Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Irratic Idiling

toylexus

Hello all

A 96 1.6 carina e, sometimes it idles ok and sometimes it wont, anyone any ideas or can point me in the right direction.

First guess, dirty / sticking / jammed idle control valve.

It's mounted to the bottom of the throttle body, with a couple of small water hoses & a vacuum hose going into it.

Take the throttle body off the plenum disconnecting the inlet pipe, throttle cable, wiring plugs & hoses mentioned above, then undo the 4 very tight screws holding the idle control valve to the throttle body.

You'll then be able to see inside it & clean out whatever is jamming it.

First guess, dirty / sticking / jammed idle control valve.

It's mounted to the bottom of the throttle body, with a couple of small water hoses & a vacuum hose going into it.

Take the throttle body off the plenum disconnecting the inlet pipe, throttle cable, wiring plugs & hoses mentioned above, then undo the 4 very tight screws holding the idle control valve to the throttle body.

You'll then be able to see inside it & clean out whatever is jamming it.

Many Thanks, I'll get a look at it in the next few days and report back

• 4 months later...

we have the same problem, i the forum seemed to suggest injectors but i have just seen in two other forums it could be a 02 sensor.

• 1 month later...

I have had this problem on first start in morning and threatening to stall. Toyota looked at it and said the disributor cap and rotor arm were 'pitted' and replaced them . It is a bit better now but I did also put STP in a full tank of fuel and so as yet cant say which has improved the car??

Howie

• 10 months later...