Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Use, Engine Light And Warranty

Tay

Hello all,

I have a few general questions that I hope someone 'in the know' can help me with..

I bought a 2003 Avensis in March 09 with 42500 miles on the clock. The car was purchased from a Toyota dealer with full Toyota service history, the 40K service was done before I picked it up, on about 42.5K miles.

I had it serviced (at Toyota again) on 52000, a little less than 10K on from the milage that it was bought on.

I have a Toyota warranty that runs to March 2011.

My questions are:

A) Should I have had it serviced earlier, at 50K miles? In my mind if it was bought on 42.5 and had just been serviced, albeit late, then having it serviced again less than 10K miles later should be okay for the warranty.

B) I have now down 14K miles in the car and its used about 9 litres of oil in this time, would you consider this to be unreasonable?

C) Twice in the last three months, the engine light has come on with a P0420 code. Would this most likely be becuase of the oil use?

D) Can Toyota charge me for diagnostic work, even though the car has a full Toyota warranty?

Overall, I like the car, but having read various threads on here i'm concerned.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Chris,

Cant really help with regards to the questions BUT what you have to remember is how many people post questions on the forum when their cars are fine! Allot of cars not just Toyota have problems and when you look at individual forums about cars ie this one or another make you will see people have questions and its normally something has gone wrong! Would you have found this forum if you didnt have a problem?

I'm no Toyota fan, nor do I work for them, I have just bought my first Toyota car and its 2007, done 23K and apart from the odd hickup its been great for the 3k i've done in the last 2 months.

Just remember when you read the forums that they are a small percentage of people asking when they have problems, you wont get people writing on forums just saying they have done 100k of trouble free miles! Some the posts worry me but any car you buy may have problems. Just have to try limit them problems.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Understood, I know no one goes to the doctors unless they are ill, and these forums arent much different in that respect..

Its really the oil consumption that bothers me, I have to say that since finding out about it (not long after buying the car), it has played on my mind. Unfortunatly my car is the right age, right mileage and right engine for it to crop up.

May I ask what sort of usage you have with your 07?

Does it effect 'most' 1.8's, a few, all of them?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I hope your car isn't one thats affected. May I suggest if when your warranty expires a company called warranty wise, it's rather costly BUT it SHOULD (you'd have to check) cover any problems as long a you keep the car serviced! May be better than spending several K to sort things if anything should happen!

My 07 is a 2.2 D-4D, not sure what it means BUT I get about 40MPG out of it. In terms of oil I really dont know, I have only had it 2 months and covered 3k, it doesn't seem to be drinking oil but it is only early!

I wouldn't know about what and how many cars it affects but i'm sure there are others on here that will give you their stories!

Hi Chris,

I hope your car isn't one thats affected. May I suggest if when your warranty expires a company called warranty wise, it's rather costly BUT it SHOULD (you'd have to check) cover any problems as long a you keep the car serviced! May be better than spending several K to sort things if anything should happen!

My 07 is a 2.2 D-4D, not sure what it means BUT I get about 40MPG out of it. In terms of oil I really dont know, I have only had it 2 months and covered 3k, it doesn't seem to be drinking oil but it is only early!

I wouldn't know about what and how many cars it affects but i'm sure there are others on here that will give you their stories!

I am going through this stage. I bought my 2005 1.8 about 2 months ago with 45,000mile up, I keep checking the oil level and so far I have not had to put a drop of oil in it,