving. Tried to move back to 4th gear but also would not take. Eventually died on the side of the road and could not be restarted. At Toyota workshop now but they claim that a mis shift (changing from 4th to 3rd at high speed) caused valve bounce and entire cam shaft totalled. I know for a fact that I did not change from 4th to 3rd and there was no noise or anything which my experts say I would have heard a huge noise.

Would be grateful to hear from anyone with similar problem as I am fighting Toyota the cost to repair(about 2000 pounds) as I think something was faulty with vehicle.

I appreciate this is bumping an old thread, but we suffered similar on an 05 Verso on 95k miles diesel back in 2010. Changing gear (particularly 1-2-3) got harder until the whole thing packed up and had to be recovered.

Toyota dealership ended up replacing gearbox and clutch, £2.5k, chaching. Toyota themselves were 'unable' (come on, you mean 'unwilling') to help.

Then I noticed the previous owners had replaced the clutch just 10k miles before!

It's been getting worse again over time, so having read how it's a common fault and Toyota did know this given how many other owners have contacted them (but denied they'd had others with the issue contact them), we've traded it in for another marque. Like many others, I'd never have another Toyota, I bought it believing they were reliable but they really let us down.

One of the common reasons for car manufacturers not providing help when asked for goodwill contributions such as this, is that the vehicle concerned has been taken out of the dealer network for servicing and maintenance.

Recently BMW were featured on BBC Watchdog regarding timing chain problems, and they only provided goodwill in cases where the cars involved had BMW service histories.

Did the car have a full Toyota service history?.

It didn't have a Toyota SH, but it was serviced in a proper garage.

I'm not a mechanic, but I was led to believe that gearboxes weren't something that needs servicing and is a closed units. Historically, I have always seen gearboxes as things that last over 100k, not 10k (and potentially 15k now).

Some may point fingers in my (and my wife's) direction for driving style, but again in shared driving experience of nearly 40 years, this is the first clutch and gearbox that needed replacing.

Cars do go wrong, but this is the first to go so wrong for us and to then see that it's already happened to the car and that others are suffering from it; we noted that on driving past the Verso when we left in the new car, for the first time in doing this, we didn't feel a sense of gratitude to the old car for its service.

Irrespective of the fact that the gearbox didn't need servicing, the car didn't have a full Toyota service history. Toyota would not have known whether servicing and maintenance had been carried out as they specify, and thus declined to offer any goodwill.

This approach would have been the same with any other manufacturer.

You bought the car at five years old and with 95k miles, and the clutch, not the gearbox, had been replaced 10k miles before purchase. So presumably the gearbox had lasted for around 100k miles.

All true points.

But it looks like a 'reliable' manufacturer's car will need three replacement clutches and one gearbox in just over 100k.

The previous owner's driving style could well have contributed to the first and second clutch replacements - something that we will not be able determine.