Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Change Transmission Oil.

anchorman

Thanks. So 75w/90 GL5 for the gearbox and 80w/90 GL5 for transfer and rear diff then.

Any recommended brands or types of oil?

What do they mean with the hypoid spec? Do the both need to be hypoid or just the diff and transfer?

Hypoid refers to the shape of the gears found in a final drive. Cutting the gears in this ways allows a much higher contact between them and they run silent where earlier straight cut gears used to howl. The contact faces slide off each other under load and normal oil would just get squeezed out. Hypoid oil has the ability to resist these forces so extend the life of the gears. You have a pair of these gears in the gearbox and one in the rear diff. The transfer box has a pair of hypoid cut gears but not a crown wheel as shown in the picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_bevel_gear

Cheers Anchorman and for the info on Hypoid Gears - I plan to get these either from Opie or locally.....

Diff/Transfer: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-724-castrol-axle-epx-80w-90-formerly-epx-80w-90-gear-oil.aspx

Gearbox: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-744-castrol-universal-75w-90-semi-synthetic-gear-oil-formerly-castrol-syntrax-universal.aspx

They seem to meet the required spec - Any issues with these Castrol oils I should know about?

I'm sure my service manual says that the oils should be done every 60,000 miles? As I don't think they have not been done before and it has done just over 75K now it will be interesting to see the colour of the oil that drains out. It is serviced every year and I alternate between a level one and a level 3 service. I know that includes changing the engine oil but not sure if the gearbox will have been done as part of a service? I know that the transfer box and Rear diff won't have been done.

Lee

Those oils are perfect Lee.

Transmission oil should be changed every 2 years or 20k (every second service). It sounds like it's well overdue!!!

• 5 months later...

Hi

Im just about to do my 2002 rav4 as I don't reckon its ever been done. Looking at the specs on the service sheets it says use SAE 80W90 below -18 degrees C and SAE90 above -18 degrees C.

shouldnt we be using SAE90 in the south of England?

and is SAE90 the same as EP90 hypoid transmission oil , the auto factors were trying to sell me that instead?

i.e http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/car-tranmission-oils/manual-transmission-fluids/?522776132&0&cc5_868

You can use 80W90 but it should be capable of working with Hypoid gears.

• Thanks 1

Thanks

Do you know if this stuff would be suitable

i.e http://www.eurocarpa...76132&0&cc5_868

and is the likes of triple qx any good - im having trouble finding any top brands in the specified oils, all the local auto factors seem to stock only the cheapest stuff

• 1 year later...

Hi Anchorman,

Thanks for excellent 'How to'..

..however, just purchased 4.2 XT3 3 door manual 74500 miles 2004 and a little confused with service intervals for Gearbox,Transfer Box & Rear Diff.

You suggest 'Transmission oil should be changed every 2 years or 20k (every second service).' but according to my Service & Warranty Schedule 'Manual Gearbox & Front Differential oil' should be Inspected every 40000 miles.

It seems quite clear according to the Schedule, that Transfer and Rear Differential oil (RAV4 4WD) should be replaced every 20000 miles or 2 years whichever comes first.

I do get confused with RAV4 terminology i.e transmission/gearbox/transfer box/front diff but fairly clear where the rear diff is!

Hoping you can put my mind at rest. Thanks

Peter

if its attached to either end of the propshaft its a transfer box and diff box.

change the oils as often as you like but dont leave over reccommended times.

as someone else said...oil is cheap----gearboxes are not !

• 1 year later...

Well, two out of three. Following the excellent tutorial, I changed the oil in the diff and the gearbox, but I couldn't shift the plugs on the transfer box. Penetrating oil, blowtorch, brute force: no luck. I began to fear that I might round off the fill plug (always start on the fill plug!) so decided to desist. I'm going to have to devolve that one to the professionals.

One thing that caught me out was that I was expecting the gearbox to drain vertically, but in fact it spewed out the oil horizontally, mostly missing my waiting receptacle. Then, as I fumbled trying to put the drain plug back in, I dropped it into the container of waste oil. I had to use a magnet on a string to fish it out.

I and a lot of others,I suspect, know exactly what you mean there Steve :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

0.9 litres, API GL5

SAE 90 (above -18degC)

SAE 80W or 80W90 (below -18degC)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Would anyone tell me rav4 gear box oil capacity, not the transfer box or rear diff. The link of pdf files were not opening, please someone let me know.

Assuming you have a 4WD manual gearbox - 3.4 litres API GL-4 or GL-5 SAE 75W90

• 2 months later...

Thank you for posting this anchorman :smile:

This is my next job, is it the same oil I use on a rav petrol 1998cc engine 2004.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links