Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Drums Rusted And Front Discs.

C.Burke

Hi all, Iv a 1999 1.6sr corolla e11. Just on the topic of rear drums which are rustedon the outside, I want to paint them so should i replace these first and the paint or just paint over the old ones after a good cleandown?(note: rust is quite bad) With the front discs i have vented discs, the interior of the vents looks quite bad with rust also and they need to be skimmed so should i save money and just buy new ones (if so any suggestions on makes) or has anyone any advice on either of these subjects.

Kind regards, Colin

if its real bad the rust will come through the paint quite quickly even after painting with something like hammerite. I'd get new ones then paint them. this will mean they wont go rusty to start with.

Joel

Lovely stuff, As for what kinda good brand with reasonable price i should go for?? :wacko:

Regards Colin

Hi all, Iv a 1999 1.6sr corolla e11. Just on the topic of rear drums which are rustedon the outside, I want to paint them so should i replace these first and the paint or just paint over the old ones after a good cleandown?(note: rust is quite bad) With the front discs i have vented discs, the interior of the vents looks quite bad with rust also and they need to be skimmed so should i save money and just buy new ones (if so any suggestions on makes) or has anyone any advice on either of these subjects.

Kind regards, Colin

You could get a drill with a wire wheel on the drums, then a rust inhibitor before painting with hammerite.

As for the discs if there is plenty of life in them why buy new if you know someone who works in a machine shop get them to skim them should only cost a few quid or free if you know them well enough, I'm lucky my old man is a toolmaker so anything like that gets taken to work.

Why spend a lot on new if you don't need to.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links