Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Sr180 Owners - Advice Please :-)

letmetalktomark

Dear All,

Been a bit of a lurker on the forum but plucked up the courage to register today!

Some lovely looking motors on here.

Hope you don't mind me asking for your advice/guidance with my first post :blush:

I have had a read through the Auris specific threads looking for information on how realistic the fuel consumption of the SR180 is.

We (myself & Mrs LMTTM) are off to look at/test drive a SR180 at the weekend with a view to buy if we like it and the price is right :lol: The only thing that is troubling me pre test drive are the reports of poor (sub 40MPG) fuel consumption when looked at overall. :(

We typically travel about 15 - 18k a year and the vast majority is longer (100 mile +) journeys but we do use it for shorter stints too (sub 20 miles)

Our current car a **cough** 206 delivers nearly 55mpg consistently when looked at overall.

Do any of you get close to the 46mpg regularly?

All of our help is much appreciated!

Also if you have any hints on things to look for I again would be grateful but don't want to push my luck! :-)

Many thanks in advance,

MArk

Dear All,

Been a bit of a lurker on the forum but plucked up the courage to register today!

Hope you don't mind me asking for your advice/guidance with my first post :blush:

I have had a read through the Auris specific threads looking for information on how realistic the fuel consumption of the SR180 is.

We (myself & Mrs LMTTM) are off to look at/test drive a SR180 at the weekend with a view to buy if we like it and the price is right :lol: The only thing that is troubling me pre test drive are the reports of poor (sub 40MPG) fuel consumption when looked at overall. :(

We typically travel about 15 - 18k a year and the vast majority is longer (100 mile +) journeys but we do use it for shorter stints too (sub 20 miles)

Our current car a **cough** 206 delivers nearly 55mpg consistently when looked at overall.

Also if you have any hints on things to look for I again would be grateful but don't want to push my luck! :-)

Many thanks in advance,

MArk

Hi Mark,

Welcome!

I have never managed 46mpg over one tank before, they had been pure long motorway journeys and the best i have managed is 43mpg. Worst was 33mpg but mostly urban... All calculated brim to brim.

I have kept a detailed log since last September and my running overall average is 38.02mpg as of 2 days ago when i last filled up.

I am a pretty average road user i would say with a good mix of motorway and urban driving, what i would say is dont buy the SR180 for economical reasons alone. Buy it for its availble power/torque, relative reliability, brilliant space, relative refinement and level of trim.

Things to look out for are:

Brakes that should not squeal (there was technically a recall on this, my T180 had this remedial work)

If you can manage it, get them to show you a cold start (left over night) and make sure the car starts well from cold

There should be no persistent smoke from exhaust when engine pressed hard

People here complains of rattles in the cabin, I think this is pretty normal for this car (slight negative reflection of its interior quality).

Good luck in your search and hope they will give you a good deal. :thumbsup:

Cheers T Sport 1978 :-)

I have to say I am approaching this from a relatively frugal perspective.

My Dad has a Leon (1.9) and consistently gets close to 60mpg. I realize this is an apples and pears comparison but hearing that the figure is closer to thirty does worry me....a lot. I do like the sound of the additional power though :thumbsup:

I am hoping to get to the dealer earlier than expected to have a look at the car before it is started - I will watch out for the points you mentioned.

Really want to like it but really want it to be economical (moon on stick syndrome!) as we have a tendency to keep our cars until they die!

Dear All,

Many thanks in advance,

MArk

I too am a newbie. I've had 3 Auris' and loved them all, but I have to say my SR180 knocks spots off any car I've ever had before. O.K. I've only had it 3 weeks but damn it's so easy to drive. I'm getting 45 mpg (mixed driving). I can only speak as I find, and as someone said to me in an earlier post "you won't regret it". Someone, possibly the same person who was very helpful, also pointed out that you get mostly ctiticism on any car forum. Hope it goes well for you, good luck in whatever you decide.

Cheers T Sport 1978 :-)

I have to say I am approaching this from a relatively frugal perspective.

