Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Purchasing A Corolla

drives

Hi, just joined the forum and was hoping for a few pointers about buying a 02/03 reg corolla.

I've got about 4k to spend and I'm after a reliable hatchback with good mpg as I currently do around 14-15k a year. I was looking at either the 1.6 or 1.8 t sport which look like they might fit the bill. Insurance wise there's not too much difference so my main concern is going to be fuel consumption. I've had a good search on here for mpg threads for both and there seems to be a lot of different opinions regarding both, with quite a few being dissapointed with 1.6 mpg due to revving quite highly at motorway speeds, is that right? My commute is around 70% motorway so this would be a bit of a worry. In my experience bigger engines tend to be almost more efficient at cruising speeds so would this be the case with the 1.8? I could live with 35mpg average plus....

Reliability wise I'm guessing these cars are pretty good? From what I have read up on there seem to be some issues with oil consumption on both engines. Is this just a case of living with it and keeping on top of checking it??

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sticking around 70-80 you may see 35ish MPG, Though I hardly ever manage that in mine. (I have a T Sport if it isn't clear, haha)

Around town MPG can be fairly poor aswell. My Oil consumption hasn't been much of a problem to be fair, I think it mainly upsets the 1ZZ Engines which was in the MR2's and Celica 140's.

Nor have I ever had any problems with the car apart from my own doings. Toyota say my Water Pump currently needs replacing but I can see no signs of that being true, though I have had the car around 4 years now so can't complain if the only thing to go wrong is a £50 Water Pump.

If you're looking for the MPG I'd say go for the 1.6, If you're looking for good MPG if you drive sensibly, go for the T Sport, however the T Sport will provide more thrills when the urge takes over. 8250RPM Rev limit ftw! If you've yet to experience 'Lift' I'd suggest test driving a T Sport and see what the other members are talking about. Lift is the main reason as to why most members MPG's aren't great. haha

yeah t sports glug quite alot of petrol at motorway speeds . if you go just under 70 mph its not so bad .the t sport aint a very good motorway car to be honest in terms of fuel consumption .but if your looking for a car thats fun its great . it will certainly make your commute alot of more fun .

yeah t sports glug quite alot of petrol at motorway speeds . if you go just under 70 mph its not so bad .the t sport aint a very good motorway car to be honest in terms of fuel consumption .but if your looking for a car thats fun its great . it will certainly make your commute alot of more fun .

ok cheers guys I'm having a look at the diesel corollas now (just the 2 litres) which would probably be a bit more suitable...

There are a few members on here with the 2.0 diesel SR corollas on here, they have the looks of the t sport, minus the front bumper. Only problem is that they cost quite a bit and your almost in Auris 2.0 territory.

You do at least 3.3 - 3.5k rpm in the t sport at motorway speeds and thats in 6th, a lot of people have pointed out that it could do with a larger cruising gear.

blink.gif

I get around 40mpg on the motorways @ 70mph....

Current avg mpg is 33mpg which is mainly city driving...

The T Sport isn't as bad on fuel as some people state... what you get out of it depends on how well you can control the Lift addiction laugh.gif

thumbsup.gif