Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heat Shield

baz1631

hello everybody!can anyone tell me the name of the guard/heat shield that fits between the fuel tanks and goes over the drive shaft

& exhaust pipe?. is it needed for an mot? or could you discard it altogether?

If it goes between the exhaust and tank I would leave it in... not a good idea as a mate of mine found out. Heat + Tank of highly flammable substance = BOOM + Large repair bill

I doubt that it would be an MOT requirement however.

thanks, but had to remove it due to rust and no holes left to bolt back on,do you think it would over heat after only 3 miles of travelling? i would like to get to a garage! or buy a new one if i could only find out what its called.

I see you have an oil burner,so the question is would the diesel get hot enough to ignite?

I have seen a match tossed into a container of derv and the match was extinguished!

Ahh, the foolish things you do when you are young.

P.S. This is in no way intended to cast doubt on the post of the honourable KPARRIS-JONES

......and speak to Kingo who will organise a new one.

sorry anchorman,cant find "kingo" on members list, can u help? thanx for the reply aswell!

sorry anchorman,cant find "kingo" on members list, can u help? thanx for the reply aswell!

Here you go:

LINK :thumbsup:

Here you go:

LINK :thumbsup:

thanx anchorman, been onto the site and sent a message,but probably wont get a reply till monday (24th).thanx for all youve done . will lwt u nknow if i get the part! :thumbsup:

Can't take the credit for that Baz, our good friend Dave found it for you!!!

ok! thank dave for me! Im just happy at actualy finding the partafter all the searching on net. :yahoo: probably get it in a week or so after all the other wee jobs to do are done! cheers :thumbsup:

ok! thank dave for me! Im just happy at actualy finding the partafter all the searching on net. :yahoo: probably get it in a week or so after all the other wee jobs to do are done! cheers :thumbsup:

You're welcome Baz :thumbsup:

you'll actually have more problems with the 5 doors than the diesel catching fire.

you'll actually have more problems with the 5 doors than the diesel catching fire.

what's the problem with the 5 doors? blowing off in a gale? ha ha ha :P cheers guys . another wee problem solved :yahoo:

what's the problem with the 5 doors? blowing off in a gale? ha ha ha :P cheers guys . another wee problem solved :yahoo:

think of the replacement cost of all those hinges! :eek:

hi again guys, can anyone tell me when re-fitting heat shield, do you have to remove the rear prop-shaft or can you just push an' sove the thing into place? :eek:

Never fitted one but I would try pushing before stripping unless it was obviously a waste of time or going to cause damage to the part.

thanx "A-Man" will try that first,(wasn't really looking forward to a dismantiling job anyway!)

hi again guys, can anyone tell me when re-fitting heat shield, do you have to remove the rear prop-shaft or can you just push an' sove the thing into place? :eek:

I have a similar problem. The heat shield or exhaust insulator located above the mid section of the exhaust is loose and rattling around a fair bit which is quite annoying. There appear to be 4 nuts holding it in place but unfortunately, 3 of these nuts have completely corroded leaving only 1 in tact. I have a price from parts-king £43 for a new insulator but I really want to know how important it is to the replace this part? The nuts appear to be corroded in place and as I don't have ramps im finding it difficult to access. Picture below - any thoughts?

Cheers

Blue

PS- Does that exhaust look a bit rusty :blink:

heatshield.jpg

Car manufacturers don't fit even a washer to a vehicle if it isn't necessary. The shields may have wires or pipes above and up inside the car there are electronic modules under the seats and electronic modules don't usually take well to heat. The fuel also needs to be kept cool and if you look up under the floor you will see an oblong box with fins on it which is actually a fuel cooler so stray heat from the exhaust isn't going to help.

Your biggest problem with that shield is the fixings which either need a lot of coaxing to remove and renew or renewing altogether. If you can get it off and sort out the fixings you can get some repair washers (big washers with small holes) and put them either side of the shield to re-use it. It might be fiddly without ramps but TBh buying a set of good quality ramps will allow you to do your own oil changes etc and will quickly pay for themselves. Because of problems with surface rust on the red RAV (and it is nothing more) I bought a gallon of waxoyl and an applicator for this and the blue one now has an eery ice like coating underneath. The corrosion isn't really harmful but more cosmetic and doesn't look nice. It is worse with low mileage vehicles that stand about and go out in the winter and get a nice coat of salt or that flippin' magnesium phosphate the Scottish authories seem to favour.

