Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Gauge To Get?

jacob.collins

Finally got my penny's together to buy a boost controller and a couple of gauges, think I'm going to buy the blitz electronic boost controller Spec-S, but I'm not sure what gauges. Think I'll stick with blitz unless anyone has good recommendations, but I'm not sure of the differences between Vacuum, electronic, or mechanical. Do I need electronic because the boost controller is? :huh: Any info would be a great help, also I'm going to get the A-pillar that will hold two gauges, can anyone recommend a helpful second gauge? I was thinking oil pressure or may be exhaust?

SPA do some nice dual digital jobbies. i have one that does boost and inlet air temp( useful for tuning) and an EGT (exhaust gas temp) again usfulf for making sure everything is healthy. SPA digi guages are about £140 but shop around.

also if you can mount the guages elsewhere then do as piller pods give you a nice fat blind spot (i'm binning mine soon)

Finally got my penny's together to buy a boost controller and a couple of gauges, think I'm going to buy the blitz electronic boost controller Spec-S, but I'm not sure what gauges. Think I'll stick with blitz unless anyone has good recommendations, but I'm not sure of the differences between Vacuum, electronic, or mechanical. Do I need electronic because the boost controller is? :huh: Any info would be a great help, also I'm going to get the A-pillar that will hold two gauges, can anyone recommend a helpful second gauge? I was thinking oil pressure or may be exhaust?

Never heard of a vacuum gauge before - unless all it is - is a gauge that just measures vacuum - if it is then you dont want this.

The two types of boost gauge you can get are Mechanical and Electronic.

Mechanical means that you take a feed from the engine bay and run a small pipe into the cabin which hooks directly upto the back of the gauge.

Electronic means you hook up a sender unit in the engine bay and then run wires through to the cabin.

Generally Electronic ones are considered better although they are often over twice as expensive.

Most of the known brands (Greddy, HKS, Blitz) are supposed to be good, a few other brands that might be worth considering is Defi, SPA Designs (those two are renouned for quality) and finally Autometer which is a well regarded budget brand.

As for a second gauge I would recommend either a Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge or an Air Fuel Ratio Gauge, both of these will give you an indication if you are running lean which is very very bad.

Personally I run a boost gauge and an EGT.

As for controllers I have owned an Apexi AVC-r which I was very impressed with and I currently have the HKS EVC 5 which in my opinion is not quite as good but nonetheless a decent piece of kit.

:)

Hope this is of some use.

:thumbsup: Thanks alot boys I'll start shopping around, think I'll concentrate on getting my gauges in first, the boost controller can wait until my brain stops hurting

I have a Greddy Electronic peak and hold gauge which I can confirm is great....also a profec b dual stage electronic boost controller which again Im more than happy with.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Defi all the way. They have peak/hold/warning, but also a 3 minute record/playback function and all the gauges you will ever need are controlled from a central control unit (you buy the control unit plus first gauge, then just add gauges). They manufacture gauges for GReddy, and I'm sure for Blitz too as their flashy new units use the same black-look technology as Defi. www.scoobymania.co.uk do good prices.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links