Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malfunction Indicator Lamp

Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

I was driving on the motorway earlier and my malfunction indicator lamp came on and I'm not sure why? I had a look in my service book and it is very vague as to what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated!

To find out why the malfunction indicator lamp when on, you have to use a code reader scanner. You attach this scanner to the 16 pin socket on the driver's side under the dash. A code is shown on the scanner which indicates which sensor is malfunctioning. You can easily buy one of these code reader scanners. They are not expensive. I bought one from Memoscan, U581 model and it works great on my Yaris. This scanner also includes a cd to describe the code fault. Otherwise you have to take it to the Toyota agent or an equiped garage. But obviously it would cost you. If you need further help let me know.

I had a look on the memoscan website and U581 wasn't there nor were the prices displayed?

To find out why the malfunction indicator lamp when on, you have to use a code reader scanner. You attach this scanner to the 16 pin socket on the driver's side under the dash. A code is shown on the scanner which indicates which sensor is malfunctioning. You can easily buy one of these code reader scanners. They are not expensive. I bought one from Memoscan, U581 model and it works great on my Yaris. This scanner also includes a cd to describe the code fault. Otherwise you have to take it to the Toyota agent or an equiped garage. But obviously it would cost you. If you need further help let me know.

hi. i have a problem with my malfunction lamp aswell. i have had it code read and it comes up with vvt malfunction bank 1 , am just wondering if that is the same code aas yours

I've got no idea mate, from what I understand the problem could be anything. I don't notice anything different engine or performance wise. Everything sounds and runs normally. Maybe mine just needs a service?

Search around like eBay, Amazon, etc. You should find it. Memoscan has a newer model. I think it's the U585 with some extra functions. But you can buy other scanners like Actron which are quite popular. Since your car is European make sure it is EOBD complient not just OBD2(E stands for European). Contact the suppliers and give them your car details. Sure they will help. I point to note: Recent models come with a USB cable for updating firmware. Mine does not have this. It has a serial port which are not fitted in today's computers. So check that it has a USB cable.

Regards

I was driving on the motorway earlier and my malfunction indicator lamp came on and I'm not sure why? I had a look in my service book and it is very vague as to what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated!

Have you tried re-setting the ecu?? It could just be that a sensor was temporarily blocked by some dirt.

Altho mine's a Corolla i had all my warning lights come on when on a motorway drive, all cleared when i stopped and restarted the car tho

thumbsup.gif

How an I reset the ecu other than to disconnect the Battery?

I would do that but I'm worried that my warning light came on for a reason and if I ignore it it could be something serious...

If you disconnect the Battery to reset the ECU and the fault remains the lamp will surely light up again. So you might as well do it. Should the engine lamp light up again be sure to check it out as soon as possible.

I might do that then. What ways are there to reset my ECU?

I might do that then. What ways are there to reset my ECU?

You either use a code reader / scanner which I previously mentioned. It has an erase trouble code function or you can remove one of the Battery terminals. Leave it disconnected for about 10 minutes and refit the terminal.

Are those two the only ways?

Are not two answers enough for you..............How many ways do you want?............It is not Microsoft!! :D

Are those two the only ways?

Are not two answers enough for you..............How many ways do you want?............It is not Microsoft!! :D

Yes there is another alternative....Take it to your Toyota Agent!!

I thought that there was a way where you fiddled with the odomoter buttons?

NO...........Doing that zeros the number of miles you travelled since you last "fiddled" with the odometer buttons :rolleyes:

If you are not confident with carrying out the operations as explained by the previous posters on this thread............THEN TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE TOYOTA DEALER!........They DO have the knowledge!

I thought that was a load of codswallop. Read it in another forums somewhere...

I WOULD TAKE IT TO THE DEALER IN READING BUT AM SCARED THAT THEY MIGHT CHARGE ME AN ARM AND A LEG FOR THE PLEASURE!!!

Thanks for your input guys :)

Take it to any good garage and ask them to plug it into the diagnostics, pay the usual fee and get the fault code off them.

Find out on here off other members who may have had the same fault about how to fix it.

Simple. :rolleyes:

I thought this relatively detailed description (Click on Attachment) of how your ECU performs its numerous monitoring functions would be of some assistance, in regard to your decision whether or not to seek Professional Expertise and equipment, or go down the DIY route.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

h25 ECU.pdf

Thanks a lot for that mate. I'll ask the bloke I usually use to service my car to have a look at it. I'm sure he'll have a diagnostics machine and hopefully it'll save me having to pay Mr. T prices and he can do it at the same time as everything else!

Just before I hit 70k my engine malfunction light came on and it’s been on for about a week or so. As I was driving on the motorway today and have done 70081, bizarrely, my engine malfunction light went off. Not that I’m complaining! I’m very pleased it did but am left wondering why. Is this a glitch or something more serious and will the error code be stored still?

Just before I hit 70k my engine malfunction light came on and it’s been on for about a week or so. As I was driving on the motorway today and have done 70081, bizarrely, my engine malfunction light went off. Not that I’m complaining! I’m very pleased it did but am left wondering why. Is this a glitch or something more serious and will the error code be stored still?

Yes, It Will be Stored in the ECU Memory, awaiting Diagnosis.

All of a sudden the engine malfunction lamp came on again! Argh!

I WOULD TAKE IT TO THE DEALER IN READING BUT AM SCARED THAT THEY MIGHT CHARGE ME AN ARM AND A LEG FOR THE PLEASURE!!!

Sounds like a few women I know! :lol:

Are you refering to the lamp with the picture of an engine?