Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brake Pads Replacement

pit sparky

Does anyone had any difficulty in replacing the rear brake pads on an Auris 2008 T-sprint 20.diesel

Thanks

Does anyone had any difficulty in replacing the rear brake pads on an Auris 2008 T-sprint 20.diesel

Thanks

I did this job about four months ago and had no end of problems.

The biggest was that although the nearside piston screwed back ok, the offside would not screw back in any way. Following advice from my local Toyota dealer, they suggested !Removed! the piston out a little in order to free up the thread. It didn't work with the end result being having to buy a complete new brake caliper assembly (£160) even though the car was still under warranty. On inspection, it was found the piston had been cross threaded and would therefore only unscrew. Toyota's answer was that if they had done the pad replacement and found the piston fault it would have been replaced free of charge. However the cost of fitting the pads was £120, so you take your pick. Cheaper brake pad replacement cost with possibly the cost of a new caliper, or more expensive pad replacement.

• 1 year later...

Hi all

Just found this thread as I am changing the rear pads and discs on my T180. I've seen there that the brake caliper pistons are on a thread and are wound back in and not pressed. Is there a special tool that is required for this, or can it be done without one?

I guess it depends on how free they are perhaps....?

Thanks in advance..

Suedehead

Hi all

Just found this thread as I am changing the rear pads and discs on my T180. I've seen there that the brake caliper pistons are on a thread and are wound back in and not pressed. Is there a special tool that is required for this, or can it be done without one?

Thanks in advance..

Suedehead

You'll probably need something like this. http://shop.etoolscity.com/Professional-DiscBrake-Caliper-WindBack-Tool-Kit/M/B000IB40L6.htm?traffic_src=GB&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=GB&id=uk

Hi all

Thanks in advance..

Suedehead

Hiya my mate. Just go onto Amazon and look for... Halfords want £32 for the same thing

Laser 1314 Brake Caliper Piston Re-wind Tool Set by Laser (Automotive - 26 Apr 2010) Buy new: £30.34 £14.99 <BR class=unfloat>4 new from £14.99 1 used from £17.16 <BR class=unfloat>Get it by Saturday, Jun 4 if you order in the next 4 hours and choose express delivery.stars-4-5._V192196957_.gif (21)Eligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery.

A real bargin! This is what I used. I think I bought some Motul V300 oil off you! If so I'm very thankful to you

Right hand rear Piston is left hand thread so srews in oppisite way than left hand piston. If you try to retract the right hand piston in the normal way it just locks up and will not move

Ha Ha, I wish I had read your post Big Auris before I started. Stumped me for a few minutes until I realised it was a LH thread. Made worse by the universal winding tool I had that could not cater for a LH thread, every few turns it was dropping off and had to retighten.

Anyway, all done now, thanks for your input everyone.

Suedehead

• 2 months later...

Just done this myself MTEC DISCS and BRAKES all round and as above that universal winding tool is an absolute godsend, bid of a fiddle doing the right hand rear one as its left threaded but all the same thought it was and easy job

• 2 months later...

If anyone is interested .... just done the rear pads, used a Draper tool to re-wind the pistons, one side went in no prob at all, t'other side was a bit of a faff and required a bit of dexterity and a lever, but went back without too much of a struggle. The tool I used is called a Draper Cube, has no screw thread, just lugs to engage in piston using a 3/8 drive, can be had from Toolline for £4.25 .... cheap and cheerful, not as good as screw type, but got the job done.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links