Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Master Cylinder: Cause Of Clutch Judder?

rickjhns

Hi have an ongoing judder problem when releasing the clutch. This is especially bad when starting on a hill, or when releasing the clutch in second gear at low speeds.

I had a new clutch fitted last year at a main dealer. I have been advised that under the warrenty if they find the judder is caused by clutch misuse I will be liable for all labour and parts costs.

I have noticed that if I spray the piston underneath the clutch pedal with grease spray the clutch judder is greatly reduced. This makes me think the problem is caused by the clutch master cylinder.

Any advise of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi have an ongoing judder problem when releasing the clutch. This is especially bad when starting on a hill, or when releasing the clutch in second gear at low speeds.

I had a new clutch fitted last year at a main dealer. I have been advised that under the warrenty if they find the judder is caused by clutch misuse I will be liable for all labour and parts costs.

I have noticed that if I spray the piston underneath the clutch pedal with grease spray the clutch judder is greatly reduced. This makes me think the problem is caused by the clutch master cylinder.

Any advise of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If the master cylinder is 'sticky', then maybe it is causing the clutch to snatch due to a jerky release. Judder is usually down to the clutch itself having grip issues between the centre plate & cover plate (or flywheel), much the same as brake judder between disc and pads.

I would be surprised if it was the master cylinder at fault but there's always a first time. Are you certain it's judder and not just 'snatchy'?

What is the difference between snatch and judder?

The best way I can describe the issue is, a sort of thud, thud, thud, jerky noise. This is most likle to occurr when pulling away on a steep hills, or slipping the clutch when using second gear at a slightly too low speed.

There is a heavy squeky noise from the clutch pedal. I have noticed that the pedal itself almost sticks for a moment if pressed hard to the floor. Grease spray on the shaft under the pedal definatly make the snatch/judder better, but this is only a partial and temporary fix.

Thanks

Rickjhns

What is the difference between snatch and judder?

The best way I can describe the issue is, a sort of thud, thud, thud, jerky noise. This is most likle to occurr when pulling away on a steep hills, or slipping the clutch when using second gear at a slightly too low speed.

There is a heavy squeky noise from the clutch pedal. I have noticed that the pedal itself almost sticks for a moment if pressed hard to the floor. Grease spray on the shaft under the pedal definatly make the snatch/judder better, but this is only a partial and temporary fix.

Thanks

Rickjhns

Snatch is when the clutch suddenly grabs and the car lurches forwards and may be followed by the kangaroo impression. Judder usually starts when the clutch is raised to the bite point and is just starting to drive away. Without any further movement of the pedal the car kangaroos ( the clutch grips,slips,grips etc.etc. although the pedal does not alter).The more you try to slip the clutch for set off, the worse it is.

The judder stops when the pedal is fully released and the quicker you can get the clutch fully released, the less judder occurs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links