Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Thought They Were Supposed To Sort Out The Leaky Seals Ages Ago

mrplebby

damming reviews on leaks

I new these cars had problems with water getting into footwells and boot, but i also read they sorted them out by fitting new seal, but this doesnt seem to fix the problems or only for a short time, there is no denying these aygo's C1's and 107 have a problem with water getting inside and what shocks me most its still a problem up to at least 2009 which i was hoping it was sorted out by now.

I am seriously been put off these now, what with water getting inside, clutches wearing prematurely and i read the other day about piston slap on a 30k engine, everything u dont want. :(

Dave

I think it seems like a lot of Aygos are leaky because we hear about the ones that leak more than the ones that don't leak. Mine has never leaked (fingers crossed), and I have yet to experience a worn clutch. I try to reduce clutch use by changing gear less, skipping gears (4th to 2nd, for example) etc - it saves the clutch and also benefits fuel economy. Then again, we once had a Peugeot in the family with a prematurely-worn clutch :-/

Well to be honest, every car is going to have bad reviews. You're only coming across these reviews because angry people are writing them. People who are mega-pleased with their car are less likely to go and write a review. You can't really generalise what is, in reality, a small number of reviews, to every car. I saw some bad reviews before I bought mine, but it didn't put me off - every car has a fair share of poor reviews. You just hear about the bad ones. This Aygo club forum is the best place to get info on the car. Mine has been completely trouble-free, and I couldn't be more pleased. The 'reviews' (bad ones in particular) aren't reliable sources of information in my opinion. I'm guessing you're a bit unsure as to whether you should buy an Aygo - test drive one and see what you think :)

Well to be honest, every car is going to have bad reviews. You're only coming across these reviews because angry people are writing them. People who are mega-pleased with their car are less likely to go and write a review. You can't really generalise what is, in reality, a small number of reviews, to every car. I saw some bad reviews before I bought mine, but it didn't put me off - every car has a fair share of poor reviews. You just hear about the bad ones. This Aygo club forum is the best place to get info on the car. Mine has been completely trouble-free, and I couldn't be more pleased. The 'reviews' (bad ones in particular) aren't reliable sources of information in my opinion. I'm guessing you're a bit unsure as to whether you should buy an Aygo - test drive one and see what you think :)

I havent test driven one yet but will do soon, i tend to disagree somewhat about bad reviews not been reliable, maybe different with cars than other products, im going off the subject a little but u cannot always trust good reviews either, as some forums you see on the internet that are related to the product in question, and good reviews can be written falsely to try and boost product sales, my motto is believe the bad reviews as they have nothin to gain by venting there anger.

Well to be honest, every car is going to have bad reviews. You're only coming across these reviews because angry people are writing them. People who are mega-pleased with their car are less likely to go and write a review. You can't really generalise what is, in reality, a small number of reviews, to every car. I saw some bad reviews before I bought mine, but it didn't put me off - every car has a fair share of poor reviews. You just hear about the bad ones. This Aygo club forum is the best place to get info on the car. Mine has been completely trouble-free, and I couldn't be more pleased. The 'reviews' (bad ones in particular) aren't reliable sources of information in my opinion. I'm guessing you're a bit unsure as to whether you should buy an Aygo - test drive one and see what you think smile.gif

I havent test driven one yet but will do soon, i tend to disagree somewhat about bad reviews not been reliable, maybe different with cars than other products, im going off the subject a little but u cannot always trust good reviews either, as some forums you see on the internet that are related to the product in question, and good reviews can be written falsely to try and boost product sales, my motto is believe the bad reviews as they have nothin to gain by venting there anger.

But an angry punter is somewhat prone to exaggerate their misery... If only for effect crybaby.gif

Review from a Aygo a week old bought this year 2010

2010 aygo review

Sorry two weeks old my mistake.

some reviews on 2009 aygo's

not a single good one.

Wow! There's some unhappy bunnies on there!

I'm still not convinced on the numbers, though. The Aygo/C1/107 have sold "x" thousands of cars, and I wonder how many (as a percentage) are affected by the water leaks ?

Supposedly, 300,000 units are sold per year (100,000 per brand - Aygo/107/C1) so even if 3000 cars per annum were leaky, that's only 1% of the total vehicles sold. - Still not ideal, but if the other 99% were leak free....?

I don't know. I'm just guessing. Mine leaked and my dealer sorted it. Maybe I've been lucky?

I also dont know if I'd have been put off by reading those reviews before I'd bought mine...glad I didn't tho' as I think the Aygo's a great car that costs peanuts to run! :)

Well to be honest, every car is going to have bad reviews. You're only coming across these reviews because angry people are writing them. People who are mega-pleased with their car are less likely to go and write a review. You can't really generalise what is, in reality, a small number of reviews, to every car. I saw some bad reviews before I bought mine, but it didn't put me off - every car has a fair share of poor reviews. You just hear about the bad ones. This Aygo club forum is the best place to get info on the car. Mine has been completely trouble-free, and I couldn't be more pleased. The 'reviews' (bad ones in particular) aren't reliable sources of information in my opinion. I'm guessing you're a bit unsure as to whether you should buy an Aygo - test drive one and see what you think smile.gif

But an angry punter is somewhat prone to exaggerate there misery... If only for effect crybaby.gif

I agree - they're usually in an angry frame of mind when they're writing these reviews, so they often come across worse. It's unfortunate, but true.

The issue with the leaks is that the single door seal these cars come fitted from factory compresses over time (IE: as the door is opened and shut). As the seal itself contracts through pressure of the door, water is able to leak through because the seal isn't as tight as it used to be.

