Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sudden Failure Of Front Door Speakers

St Thicket

I have a standard E12 (preface), with tweeters in the door. This morning, to a great annoyment, I noticed that there was no audio from the drivers door. Since I have an aftermarket head unit and a 5 channel amplifier, I thought it might be the wires connected to the amp that might have loosened. Everything was fine. I checked the signal cables from the head unit; All fine. I even connected the wires for that door into a amp channel I knew is OK, but no sound.

The door Speakers and the wires are all factory standard. I've only added the wires from the speaker plug inside the dash to the amp.

The question now is how this could be possible. I do not believe that both the tweeter and the speaker in the door has failed simultaneously. It must be the wire. Could it then be possible that it can have broken inside the rubber tubing between the door and frame? The drivers door is the most frequently used one, so I think it's not unlikely.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

cheers!

My drivers side door speaker is noticeably quieter than my passenger side... getting it looked at this weekend thumbsup.gif

My Passenger one goes off when I hit bumps etc. haha.

Its the speaker wire connection. Happened to mine twice, and i found i could make the speaker turn on and off by simply moving the wire! Stopped working again sunday when i was cleaning car, so i simply undid the door card again and cleaned out the connections and retaped it up - Hey presto it works again at full volume!

My tweeter went aswell, but that was actually boned. Had to get new one off kingo.

My driver side speaker is dead too (stock speakers/cables etc). But I drive with my window open rather than use a/c so not having a working driver's speaker doesn't bother me a great deal as my hearing on that side is normally drowned out by the wind ;)

OK then. I'm not alone with this problem...

I'll have a closer look tonight.

Spent 4 hours yesterday to figure out what was wrong. Checked all wires with my multimeter, and found out that there was a breakage in the speaker wire from behind the stereo to the door. I then dismantled the door to find that the Speakers were all OK. Removed the kick panel and checked the cable joint for the door cables. Full conductance from the joint to the Speakers...

Hmmm... thought about it for a while and did a recap. Didn't I remove my old and unused Sat Nav DVD drive from underneath the seat just before the weekend? Looked at the plug for a while, and found some wires with the same colours as the speaker wire in the door. And there were two wires of the same colour. When I shorted the wires of the same color, sound apeared!

Then I pounded my head in the dashboard for a while... :blowup:

Obviously, the sat nav drive was directly connected to the driver door Speakers. Who would have thought that!

Spent 4 hours yesterday to figure out what was wrong. Checked all wires with my multimeter, and found out that there was a breakage in the speaker wire from behind the stereo to the door. I then dismantled the door to find that the speakers were all OK. Removed the kick panel and checked the cable joint for the door cables. Full conductance from the joint to the speakers...

Hmmm... thought about it for a while and did a recap. Didn't I remove my old and unused Sat Nav DVD drive from underneath the seat just before the weekend? Looked at the plug for a while, and found some wires with the same colours as the speaker wire in the door. And there were two wires of the same colour. When I shorted the wires of the same color, sound apeared!

Then I pounded my head in the dashboard for a while... :blowup:

Obviously, the sat nav drive was directly connected to the driver door speakers. Who would have thought that!

Seems right as the sat nav is standard for the car.