Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Disconnection

ToyotaDomo

If you disconnect the Battery on an avensis does the management light stay on when you reconnect? This happened on my old carina e and you have to short out a couple of terminals to reset it, and I was wondering if the avensis is the same.

If you disconnect the battery on an avensis does the management light stay on when you reconnect? This happened on my old carina e and you have to short out a couple of terminals to reset it, and I was wondering if the avensis is the same.

Hi,

Which year /model are you talking about ?

If its the 1998 - 2000 then no problems when you reconnect other than retuning the radio.

Sorry to jump in on this but same question on a 2005 2.0 D4D hatchback, will disconnecting the Battery for about a day cause problems with anything? Key fobs still work, radio, air con etc etc?

David

If you disconnect the battery on an avensis does the management light stay on when you reconnect? This happened on my old carina e and you have to short out a couple of terminals to reset it, and I was wondering if the avensis is the same.

Hi,

If its the 1998 - 2000 then no problems when you reconnect other than retuning the radio.

IT is a 1.8 petrol 2006 model and thanks for asking

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

IT is a 1.8 petrol 2006 model and thanks for asking

Still no info from anyone??????????????

There should be no problem after connection except for radio reset. However connect the +ve first then the -ve terminal in that order.

• 1 month later...

There should be no problem after connection except for radio reset. However connect the +ve first then the -ve terminal in that order.

I love the SHOULD BE part of that lol. Whatever happened to no problem at all? Thanks anyway for responding.

However connect the +ve first then the -ve terminal in that order.

I would like to raise another question about disconnecting and reconnecting a Battery.

Contrary to what rfakins says If I wanted to disconnect a Battery I would take off the LIVE terminal first, and then the EARTH last.

Upon reconnection I would connect the EARTH first and the LIVE last...

The question is...Am I wrong???

Trev..

However connect the +ve first then the -ve terminal in that order.

I would like to raise another question about disconnecting and reconnecting a Battery.

Contrary to what rfakins says If I wanted to disconnect a Battery I would take off the LIVE terminal first, and then the EARTH last.

Upon reconnection I would connect the EARTH first and the LIVE last...

The question is...Am I wrong???

Trev..

Yes Trev, you are wrong. Safest way is to disconnect the earth first, positive second and then earth last on reconnection.

Reasoning behind it, if you have a spanner/socket/tool on the positive and accidentally touch any metal part of the car with that tool on the pozzy terminal.... DEAD SHORT! (that could be the bonnet stay, inner wing etc.)

Once the earth is disconnected, the pozzy can only be shorted to the actual Battery neggy terminal and nowhere else.

When disconnecting the neggy first, the only place you are likely to short to, is the pozzy terminal, the bodywork etc is all neggy so is safe.

Hopefully you understand what I mean.

Hi Q.S.

Many thanks for your wise words... "Yes Trev, you are wrong. Safest way is to disconnect the earth first, positive second and then earth last on reconnection".

I am glad that you have told me the correct way, now I am better informed.

Cheers. Trev..

100% sure nothing will happen coz i ve disconnected my Battery several time when was adding amplifier and everything was okay except radio reset

should not be an issue , my batt went flat while i was on hols, no probs when new one fitted

Despite lots of posts, I don't think this original question has been answered.

I am presuming you mean, "can the EML be extinguished by disconnecting the Battery? or does it hold the fault in memory and light up again on reconnection?"

I believe the light will be turned off, although the fault may remain recorded in memory.

To ToyotaDoma.

Just to back up Q.S. removing fuse on the MK1 Avensis clears MIL light & erases stored faults. Post 2003 MK2 Avensis is different, you may well pull fuse and switch off EML light but fault code will still be recorded in the ECM/ECU (what ever term you wish to use) unit behind glove box. You have to use some sort of code reader to clear the memory. And you always remove earth lead first (one of the first things any apprentice learns)thus breaking circuit. Reasons for this pointed out by Q.S.

Regards, Beagh.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again to all the responses. I did disconnect the Battery and had fault lights before or after disconnect / reconnect. All I had to do was to resave radio stations and set clock again. Some of the other info about fault lights etc were very interesting. Thanks again lads.