The problem Toyota have is with fitting the additional door seals is that they are stuck on. Unless the Dealer gets the job perfect in terms of adhesion, the adhesive will be exposed to the elements and like any glue that is confronted with water, will give way.

I have my doubts as to how long a stuck on seal will hold given the elements...but the car has a 3 year warranty for a reason ;)

Our Aygo has had 4 brand new sets of seals in the last 4 months. Each time the seal was not glued to the car properly and the most recent set were applied when it went in for its first service last week. To their credit Toyota MK seem to have done a proper job this time, with the seals seemingly very well fitted to the car - but again, time will tell.

Aygos leak, thats a fact...and they will continue to do so until Toyota fit proper door seals to these cars.

How about this review, she isnt happy at all :ffs:

"I bought my Aygo in March 06 since then it has caused nothing but problems! It is now in the garage for the 5th time due to a water leak in both passenger front and rear footwells and the boot. It has also been in for a new boot lock, 2 new radiators a new clutch, 2 full sets of tires and brakes!!!! This car is nothing but a nightmare and I would NEVER recommend an Aygo or Toyota ever again. Its such an inconvenience both to me and the fact I now have a 16 week old daughter who is having to be driven around in a damp, smelly car!!! Its rubbish."

:crybaby::crybaby:

"My Aygo leaks. The nightmare comes true. After reading so many complaints about leaks in the Aygo and three months after I bought it , there’s water inside the car. I feel so sad. And also there’s more condensation inside the car that outside. I chose Toyota but now I’m disappointed. I Thought I had a great car but I was wrong. It’s not well made. They should have made it in Japan. It’s... a nightmare. I ’d like to change it for another car but I’m still paying the car. Could I do it? I’m so disappointed..."

:crybaby::crybaby:

I dont have the problem. As most comments on this seem to concern rear foot wells is this something which effects mainly 5 door cars????

I dont have the problem. As most comments on this seem to concern rear foot wells is this something which effects mainly 5 door cars????

Some leaks have nothing to do with the door seals, the leaks in my car were caused by the membrane that is behind the door Speakers. it would soke up rain water that drips from the glass, and when it was saturated with water, the water would drip through the membrane, into the inner part of the door, and eventually drip down to the footwells / carpets.

for those who have leaks, do they have Speakers on those doors? maybe it would be a suggestion for the dealer! they replaced the black membrane behind the speaker with a new white/yellowish one... no leaks since!

I thought it seemed to happen mostly with 3-door models. Mine's a 5-door and hasn't leaked... the majority of the complaints I've heard of appear to be regarding 3-door models :-/

we have had three hatch seals now. the fitting was the problem - not until this one, which seems to work, was fitted with the join at the BOTTOM centre of the hole.

apart from a dodgy couple of water pumps and a few gaskets all our problems have been on work done at the dealer......don't get me started on the steering wheel!

we finally found a competent one so all seems well.

having moaned on here quite a bit, to be fair the car has always started first time and even with the faults they haven't been urgent repairs. you get a pretty good spec car for the money and they are reliable if built to a cost. you just have to keep to the service and maintenance and also have a good look round it every now and then (that goes fr all cars). For her car to get mouldy and smelly it must have been leaking for a while. also to get through two sets of tyres and brakes how badly is she driving it - its a town car not a sports car!

bad news always travels fast.

I had two new door seals fitted a couple of weeks ago the additional body one ones. They seem fine no leaks at the minute there just two rubber strips that the dealer stick on fingers crossed it stops it.

• 1 month later...

Had my 2010 aygo blue 1 week now and last night it rained for a good 10 hours solid, got up this morning and car is nice and dry. Maybe they sorted the leaks out for the 2010 model year?

Had my 2010 aygo blue 1 week now and last night it rained for a good 10 hours solid, got up this morning and car is nice and dry. Maybe they sorted the leaks out for the 2010 model year?

In my experience, the answer is 'no'.

Reason being, that while the car is new, the standard factory fit seals are puffy. Over time with use, they loose their puffiness and fail to adequately seal against the door frame. Consequently you get the leak.

ALL Aygos will leak, its just a question of when!

And there is no guarantee that with the additional seal fitted, they will stop the leak because the Dealer has to stick them onto the car...if they don't do a good enough job, then the adhesive itself gives way over time and you still get a leak. Our Aygo went back 4 times for seals...they just didn't bother to make sure they fitted them correctly.

I still have reservations as to how long the adhesive on the seals will last though?

Both my sisters have aygos which are around 4 years old, none have had problems with leaks!

Nope! Not true. I have a 2007 Aygo Blue, and as mentioned before on this forum. It does NOT leak! My brother has a 5 door Aygo, and that doesnt leak either. No idea why some cars do, and amd some dont. The 2010 reg model hasnt had any new seals made or developed as there woud be new part numbers, and I ve heard of none.

I am beginning to feel left out, try as I might I can not get it to leak.

What am I doing wrong ? biggrin.gif

model year 2009 onwards DOES HAVE additional seals fitted to the top of the door frames as standard.

As yet my dealer still refuses to retro fit them to my 2007 Blue.........

here's hoping

I am beginning to feel left out, try as I might I can not get it to leak.

What am I doing wrong ? biggrin.gif

take the seals off, or make small holes lol then it will leak :thumbsup: better dry than wet :yahoo:

If having the seals messed around with or changed doesn't fix the leak ask them to check the door membranes, My leak was cause by one not being fitted correctly at the factory and I think others on here have had the same issue.

If having the seals messed around with or changed doesn't fix the leak ask them to check the door membranes, My leak was cause by one not being fitted correctly at the factory and I think others on here have had the same issue.

Thats a very good point. I believe the 5 doors suffer more from this [than the 3 door]. Worth getting checked!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links