My Dad has a Leon (1.9) and consistently gets close to 60mpg. I realize this is an apples and pears comparison but hearing that the figure is closer to thirty does worry me....a lot. I do like the sound of the additional power though :thumbsup:

I am hoping to get to the dealer earlier than expected to have a look at the car before it is started - I will watch out for the points you mentioned.

Really want to like it but really want it to be economical (moon on stick syndrome!) as we have a tendency to keep our cars until they die!

No problem at all.

60mpg is what i can only dream about! Saying what i have, I will admit that i have a relatively heavy right foot, there are guys on here (i.e OldSkoOL) who claims to achieve 50+mpg and almost always above 40mpg. It is safe to say that this 2.2 is sensitive to driving style and conditions, if you are good and have learnt to drive it properly, you should be good for 40+mpg but to expect anything near the VW's you will be disappointed.

As for the power, it is ample but you will need to learn about its' turbo lag, but once on song it is explosive.

Ask your dealer if it is at all possible to not start the car until you arrive, this is the only way to see a proper cold start.

Good luck.

Thank you again. :-)

I appreciate that different driving styles will result in varying combined MPG's but this model Toyota (having read the threads on here & also a number of other online review)seems to create quite a variance in the spectrum of high to low figures.

Hmm.

Will request a cold start :thumbsup:

Good luck with your test drive, the sr180 is a very nice car :thumbsup:

Honestly i get about 43mpg over a tank confirmed brim to brim but i seem to be in the minority. I normally fill up between 450 and 500 miles to the tank.

My journey is the same practically everyday. 14 miles of moderately hilly A-roads with a few roundabouts and 6 miles of town. On the A-roads in steady traffic i.e. 40-60mph i will return 52-55mpg. Confirmed just the other day and a few times in the past. This is 1 way in warm ambient temp's.

Throw my colder morning starts stuck in town traffic from the beginning and my tank average after about 450 miles is normally between 42-44mpg for this journey.

Above 60mph you start to take a hit. Best i got on the m-way was 46mpg. Norm is again about 42-44mpg for me. Around town i couldn't really say because in 3 years I haven't done a full tank just around town but i guess 32 poorest and about 36mpg which was i got once over a few days.

I have written various guides to achieving better MPG on this forum which i have learn't during the various driving training i have done. I have also sadly, conducted a few tests to figure out what RPM range gives the best economy. I also check and keep all my filters in good condition and free from debris. The engine gets a light Shell oil and I also use v-power and i have never, ever put anything less than Shell diesel extra into my car in the 3 years i've owned it. My tyres are always at the correct pressures and occasionally in the colder months i will assist with a purge of the DPF by driving a certain way. Whilst all these things help, what helps the most is being able to read the road ahead and anticipate not just drivers actions but how to control the throttle for the road angle and junctions.

However geeky that may sound, the x180 isn't the most economical. In most other cars i can achieve the combined MPG. I drove a 1.33 Auris recently, admittedly i was short gearing but got 48.6mpg out of it over a week. Very impressive for a petrol.

It's a shame you weren't after a slightly older car as i will be selling my t180 soon.

Thank you for your response OldSkoO1.

I look forward to the test drive tomorrow but keep an open mind as to what I expect :lol:

I will also keep an eye on the MPG.....

Did the engine spec change at all between the T180 & SR180 models :mellow:

No worries, I hope you get on with it. An excellent engine.

No engine changes. Just some equipment changes. T180 has a sunroof and keyless entry and sr180 has a spoiler and rear tints. Some early sr180s have the sunroof and keyless entries too. I liked the tints on a black car so I put them on mine too :)

Driven right and at around 60mph on long journeys you should get around 44mpg easy enough, it seems to hurt the mpg a lot more when doing 70mph. What I will say as an overhaul car it will make the 206 feel gutless and basic so the question you have to ask yourself is it worth the hit on mpg for the power delivery and better car?

Here is a few pictures of our T180 which has a few small mods that I added

P1000409.jpg

P1000407.jpg

P1000408.jpg

AurisBoot.jpg

DSCF0640.jpg

DSCF0629.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links