Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rubbing Noise Coming From Front Wheels A Slow Speeds

tubaman

Over the past 6 months, my T180 has developed a rubbing sound coming from the front wheels when the car is moving and turning left or right.

The sound is not loud but has increased over the past 6 months even to the extent that I think it can be heard when driving the car in a straight line.

I`m wondering if it`s a joint at the front, drive shafts, wheel bearings or something like that.

Any ideas ?

Hi,

First off, "sounds" are very difficult to describe and diagnose over the Internet...

My first thought would be brake pads sticking.

In any case, I would jack the car up, take the wheels off and listen/inspect where the sound comes from.

Could be something simple, but I wouldn't wait 6 months to let it become expensive. :unsure:

I think I may have phrased it quite badly - the rubbibg noise is when you are turning corners (left or right) & seems to be coming from the front wheel area.

I`ve ruled out the under arch protectors and I`ve recently had both front discs and pads replaced.

Still not sure whats causing the sound

I am no expert, but has the rubbing noise changed at all with fitting of new discs and brake? Noise can occur when pads/discs are worn and you take a turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past 6 months, my T180 has developed a rubbing sound coming from the front wheels when the car is moving and turning left or right.

The sound is not loud but has increased over the past 6 months even to the extent that I think it can be heard when driving the car in a straight line.

I`m wondering if it`s a joint at the front, drive shafts, wheel bearings or something like that.

Any ideas ?

I have got a similar noise, only hear it at low speed when on full/nearly full lock, and only when Im turning left!!! Comes from drivers side (front offside) wheel only. And never in reverse. Ive ruled out brakes by changing pads from half worn ones to new greenstuff ones, as the old manufacturers one were squeeking when braking.

Asked a few mechanically minded people, (inc. one ex kwik fit type mechanic), and CV joint and bearings are mentioned.

However, will have a better idea after friday, as im taking it into benfield toyota Leeds for them to have a look.

If it is CV joint or bearings thet need changing, does anyone know how big a job and what it might cost????

Could be slight play in the front wheel bearings, when the wheel is turned it moves the disk and rubs on to the pads

Hi

I had this noise - turning right at slow speed or going round a roundabout would cause a 'groan' from the front nearside wheel. When I had new tyres fitted the noise disappeared. I had to go back because of wheel wobble at high speed - on investigation they found the alloy wheel had a small buckle on the inner rim so I presume this may have been the cause - as opposed to wheel bearings. You may like to get the wheel checked?

Ian

rooleeds,

Really interested to know what it turned out to be.

I think the wheel bearings theory sounds the most likely (too much play) as I could understand the disk rubbing on the pads when on lock.

rooleeds,

Really interested to know what it turned out to be.

I think the wheel bearings theory sounds the most likely (too much play) as I could understand the disk rubbing on the pads when on lock.

Hi,

Well, I took it in this morning, got the mechanic to take it for a drive in the car park, I sat in, & it did it straight away.

They stripped the front wheels off and said that the front disks were worn down and a lip had formed on the inner side, this was then rubbing on the brakes, not sure if they meant pads or calipers, and making a grinding noise.

It had these disks on 25k ago according to service history. I thought they shouldve lasted longer maybe??? Anyway, brand new disks & pads fitted - Toyota genuine parts - Toyota genuine prices too!!! Least it's gone now. I made sure it had on the trip home.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi

I have a similar issue with my 56 reg avensis estate D4DT3s. It has started making a rubbing noise from the off side front wheel when turning left. Going on holiday in it tomorrow so will need to keep an eye on it while I'm away. Will report back when I discover the solution.

Had this on various Toyotas. First check that the dust shield behind the disc isn't rubbing against the disc. Simple enough to bend it away from the disc if it is.

• 6 years later...

Anyone know what could be causing the noises coming from a car that sounds like a rubber band when turning the wheels. HELP