Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought A Rav4 2.2

Seth1

Ok - just paid the deposit on a 57 Plate 2.2 Diesel...I have been reading what members have been saying about things like Gearbox / clutch etc...and yes you are right - took me a couple of mins to get used to it but after that it was fine...

So many questions...

38K miles - the next service - whats it likely to cost...still got Toyota Warranty for 3 months - I suppose it would be a good idea to get it serviced before that time is up...

I like to do a lot of things myself - are the Haynes manuals any good...e.g. Sevicing the EGR valve etc...

Last question for now - Has anyone "Chipped" (the add on box type) there RAV

Any suggestions on preventative Mainteneance welcome - I do a lot of miles so plan to take this over 100k over the next 3 years..

Many Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club and well done with the purchase of your new RAV.

Most of the things you can do yourself and you will find the info here or we will find it for you. You will find some of it already in the pinned section above and a Service Data Sheet with all the specs.

The next service is the bigger of the two and involves transmission oil change (transfer box and rear diff). In addition, you will be asked to change the brake fluid and you should look at the cabin filter (also pinned) but these would be extra. I have only ever done my own but the basic price was about £240 from memory. You'll have to decide what to do about the warranty but you are not obliged to have it serviced there to uphold the warranty as you will see in the front of your service book.

The sevret to long service is frequent oil changes and good quality diesel (not from a supermarket). Ohter than that it is all straight forward.

Enjoy your RAV!

Ok - just paid the deposit on a 57 Plate 2.2 Diesel...I have been reading what members have been saying about things like Gearbox / clutch etc...and yes you are right - took me a couple of mins to get used to it but after that it was fine...

So many questions...

38K miles - the next service - whats it likely to cost...still got Toyota Warranty for 3 months - I suppose it would be a good idea to get it serviced before that time is up...

I like to do a lot of things myself - are the Haynes manuals any good...e.g. Sevicing the EGR valve etc...

Any suggestions on preventative Mainteneance welcome - I do a lot of miles so plan to take this over 100k over the next 3 years..

Hi Seth + welcome, A few of us have "chipped" 2.2 ravs..If you do a search or contact (parts king) you should gat all the info you need..bit short of time now, but will be glad to answer anything specific this evening :thumbsup: Stew

So many questions...

Hi Seth + welcome, A few of us have "chipped" 2.2 ravs..If you do a search or contact (parts king) you should gat all the info you need..bit short of time now, but will be glad to answer anything specific this evening :thumbsup: Stew

Thanks for the replies - I have looked at the Sticky for "Changing The Gearbox" oil etc...Might do that myself....

Stew - I will defo be investing in some sort of upgrade, I will leave it a few weeks just to get some miles under my belt see how it goes, charcteristics, get some confidence in the vehicle etc...

Any advice welcome on what type of upgrade will be welcome...I don't pick it up until next week...I have traded in my much loved Focus ST 2.5 5cyl Turbo....I bought the wife an 05 Audi TT 3.2 Quatro, seemed mad to have 2 cars that you cannot get much in...

Looking foward to the driving experience with the RAV, the test drive shows that it should be a real mile muncher, felt good at motorway speeds...

The sevret to long service is frequent oil changes and good quality diesel (not from a supermarket). Ohter than that it is all straight forward.

Is diesel and petrol poorer quality from supermarkets compaired to other filling stations ?

• Like 1

Is diesel and petrol poorer quality from supermarkets compaired to other filling stations ?

The general consensus is yes. Though there are minimum standards for fuel sold in the UK, it seems that supermarket fuel prices are kept down by having fewer beneficial addatives etc.

I wondered about the Supermarket 'No No'. I thought it all came from the same refineries, but maybe in a Tesco or Asda tanker.

Trev..

I wondered about the Supermarket 'No No'. I thought it all came from the same refineries, but maybe in a Tesco or Asda tanker.

Trev..

They often load up at the same terminal with "basic" fuel but the additives are put in at the time of dispensing into the tanker.

Thanks for that answer Anchorman. Out here there is 95 and 98 but not too much choice in brands. At the moment the price of 95 is €1.02 a litre which is about UK£ 0.88p. As I am getting 11 Kilometers to the litre it would seem to be running quite well.

Thanks. Trev..

Thanks for that answer Anchorman. Out here there is 95 and 98 but not too much choice in brands. At the moment the price of 95 is €1.02 a litre which is about UK£ 0.88p. As I am getting 11 Kilometers to the litre it would seem to be running quite well.

Thanks. Trev..

The importance of high grade fuel lies more with diesel than petrols and in fact most Toyota petrols are able to run on very low grade petrol as it is all that is available in the emerging countries.

The newer "euro" diesels need higher grade fuel to avoid problems with the emmission systems - namely the EGR valve on both 2.2s and the "5th injector" on the D-CAT engines.