Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rough Idle/shuddering After Start-Up

jonny__g

as some may know, my car has not been getting regular use recently due to an injury to myself, but i have manged to get it out for a few runs now and again.

last night, the OH started up the car. everything fine for a few secs, idling around 800pm or so ( below 1k anyway). Then the engine started to chug a bit (car in neutral and stationary), almost as if it was threatening to stall or choke, and the revs went up to about 1k. turned car off, tried to restart it and it was noticably more difficult to restart and did fire up after holding the key round for about 4-5sec ( compare with around 2 normally). gave it a good rev and it settled down to normal idle again. drove off and everything seemed fine. got where we needed to go then drove home about an hour later; no starting problems.

any suggestions? i should prob mention that the previous owner told me that whilst away on hols for 4wks, the EGR vlave had "stuck" and had to be cleaned etc by mr T. could that have anything to do with it or is it just a 'lack of use' issue?

thanks again guys for any help

j

No, there is nothing wrong with the car, its quite normal from a cold start to rev at 1k rpm or even sometimes 1.2k rpm all the engine is doing is trying to get to its optimal temperature before the engine settles back down at 0.8k rpm.

i know that change in idle is ok but the engine sounded completely wrong as well. it wasnt just revving at a higher rate, it actually sounded like it was going to cut out. that's the bit that was really concerning me

Does it sound like its trying to hard? and quite a bit louder than usual?

If so mine does it sometimes. Mr T advised me its nothing to worry about.

might have a look at the MAF and see if it needs a clean. is that the sensor on the air feed coming out of the filter housing?

could be your glow plugs either lad,

is she smoking or anything when this is happening ?

the exact same is happening to me at the min would you believe, started 2 days ago, start up, fine for about 5 seconds then starts to shutter, but mine is smoking for 5 seconds then all perfect.

i brought it to a mechanic/friend who thinks i bust a gasket when cleaning the egr valve and when cold the busted gasket is taking in air and throwing the timing off, but when warming the gasket expands and blocks this hole and all good again.

musy order a set of gaskets :yes:

doesn't seem to be smoking or anything. i've never managed to get the EGR valve off mine as its too awkard for me to get at. i'll keep an eye and see if it happens again. cant wait to get this leg brace off and start driving again! :censor: