Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Iphone ?

Bizarra

Personally, I couldn't care less :shutit: All I want is a basic phone which will work after being dropped, kicked & falls into the toilet [ previously posted]. If it takes/makes calls, texts & takes pics & Videos, then I'm satisfied. This is for those who aspire to greater heights :rolleyes:

Business > Technology

New 'secret iPhone 4G prototype' discovered in Vietnam

Monday May 17 2010

A second 4G iPhone next-generation prototype has reportedly been discovered, this time surfacing in Vietnam and apparently without permission from Apple.

The secret gadget, identified by technology experts as being similar to a version found recently in a Silicon Valley bar, was given to a mobile phone accessory dealer in Ho Chi Minh City.

It remains unclear how the device, which has a front facing camera and has the distinctive Apple markings, arrived in Vietnam or if it is actually an Apple product.

Some claimed it may be a fake Chinese model.

If confirmed, it would mark a second serious breach in Apple's legendary wall of secrecy in as many months.

In March a technology news blog, Gizmodo, published details of an “invaluable” 4G prototype after it bought it from a blogger who found it in the American bar.

It created a furuore after details emerged last week that Steve Jobs, the Apple co-founder, personally tried to stop its publication.

Lawyers acting for the 55 year-old multi-billionaire claimed publication of the new generation phone’s secret features would be "immensely damaging" to the technology giant.

The website, which is owned by Gawker Media, was handed to the website by a 21 year-old blogger, Brian Hogan, who sold it for $5,000 (€4,060).

A Silicon Valley police task force is investigating the website after the company, roughly valued at £242bn (€283bn), claimed the prototype had been stolen.

The latest pictures and video of an iPhone 4G were published online by the Vietnamese Web site Taoviet last week after they were posted by the dealer, Tran Manh Hiep.

The phone in the photos, are almost identical to the one which was lost in March and published by Gizmodo, the New York-based website.

Mr Hiep said the prototype 4th generation iPhone was not his but was shown to him by a customer.

He then filmed it and posted the video on a forum, where he was a moderator.

U.S. blogs then reposted video of an unidentified person holding the phone as well as several images of it being taken apart.

The new device has also been turned on, revealing an image of an explosion and the sign "Inferno" on the screen.

According to the MacRumors website, the iPhone pictures include the "N90" moniker, understood to be the internal code name for the next iPhone.

It also reported that a Vietnamese businessman, who has not been named but it thought to be a mobile phone dealer, bought the iPhone 4G in the U.S. while he was purchasing an iPad.

Engadget, a gadget blog, said that if a translation of comments posted on its website were true in its comments section is true, the man paid US $4,000 (€3,247) for the device. A video has also been posted on YouTube.

Some Vietnamese messages posted on Mr Hiep's forum questioned the authenticity of the phone, suggesting that it may be a fake Chinese model.

Many counterfeit phones make their way into Vietnam.

But Mr Hiep, who declined to name the phone's owner, claimed it was a “real Apple product” because it worked with other products from the technology giant.

"It's a real iPhone because when I plugged it into a Mac, it recognised it as an Apple product," he said.

"I plugged it into iTunes and it recognised it as an Apple device.”

He said the iPhone he saw was very similar to the one published Gizmodo but it seemed "newer", with small changes such as the absence of two screws on the underside.

"It looks almost exactly the same as the one that appeared on Gizmodo's website. But it looks newer and has no screws."

According to Gizmodo, features of the new phone, expected to be unveiled later this year, include a front-facing video camera for video chat, a flash and an improved regular camera with a larger lens.

It also has a flat back instead of curved back, is thinner than the 3GS, is three grams heavier and has a Battery that is 16 percent larger.

Apple jealously guards its unreleased products, particularly the iPhone. Last year Apple made $13bn (€11bn) from its iPhone, which was almost a third of total company sales.

It is due to release the 4G iPhone in the summer.

A spokesman for Apple was unavailable for comment.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raistlin

• Bizarra

• Parts-King

• KPARRIS-JONES

More Apple hype to keep the toys in the press....

To lose one is careless, to lose two is suspect.

Well it's time for a phone upgrade for me shortly, the iPhone is a seriously sexy phone, but I'm not sure about all the Apple querkyness. You just cant get any decent deals with them either, without having to pay daft monthly fees

Decisions decisions

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well it's time for a phone upgrade for me shortly, the iPhone is a seriously sexy phone, but I'm not sure about all the Apple querkyness. You just cant get any decent deals with them either, without having to pay daft monthly fees

Decisions decisions

Kingo thumbsup.gif

Agreed! thumbsup.gif

Hence why i will be staying with Nokia!

I can upgrade 3 months early with O2 (so next month for me!) but the new Nokia N8 isn't out until September...

I've always been a Nokia man, but was looking at some HTC models. A chap I know who has an HTC says they are brilliant phones but very complicated???

My contract is due in September, but I can upgrade early, I might hang on and see what comes from Apple. The thread started by Bizarra was probably leaked by Apple anyway, just to create some free publicity :rolleyes::lol:

I don't like too much change.... so i'll stick with the brand that i've been using for the last 8 years! :lol:

The iPhone does look good... but i negotiated a stonking deal on my last upgrade so i only pay £15/month line rental... doubt i'd get the iPhone at anywhere near that price!!

I don't like too much change.... so i'll stick with the brand that i've been using for the last 8 years! :lol:

The iphone does look good... but i negotiated a stonking deal on my last upgrade so i only pay £15/month line rental... doubt i'd get the iphone at anywhere near that price!!

Yes me too, I phoned just before Christmas about my change of address, and while I was on the phone the conversation went something like this:

Orange "Thanks for letting us know your change of address Kingo, would you like me to reduce your line rental by £5 per month?"

Kingo: "Whats the catch?"

Orange: "No catch Mr Kingo, you have been with Orange for many years and I would like to give you a Christmas present of £5 off your monthly bill until your contract ends"

Kingo: "......errrr......there is no catch"?

Orange: No catch, just £5 off every month

Kingo "Too right, where do I sign?"

Orange: "Nothing to sign, I have applied that to your account from today"

Kingo "I'm thinking of moving again next month lol"

Orange: "Move as often as you like you only get one discount lol"

and that brought my package down to £15 PM. What sort of minutes/texts do you get for your £15 Gaz?

The futures so bright I gotta wear shades...cool.gif

On top of your head, as seems to be the fashion ?

Story against myself & may be a warning to other gullible Gentlemen :unsure:

A Ladyfriend was complaining of headaches in the recent/present brilliant sunshine, & attributed it to the fact that her good Sunglasses were broken.

So....... chivalrous muggins buys her the pair of her choice [ her choice = not cheap :( ]

Have I ever seen them on her nose in the correct position ? :rolleyes: Not bloody likely :wacko: Perched on top of her head, as per trend. Fashion uber alles :censor:

Story against myself & may be a warning to other gullible Gentlemen unsure.gif

A Ladyfriend was complaining of headaches in the recent/present brilliant sunshine, & attributed it to the fact that her good Sunglasses were broken.

So....... chivalrous muggins buys her the pair of her choice [ her choice = not cheap sad.gif ]

Have I ever seen them on her nose in the correct position ? rolleyes.gif Not bloody likely wacko.gif Perched on top of her head, as per trend. Fashion uber alles censored.gif

Sugar daddy is a slang term for a rich man who offers money or gifts to a less rich younger person, usually female, in return for companionship or sexual favours...

So....... chivalrous muggins buys her the pair of her choice [ her choice = not cheap sad.gif ]

Have I ever seen them on her nose in the correct position ? rolleyes.gif Not bloody likely wacko.gif Perched on top of her head, as per trend. Fashion uber alles censored.gif

Sugar daddy is a slang term for a rich man who offers money or gifts to a less rich younger person, usually female, in return for companionship or sexual favours...

If that "dig" is aimed at me, it doesn't apply :crybaby: Never was a rich man & certainly am not now :rolleyes:

If that "dig" is aimed at me, it doesn't apply crybaby.gif Never was a rich man & certainly am not now rolleyes.gif

What me have a dig...

I have shares in JCB :D

If that "dig" is aimed at me, it doesn't apply crybaby.gif Never was a rich man & certainly am not now rolleyes.gif

What me have a dig...

I have shares in JCB :D

That figures :yes::laughing:

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the original Post [from onr of our papers, today

By Matt Warman

Friday June 04 2010

Apple's iPhone is a triumph of marketing over functionality, and the new model won't be any different.

When Apple first launched the iPhone in 2007, it was leaps and bounds ahead of its nearest rivals. But now the handset is a triumph of marketing over functionality. And it’s so ubiquitous it’s not even cool any more.

Here are ten reasons why, whatever is announced at the forthcoming launch, there’s no point buying the iPhone 4G:

1) It’s expensive: Buy the top-of-the-range Blackberry or Android handset and you will still pay a lot less than the extortionate prices Apple charge. If the iPhone weren’t made by Apple, networks would have had to start giving it away on £30 a month tariffs years ago.

2) It’s anti-technology: When the iPhone launched it was cutting edge – now as other manufacturers announce, for instance, that you can use their phones as shareable wifi hot spots, Apple says no. Not because of some spurious “user experience” argument, but because of economics. When will they learn that it’s customers – supply and demand – that should dictate feature availability?

3) No Flash: The iPhone, the phone that promised to put the web into everybody’s pockets, can’t even show you most of it, because it can’t handle Flash graphics. Google Android can, in the latest version (OS 2.2), and it’s going to be available free on a lot of budget tariffs.

4) No multitasking: Tried instant messaging on an iPhone? Oh yes, you have to open the app to see if you’ve got a message. Genius. If Apple announces multitasking next it will be an improvement – but there’ll be no apology for the way it’s treated customers in the past, and no guarantee it won’t behave similarly shoddily in the future.

5) Its Battery life is terrible: This isn’t a problem unique to Apple, but look at phones by companies such as HTC – multitasking, better cameras, better screens, all draining their batteries far more – and yet the iPhone, with its undemanding technology, still only offers equal performance.

6) Developing apps for it is costing you money: The special version of the BBC iPlayer, of Natwest Phone Banking, of Eon’s meter reader – developing all of these came out of money that could have been channelled away from a self-important minority and towards more generally useful ideas.

7) It comes with offensively bad headphones: Sit next to somebody using the original iPhone or iPod headphones and you can hear everything they can. It’s another example of Apple charging premium prices, but delivering a dressed up, budget product.

8) It’s not very well designed: Use the iPhone as a phone and it’s not got great reception, nor is it particularly comfortable to use for long periods. It’s a computer that happens to have a phone bolted on – jack of two trades, but master of neither.

9) It charges for satnav: In an age when Nokia and Google Android provide completely free mapping and satnav facilities, the cheapest way you can turn your overpriced iPhone into a satnav is with a £19.99 app. Bargain.

10) Those iPod docks are holding back better technologies: As every hotel increasingly thinks it should provide iPod docks, the momentum behind this technology is only growing. But if it wasn’t for the iPod and iPhone’s ubiquity, there’d be more wifi radios, more new technologies and a range of different options, competing and driving innovation.

I'm looking forward to it and I'd like to upgrade after this contract ends. :yes:

Can't fault the iPhones other than the shit camera.

I'm looking forward to it and I'd like to upgrade after this contract ends. yes.gif

Can't fault the iPhones other than the shit camera.

Obviously you've never used one for any length of time, the only thing it does well is drop gold onto the bottom line of Apple. cursing.gif

Not really no. I have loved using it, I've found it easy and a really good time filler on journeys and I love the texting setup. What do you think I have been posting on TOC with since my PC knackered in?

They're pretty awesome, I don't see why people hate them so much...

Not really no. I have loved using it, I've found it easy and a really good time filler on journeys and I love the texting setup. What do you think I have been posting on TOC with since my PC knackered in?

Is that why your posts are rubbish... Just kidding biggrin.gif

You may mock, I will be the one with a 4G tongue.gif

And the Glass / Bottle slashing app...

You may mock, I will be the one with a 4G :P

Don't spend your money foolishly :nono:

Wine, women & song are good investments :g::thumbsup:

If you want a decent phone I recommend Nokia. I had an old one which I dropped in the toilet, went through the washing machine and all sorts! Don't get a Samsung, they're rubbish.

If you want a decent phone I recommend Nokia. I had an old one which I dropped in the toilet, went through the washing machine and all sorts! Don't get a Samsung, they're rubbish.

Funny that :wacko: I managed to drop 2 Nokias down toilets & they worked after a session in the Hot press.

There must be an attraction in toilets which calls them to go for a swim :lol:

Why do you feel the need to wash your Nokia by various means ?

Do you make dirty phone calls on it or do you set it on vibrate stick it up you arse and call yourself for fun when your lonely biggrin.gif

Why do you feel the need to wash your Nokia by various means ?

Do you make dirty phone calls on it or do you set it on vibrate stick it up you arse and call yourself for fun when your lonely biggrin.gif

I like the 2nd option :drool: I never thought of that :eek: Thanks, Raist :lol: I'm logging off now for a while :P