If you are mechanically apt and fancy a fiddle with those fixings I would invest in some ramps, sort out that shield and waxoyl for a fraction of what it would cost to send it in.

Don't lose faith with that motor, it won't take long to get it to a cracking piece of kit

Thanks for the advice Anch. I was actually looking at purchasing a set of ramps for £30-40 it might be a wise investment as theres just no way to practically tackle the underbody without them. I going to try and remove the nuts and will nip over to the hardware shop across from me to seek out those washers. That waxoil stuff sounds interesting. I have seen it being used by other car detailers but never tried it out myself. Is it still worth an application under the car despite the car showing signs of rust?

Blue

Edit - purchased Dynax S50 - Extreme Duty Anti-Corrosion Wax. This comes with a small lance for getting to tricky areas, takes around 3 hours to dry. Apologies to Op for hijacking this thread ;)

If you can get it off and sort out the fixings you can get some repair washers (big washers with small holes) and put them either side of the shield to re-use it.

I know I have a dreadful mind but the idea of a big washer with a small hole made me think wrong thoughts - (the washerwoman character deceived by Toad in Wind in The Willows......What DID you think I meant?). If a hardware store hasn't heard of repair washers, try asking them for penny washers - same sort of thing - if you ever get anywhere near a yacht or narrowboat chandlers they might well have them in stainless steel too.

Mike D

If you can get it off and sort out the fixings you can get some repair washers (big washers with small holes) and put them either side of the shield to re-use it.

I know I have a dreadful mind but the idea of a big washer with a small hole made me think wrong thoughts - (the washerwoman character deceived by Toad in Wind in The Willows......What DID you think I meant?). If a hardware store hasn't heard of repair washers, try asking them for penny washers - same sort of thing - if you ever get anywhere near a yacht or narrowboat chandlers they might well have them in stainless steel too.

Mike D

I hit the corroded nut with some WD40 but they seem pretty well corroded in place, not sure if they are going to come off? Once I get prpoerly under the car I might be able to work them loose, if I can I will try and find some of these washers, my dad may even have some.

....and I also picked up a set of ramps from Autosave at lunchtime for £25. I think the ramps are a good investment as I will need to get under to clean the car etc before applying the BH protection.

Dare I say it I also noticed that the front lower plastic guard or sump under body protector is loose on one side and dhanging a little low. Another thing to add to the list :crybaby: I think this may have been caused over the last winter months as snow was very very deep at times here. I'll get all htese bits no bobs sorted (hopefully) over the weekend

Treating underneath will make it look better but also stop any further spread so a good move. That front guard is only held on with plastic studs and is more likely to be a legacy of the last person to remove it - know what I'm saying!!!

Check if all the studs are still there. The one right at the back corner under the driver seat and the one next to it towards the middle are grey and slightly bigger. Just get some replacements from kingo and pop them in.

Treating underneath will make it look better but also stop any further spread so a good move. That front guard is only held on with plastic studs and is more likely to be a legacy of the last person to remove it - know what I'm saying!!!

Check if all the studs are still there. The one right at the back corner under the driver seat and the one next to it towards the middle are grey and slightly bigger. Just get some replacements from kingo and pop them in.

Got the heathsield secured :) I lucklicy managed to find two repair washers in the shed so 3 of 4 have been refitted and that annoying rattling has stopped :yahoo: I will have to try and find some larger diamter ones though as they are only just big enough! The ramps from Autosave (£25) were a blessing...

Still got to have a good look at the front under body guard when I get a moment.

Thanks for the help

• 5 years later...

RAV 4 Heat 1999 2L petrol, 3 door. The heat shield that is on the front pipe section under the engine (S shaped) has succumbed to metal fatigue at both ends, does anyone know the part No. and where to obtain apart from the (very expensive) Toyota dealers ?