Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Washer Problem

s.illes79

Hi guys,

My front windscreen washer stopped working this weekend:

when I pull the arm:

- it won't spray the windscreen but it activates the wipers

- it won't make any noise, so pump is not even trying.

Other facts:

- Back one is working fine.

- Tank is full

- after some driving it started working, but this happened already in the past.

Any idea?

Cheers

First thing that would spring to mind man is the connection to the washer motor?? Next would probably be making sure that there are no kinks or cuts in your washer line?? If there is no sound coming from the washer motor chance the fuses and unfortunetly as a lasty resort buy a new motor. :blink:

Best of luck with it, let us know how u get on.

Regards Colin

First thing that would spring to mind man is the connection to the washer motor?? Next would probably be making sure that there are no kinks or cuts in your washer line?? If there is no sound coming from the washer motor chance the fuses and unfortunetly as a lasty resort buy a new motor. :blink:

Best of luck with it, let us know how u get on.

Regards Colin

Thanks C.Burke for the reply.

I will check the wires once I get home ... dumb question: Where is the pump/motor located?

however I think the motor should be fine since it always works for the back windows ( unless there are two separate for back/front? not likely, can someone confirm? )

The motor is on the washer bottle itself i think, ill double check that when i go home this evenin. i know thats where it is on the avensis anyway..

change the pump.

change the pump.

same pump always works for back window washer

the assembly is in the driver side behind the wheel arch liner

its a ******* to get to

2009_0823_075554_JPG.jpg

Mine stopped working, it got clogged up it was a c**t to get too, so i just removed the whole washer bottle to clean it all out.

Before changing the motor out, check you have a supply to it when the stalk is operated, may save money on a wasted pump.

Always confirm problem before throwing money at it.

Process of elimination.....

This happened on me dads old Coupe and we just whacked it with a hammer to unblock it. Works perfectly now.:)

Probs different for this though....

+1

Also check that the valve on the washer bottle for the front jets. You will probably end up having to take the front bumper off.

its a ******* to get to

2009_0823_075554_JPG.jpg

no wonder I couldn't find the !Removed! thing, it's well hidden :)

( unless there are two separate for back/front? not likely, can someone confirm? )

2009_0823_075554_JPG.jpg

if you look in the pic there are indeed 2 pumps, id just get a new one sounds like its blocked / burnt out (knackered :thumbsup: ) they sell these at halfrauds as well as the main stealers

• 4 months later...

its a ******* to get to

2009_0823_075554_JPG.jpg

wow what a stupid design, the whole front has to disassembled.

Isn't it easier to access it from under the car ?

Just wanted to say to CharlyJo...Halfrauds and Main Stealers...nice 1 matey...havent laughed like this in a while...sad i know...but your so right on that one!!!

Im no expert mate on your problem but i would say check to see you jets arent blocked...then check the tubing to them...and then try to get to the pump from underneath by removing the bottom covers on the drivers side...really hope you find/fix your problem because you'll need your washers with winter coming up! Good luck and let us know how you get on. Infact i'll check my Haynes manual tonight incase it mentions the problem under troubleshooting!

Sammy

If it is the pfl then the bottle can be removed without taking the bumper off if the vehicle is on a ramp, i had to do remove my washer bottle and clean it out because the previous owner dropped the washer bottle cap into the bottle (dont ask me how they managed it tho lol).

It was not the easiest thing to access but do-able, i am not sure on the f/l tho.

• 8 years later...

Hi s.illes79, did you ever get to the root of the problem? I'm having exactly the same issue, back window water jets work, front doesn't. I was told by my mechanic that it was a motor issue. Pulled the old one out, put the new one in and no water, tested the old one on a car Battery and hey, it worked. I'm thinking it's maybe the switch on the lever inside the car. I've spent so much on my 2008 Verso I'm at a loss and thinking why bother throwing more money after a dead cause.

Had similar problem, couple years ago

New pump from Halfords iirc

You can do ot by unclippiig bottom of bumper on drivers side and a lot of struggling

But first make sure, when you operate the washers there are no leaks from any pipes , keep bonnet up, also, the front washers jets on bonnet can block up bad making you think its the pump

If so get new ones from Toyota not eBay

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just a test, swap the hoses over on the bottom of the pumps, best with an empty bottle or its a soapy armpit, and check the front washers again. If they work its the motor or switch, the red and black connectors at the top of the motors are interchangeable so swap to check the switch is working. Just checked mine as i have the same problem, turns out the motor is a goner. Warm to the touch so its definitely fubar. About 15 of the finest English pounds on eBay. Going to see if i can pop the motor out and see if its fixable but to see how it died if not. Hope it helps👍