Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Paint Splashes From The Rav

Catweazle

Whilst cleaning the RAV yesterday noticed that the roof and whole of the passenger side is covered with tiny splashes of white paint which shows up a treat on carbon quartz. I can only assume that whilst parked somewhere, some kind person has decided to paint the outside of their house and the wind has carried the spray onto my beloved RAV.

I've tried to polish it off but it doesn't want to shift. I've managed to remove some of the larger splashes very carefully with the tip of a craft knife but the thousands of smaller ones are too small for this.

Does anyone have any experience of how to remove it without damaging the surrounding paintwork?

Whilst cleaning the RAV yesterday noticed that the roof and whole of the passenger side is covered with tiny splashes of white paint which shows up a treat on carbon quartz. I can only assume that whilst parked somewhere, some kind person has decided to paint the outside of their house and the wind has carried the spray onto my beloved RAV.

I've tried to polish it off but it doesn't want to shift. I've managed to remove some of the larger splashes very carefully with the tip of a craft knife but the thousands of smaller ones are too small for this.

Does anyone have any experience of how to remove it without damaging the surrounding paintwork?

what polish have you tried? You could try an aggresive clay kit. I would recommend this as a good purchase for your car anyway despite the overspray. They are readily available on-line or locally from Halfords Meguiars clay Kit. Failing that are good APC with low dilution rate should move it nor a combination of these things.

hope that helps

Thanks Bluevortex

I tried the Turtle Wax polish that I normally use. What's all this clay stuff about then? Have things moved on from T-Cut! Does clay take off a layer of paint like T-cut does or is it a better option? Also, sorry to show my ignorance, but what's APC?

Thanks Bluevortex

I tried the Turtle Wax polish that I normally use. What's all this clay stuff about then? Have things moved on from T-Cut! Does clay take off a layer of paint like T-cut does or is it a better option? Also, sorry to show my ignorance, but what's APC?

No - detailing clay won't remove any paint at all. You use it with a detailing spray (Meguairs smooth surface clay kit). Put simply it removes all micro contaminants on the paint surface that a normal shampoo won't touch. If you run your knuckles over the dry paint surface and it feels rough to the touch then you really need to clay. It's very simple to use and will make such a difference. You should always clay prior to polishing imho.

T-cut is so old school and not nessicary (far too abrasive). Yes it will restore paint but at the cost of how many microns of paint/clear coat? If you are hand polishing then I would recommend Meguiars 1, 2 & 3 or Autoglym Super resin polish followed by Extra gloss protection (all available from Halfords). It's going to be extremely difficult to do any sort of paint crrection by hand so your best bet is to use a polish that has a filling agent (to mask fine swirls \defects). This is why I recommend SRP then EGP. Even when i'm machine polishing I use SRP on difficult to access areas (under door handles etc).

Blue

I would use a brand new razor blade at a very steep angle.

:eek:

:eek:

:eek: indeed.

Big risk I would have thought? one slip .....

Not got a specific product in mind, but is there not some kind of paint stripper (stay with me ......  :) ) that will work on/dissolve water-based paints (which is most likely what the stray paint will be) and will not affect the solvent based car paint/lacquer? 

Two possible options that I'd use;

Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover - might work well if it's an emulsion type paint

Something like Greased Lightning's Showroom Shine (which incidentally smells like furniture polish) or something similar.

If you think it's home paint, i.e. gloss or emulsion, then you could try turpentine substitute (which is what you would use to clean brushes with). My only advise is to try a bit of turps in an area on the car that can't be seen just in case it reacts. But going off previous experience i have never seen it react with cellulose or 2k paint.

WD40 is actually great for tar removal but i don't think it would remove paint.

I once got paint on a new BMW by a complete cretin painting the eaves. I have got some razors with a grip on one side and used them to scrape the paint off without leaving any mark whatsoever. I think abrasives will erode the surrounding lacquer before they will shift the paint.

If you think it's home paint, i.e. gloss or emulsion, then you could try turpentine substitute (which is what you would use to clean brushes with). My only advise is to try a bit of turps in an area on the car that can't be seen just in case it reacts. But going off previous experience i have never seen it react with cellulose or 2k paint.

WD40 is actually great for tar removal but i don't think it would remove paint.

You could try a drop of brush renovator too - it softens dried paintbrushes a treat. It is designed to work with household paints but I have no idea if it would react with the car paint so, if you fancy a go, test on a tiny area out of normal view first.

The instructions on the tin of B&Q brush renovator that I have say to rinse off with water after soaking brush but it does also warn not to use a plastic container so I guess it would react with plastic trim :unsure:

Have you spoken to a bodyshop for their advice?

I’d agree with “Mach 1”, if it’s an oil based paint ie. gloss, I’d use white spirit substitute on a cloth and have a sponge of soapy water.

It works a treat on tar spots etc and I’ve never had a problem with it damaging the paintwork or alloys.

But as always, treat with caution and try a small area first.

Let us know which method if any you use, and, which worked out best.

Caus at the end of the day if the :censor:sh 1 t hits the fan, it’s your responsibility.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I'll give them a go and let you know which worked best for future reference.

Oh dear, that brings memories back to when the same thing happened to me. I was rolling on white masonary paint to parts of the house. The next day, I noticed the wind had done the same thing to our black RAV :o . I was shocked. I ended up scraping each speck off with an old bank card mixed with very hot soapy water. The card was cut to a thin strip to make it more flexible. (Yes, that day it was my flexible friend) It took a long long time, but it worked for our RAV.

I knew you were cut throat :lol: :lol:

And the winner is.................

Bug & Tar Remover

After laying out £50 for clay kits as Halfords still have there 3 for 2 offer on cleaning products, I gave them a bash but found it didn't even touch the paint splashes. However, it isn't money wasted as it seems to remove all the tiny pimples from the paint which show up when you apply polish.

I then tried a bit of bug & tar remover and with a little rubbing the paint splashes started to disappear. However, I had to stop as the sun came out and the stuff was drying in an instant.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

And the winner is.................

Bug & Tar Remover

After laying out £50 for clay kits as Halfords still have there 3 for 2 offer on cleaning products, I gave them a bash but found it didn't even touch the paint splashes. However, it isn't money wasted as it seems to remove all the tiny pimples from the paint which show up when you apply polish.

I then tried a bit of bug & tar remover and with a little rubbing the paint splashes started to disappear. However, I had to stop as the sun came out and the stuff was drying in an instant.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Glad you're sorted Cat - a useful nugget for future reference.

If you need some additional clay bar muscle, I hear Big Kev is becoming something of an expert :rolleyes: