Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello From Me And My New Prius

jackw_77

Greetings everyone!

Tomorrow will be my first week since "taking possession of the motorised vehicle" - my brand new 2010 Prius T-Spirit in Orion Blue.

I used to drive a 2004 Avensis 2.0 D4D before this car and then some ten years ago or so that monster of a car: Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo (the one with retractable headlights). So the Prius is my third Toyota. Last bank holiday I walked into the showroom at Hills Bishop's Stortford with the intent of buying the new Avensis. So why Prius? Well, I am still not quite sure to be honest. Several things, I suppose: being captain Kirk commanding the USS Enterprise, driving one of the most technologically advanced cars, quietness of the ride, sleek shape, and all the toys... I am very much into gadgets so... and did I mention economy, zero tax, congestion charge exemption? As so many on this forum pointed out: people who don't know anything about Prius tend to have strongest and silliest of opinions about the car. And I was one of them. Let me just put it this way: this is very, very nice car. It grew on me enormously.

My impressions so far:

- very smooth and pleasant ride, occasional potholes you can't avoid can somehow spoil that on those 17" wheels though,

- modern and good-looking interior that I find incredibly attractive,

- absolutely love those "stealth mode" moments when on electric power,

- suprising change of behaviour and character when in PWR mode,

- very cool voice commands feature.

Things I don't like:

- really annoying satnav,

- no electrically powered side mirrors,

- rear visibility could have been better.

So far done 350 miles and there's half a tank left and the indicated mpg is at 63.5 (no commuting just pleasure).

Sorry for a long and emotional post but you've got a really excited 43-year old boy with a new toy here.

Best regards,

jack

welcome, very nice post, agree about the mirrors.

I too went into the show room with the intention of buying an Avensis - one of the cool new shape ones, but ended up with a Prius. 7 months and 19k hard miles later and she's still fine.

I just love the quiet smooth ride :thumbsup:

I have had my new Prius for a week now as well, and after 700 miles on all road conditions, I am getting 59mpg as a true reading, indicated 61mpg on the display. Hopefully will get even better as it loosens up!!

Must admit I am like a boy with a new toy as well, and that is after driving a Gen 2 for the last 2 years.

My only little gripes are no heated seats, or electric folding mirrors, but I find the Sat Nav really good, as I did in the last car, so not sure what others find annoying?

Also, can anyone explain the hill start assist, or is that not on european cars?

I have had my new Prius for a week now as well, and after 700 miles on all road conditions, I am getting 59mpg as a true reading, indicated 61mpg on the display. Hopefully will get even better as it loosens up!!

Must admit I am like a boy with a new toy as well, and that is after driving a Gen 2 for the last 2 years.

My only little gripes are no heated seats, or electric folding mirrors, but I find the Sat Nav really good, as I did in the last car, so not sure what others find annoying?

Also, can anyone explain the hill start assist, or is that not on european cars?

Hill Start Assist is on all the latest Prius.

When stopped (doesn't have to be on a hill) in drive with your foot on the brake, press the brake pedal harder until there is a beep and the traction control light flashes. Hill Start Assist has activated. Now when you let your foot off the brake the car will hold for about 2 seconds before releasing the brakes. This gives you plenty of time to get your foot on the accelerator.

I find it quite handy and use it a few times a week.

Hill start assist is great when you get use to it. If you stop on a hill apply the brakes firmly and there will be a 'bleep' you can now remove the pressure from the brake pedal and the hill start assist keeps the brakes applied for a couple of seconds, it 'bleeps' again before releasing, and you can re-apply it by pressing hard on the brake pedal again. Its ideal for junctions on a hill where normal releasing of the brake pedal pressure may allow the car to roll back slightly before you've managed to take the weight of the car on the accelerator. Hope this helps.

By the way I've had my car for a couple of months now, ten fill ups, assorted driving and am delighted with the fuel figures high 50's. Likewise the satnav no problems, but I'm of the old brigade who on going on a long journey usually consult the map beforehand so the satnav is purely an aid. Agree about the folding door mirrors though.

Steve

Does the Prius not have electric mirrors? Damn, I could have sworn I adjusted them from within the car when I had a test drive....or maybe I didn't...Unbelievable...Ah well, ordered now...

Don't panic, the mirrors are electrically adjustable, you just cannot fold them in electrically

Does the Prius not have electric mirrors? Damn, I could have sworn I adjusted them from within the car when I had a test drive....or maybe I didn't...Unbelievable...Ah well, ordered now...

Yes it does have electrically adjustable and heated mirrors on the T-Spirit, I think the OP meant it doesn't have Power-fold mirrors.

I would have liked the Power-fold mirrors, but more so Auto headlights and Auto dimming rear view mirror, they are some of things I miss from the Mk4 Ford Mondeo I had previously. The power-fold mirrors are not so much of an issue for me now as the Prius is about a foot narrower than the Mondeo was. What I don't miss is the fuel consumption. The Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Auto was doing around 30 mpg on my short commute to work, the Prius is doing 57 mpg so far and getting better every day (only had it 2 weeks).

Phew, cheers! Auto headlights come with the LED pack, well so it says I'll see it when ours arrives in September...

Powerfold mirrors would have been nice, but as we now have two full size 4x4's I think we can manage with such a 'narrow' little car in comparison...And like Kithmo we won't miss the 18mpg of my wives car, especially not with a 300mile per week school run alone ;-)

...I would have liked the Power-fold mirrors, but more so Auto headlights and Auto dimming rear view mirror, they are some of things I miss from the Mk4 Ford Mondeo I had previously...

In the USA where they do have the autodim mirrors they aren't that brilliant because the sensor sits in the shadow of the rear spoiler. In fact, the rear spoiler does a great job of blocking out headlights at night :thumbsup:

Phew, cheers! Auto headlights come with the LED pack, well so it says I'll see it when ours arrives in September...

I've got the auto-headlights and they work very well, sensitivity is about right, and I don't find myself overriding them intentionally. Be aware that with auto and in daylight you have no DRL, not even pretend.

...I would have liked the Power-fold mirrors, but more so Auto headlights and Auto dimming rear view mirror, they are some of things I miss from the Mk4 Ford Mondeo I had previously...

In the USA where they do have the autodim mirrors they aren't that brilliant because the sensor sits in the shadow of the rear spoiler. In fact, the rear spoiler does a great job of blocking out headlights at night :thumbsup:

Yep, have the autodim mirror too... and it's pointless. As you say it sits in the shadow of the rear spoiler. Unfortunately now and again some of the mirror will get headlights on it, and you get dazzled, but as the sensor is the last thing to come out of the shadows, it won't dim, and you can't override it. Occasionally annoying.