Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid

Fujisan

Lately I've been intermittently popping to check the Toyota website for details of the Auris HSD. They have details of the vehicle but no prices. Having read the article on your link I can see why they've not mentioned the price so far. It's only £500 less than the Prius!

What's the point of that?

The Auris is a smaller car, and not the best looking car Toyota have ever designed, so I expected the HSD version to be at least a grand or two lower than the Prius. Why buy a smaller, less practical car for virtually the same money? I understand they don't want to lose sales from the Prius to the Auris if they offered the Auris at a lower price, but £500 is hardly here or there.

Still nice that it's made in the UK and I am pleased that Toyota have chosen the UK to build this model and also Nissan building their European Leaf here too.

Wife and I went into to toyotas yesterday to find out a bit more about the new Hybrid Auris but as you say it only works out a little less than the Prius.

Anyway after 3 hrs in there we walked out poorer as my wife ordered a new Prius T Spirit.

Well done - you'll love it! :thumbsup:

Thanks she is coming from a Nissan Xtrail 4x4 so a slight difference.

Then again I went from a 5 month old BMW M3 convertible to an IQ so I cant talk. Love me Iq thou so much fun, aprt from the 0-60 :)

We have got fed up with paying rediculous petrol and tax prices.

Thanks she is coming from a Nissan Xtrail 4x4 so a slight difference....

Good for her.... my wife made the same change from a X-trail to the Prius.... she has never regreted it :thumbsup:

Thanks she is coming from a Nissan Xtrail 4x4 so a slight difference....

Good for her.... my wife made the same change from a X-trail to the Prius.... she has never regreted it :thumbsup:

And my wife is changing from her Nissan Murano to a Prius once the little robots are finished building it in September...

What I especially didn't like of the auris is the "normal" interior. And you can't specify hids.

Toyota have released the following information today :thumbsup:

Grades and equipment specifications

Auris Hybrid is offered in the UK in two specification grades, T4 and T Spirit. T4 models can be specified with 15 or optional 17-inch wheels, with the larger rims standard on the T Spirit version. The choice of wheel size has a slight effect on CO2 emissions and fuel consumption.

Key features of the standard T4 include: -

* Climate control air conditioning

* Six-speaker audio with CD, radio, MP3 file player

* USB and Aux-in connection

* Front and rear electric windows

* Electric, heated door mirrors

* Front fog lights

* LED running lights

* Colour-matched door handles and mirrors

* Push-button start

* Seven airbags, including driver’s knee airbag

* Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRC)

* Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)

T Spirit grade adds the following items: -

* Leather and Alcantara upholstery

* Cruise control

* bluetooth

* Dusk-sensing headlamps

* Rain-sensing windscreen wipers

* Smart Entry and Start

* Auto-dimming electrochromatic rear view mirror

* Rear view camera display in rear view mirror

A Navigation Pack is available, providing satellite navigation, rear camera and rear parking sensors. bluetooth, with steering wheel controls, is also offered as an option for the T4.

Prices

The new Auris Hybrid T4 model costs £18,950 on-the-road and the T Spirit model costs £20,700.

An optional Navigation Pack, providing satellite navigation, rear camera and rear parking sensors, costs £1,200, and bluetooth can be specified for the T4 version for £285.

My Missus went with me to pick up my prius and ended up buying herself a Gen 2 one.

It's still £18k for what is effectively a Corolla!

But I guess time will tell whether it sells well or not. Probably will be popular with Londoners or fleets.

It's still £18k for what is effectively a Corolla!

But I guess time will tell whether it sells well or not. Probably will be popular with Londoners or fleets.

Nearest comparisons are.......

Audi A3 1.6 TDI 105 Start/Stop £18,005 (3dr only)

(99g/km - £0 road tax, 74.3mpg)

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi ECOnetic £20,427 (5dr)

(99g/km - £0 road-tax, 74.2mpg)

Vauxhall (new) Astra 1.3 CDT1 ecoFLEX S £18,525 (5dr)

(109g/km - £20 road tax, 67.3mpg)

VW Golf 1.6 TDi Buemotion S/S £18,685 (5dr)

(99g/km - £0 road tax, 74.3mpg)

Now, factor in the cost of automatic transmission, which is not even available as an option on any of those cars, but where it is available on similar petrol models, costs an additional £1200-£1500! The Auris hybrid then become a comparative bargain, and it can save a potential £2500 per annum in congestion fees here in London.

Plus, IT'S BRITISH BUILT!! :yahoo:

It might sell rather better than you expect G.C., Toyota could be on to a winner here.

Hey fair point.

I like the comparisons against the other models. It's very competitive when seen against the alternatives and like you say, it has auto transmission, which is always hard to get on lower models.

Also, how many of the above oil burners can get 0-60 mph in 10 seconds? hmmmm, thought not.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really looking forward to the Auris HSD as I was looking for a change from the Yaris (have had the same model cars for the last few years).

I thought the Auris was going to be a great inbetween car for me, that was untill I saw the prices.

Yesturday we ordered ourselves a T4 Prius with the rear parking sensors. I know that costs more than the top Auris model, but the fact it can be delivered before the end of the month we will get the 3 years free servicing on top of the 5 years warranty.

Toyota have really dropped the ball when it comes to pricing on the Auris HSD. In fact the dealer told us that they are aware of the complaints on pricing, so the Prius models will actually be going up in price :(

... so the Prius models will actually be going up in price :(

That should please Honda.

My thoughts too. The new Insight which hasn't been a sales success would probably start to sell again. I first looked at the Insight but thought it just too much of a compromise when I could have a Prius for £1,500 more. But if Toyota push the Prius up over the £20,000 mark I think they will start to lose cusomters - as it would be nearly £4,000 more than the Insight!

Yeah the Insight has its 'issues' but £4k is £4k!!

My thoughts too. The new Insight which hasn't been a sales success would probably start to sell again. I first looked at the Insight but thought it just too much of a compromise when I could have a Prius for £1,500 more. But if Toyota push the Prius up over the £20,000 mark I think they will start to lose cusomters - as it would be nearly £4,000 more than the Insight!

Yeah the Insight has its 'issues' but £4k is £4k!!

Totally agree, Toyota need to remember that the Insight is advertised as a Hybrid and not everyone will know that the Insight and the Prius are still totally different. I test drove the Insight and it was a 'nice' drive but when I test drove the Prius I could tell I was going to get something in a totally different class.

Most people will be driven by price and won't even set foot in the Toyota dealer

Yes the Toyota is in a different class and was certainly worth the £2,000 more when I purchased back in October. But you'd have to think long and hard to pay an extra £4,000 for the Prius. Also, there are probably many motorists out there where £16k is their max budget for a new car. I know that is just on the limit for my g/friend.

The Insight isn't a bad car, it's just not as good as the Prius.

But I guess that Toyota are hoping that potential Insight buyers will switch to the Auris?