Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Drained By Unidentified Object - What Is It?

El-d

Hi all,

I bought my RAV4 about 6 months back and had issues with the Battery. AA determined it was dead and so I replaced it under warranty. 6 months down the kine, the Battery was dying again. AA had another look and figured there was a 0.3amp drain. they couldn't see where it came from and suggested taking it to a garage. I took it to the local Toyaota garage and they found a device attahced to the Battery that was causing the problem.

However they had no idea what it is. Disconnecting it has stopped the drain but I wanted to find out what this thing is.

see pic.

Any ideas?

Was hoping someone might recognise the logo and know what they make.

BTW the cable sems to curl around and disappear somewhere around the engine.

Cheers

Tim

post-83080-127436702343_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim,

Looks suspiciously like some kind of ECU addition / performance chip doodah added then disconnected and forgotten about.

I have been known to be wrong in the past.....shut it, regular subscriberisers t'forum

Big Kev :thumbsup:

220th time lucky I reckon Kevsteroony :thumbsup:

220th time lucky I reckon Kevsteroony :thumbsup:

Disconnected and reconnected mine only yesterday to go in for its £125.00 oil change (10k first service).

The similarity between my Lindop Kingo chip ECU and this photo'd one inspirised the guess.

The logo is in the shape of a bull, so let's see who's first to identify manumakerer. Bar Code search unsuccessful.

Big Kev :toast:

Cheers guys.

I also tried the barcode search and came up with nothing :(

..and then tried a logo search. Amazing how many Bull logos there are out there ;)

Question is then, if it is some sort of ECU device, how much benefit do they give? Is it worth reconnecting and buying a charger to keep the Battery fully charged? and surely they shouldn't use power when not in use...is there a problem with this particular unit?

Tim

Tim

If it is a fuel chip ECU you should see something connected to the fuel injectors or the switch on the end of the fuel rail. If not it could be an old immobiliser as I would not expect the car to run with the fuel chip simply disconnected. Is there some sort of socket or light neaer the steering column to accept a transponer key?

Tim

If it is a fuel chip ECU you should see something connected to the fuel injectors or the switch on the end of the fuel rail. If not it could be an old immobiliser as I would not expect the car to run with the fuel chip simply disconnected. Is there some sort of socket or light neaer the steering column to accept a transponer key?

There are 2 things I don't know what they are. (you may be able to tell at this point that I'm not very good with cars ;) )

Both fit the bill from your description.

anyway, I've taken a pic.

Thanks again.

Tim

post-83080-127471547403_thumb.jpg

Do I get a prize for the answer?

Yes it is a Kingo chip kit, remove it and your engine power will go back to standard

It is one of the old designs, no not you Kev...........The chip kit :lol:

The pink plug and the part number on the loom gave it away

They are covered by a 2 year warranty so if you can find a receipt, we might be able to sort it out for you

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yes it is a Kingo chip kit, remove it and your engine power will go back to standard

It is one of the old designs, no not you Kev...........The chip kit :lol:

The pink plug and the part number on the loom gave it away

They are covered by a 2 year warranty so if you can find a receipt, we might be able to sort it out for you

We ALL should have known....PINK plug.....colour Pink....must be a link to ye King of Parts if it's PINK.

Big Kev B)

Tim

There are 2 things I don't know what they are. (you may be able to tell at this point that I'm not very good with cars ;) )

Both fit the bill from your description.

anyway, I've taken a pic.

Thanks again.

Tim

The red one is the immobiliser light which is standard with the car and should flash when the ignition is off. The green one has been added as a warning light - does it have a tow bar? If so it is probably a repeater for the indicators. If not, some other accessory. Now Kingo has said that the component is a chip you should find it is disconnected at the engine too.

We ALL should have known....PINK plug.....colour Pink....must be a link to ye King of Parts if it's PINK.

Big Kev B)

Matches my eyes Kev :lol:

They do say it takes a REAL MAN to wear pink this side of the border

Thanks for the confirmation. I tried looking up Kingo kit but can't find any info. Do they have a website I can contact them through?

Surely the kit shouldn't drain the Battery constantly and should only work when the engine is engaged?

Tim

Just click on the "PM this member" icon

<<<over there<<<

You get straight through to me :lol:

Just click on the "PM this member" icon

<<<over there<<<

You get straight through to me :lol:

Love it, Big J....you're ma kinda computer boffin......" <<<< over there <<<<......quality directionments.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Directamundo me big K.............:lol:

Lets see if I can direct somebody to the "Buy it now" button