Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low On Fuel...

stevenson

Those of you with 4.3s - do you not find it annoying that when running low on fuel the general warning light comes on, the low fuel light comes on, and the main display just shows a low fuel warning (and the gauge shows empty).

All the while the display you really need at this point - the instantaneous fuel consumption - is no longer available.

Is there any way to change this behaviour?

s

Those of you with 4.3s - do you not find it annoying that when running low on fuel the general warning light comes on, the low fuel light comes on, and the main display just shows a low fuel warning (and the gauge shows empty).

All the while the display you really need at this point - the instantaneous fuel consumption - is no longer available.

Is there any way to change this behaviour?

s

Yep!!! Fill the tank up again. :thumbsup:

Unless it is something important (like a warning generated by an ECU setting DTCs), you can usually cancel warning messages by pressing the display button for more than 0.8 seconds.

See page 3 of the attached pdf.

This should give you the multi-function display back, but will keep the warning lamps up until you refill.

Fairly certain this has worked for me, on the odd occasion I've let the fuel drop that low.

Any help?

multidisplay.pdf

Well I guess we seldom run the tank that low? However when it is getting low we select 'Range' on the display using the right dash button. I guess I'm well trained having ridden a VMAX motorcycle with a 15 Ltr tank and was always looking for fuel after 80 miles :eek: Your lucky you have a good range in that tank. I'm glad it warns me in so many way's that I may run out rather than it surprise me !

Unless it is something important (like a warning generated by an ECU setting DTCs), you can usually cancel warning messages by pressing the display button for more than 0.8 seconds.

See page 3 of the attached pdf.

This should give you the multi-function display back, but will keep the warning lamps up until you refill.

Fairly certain this has worked for me, on the odd occasion I've let the fuel drop that low.

Any help?

Thanks - will try that next time. It appears that one can cancel the ice warning the same way (at least until the next time the temperature changes to 3C).

s

It appears that one can cancel the ice warning the same way (at least until the next time the temperature changes to 3C).

Yeah, that's true, but my feeling is that for the ice-warning they made a running software change in production.

For some with early 4.3s, if I remember correctly (big if), there were complaints of the ice warning warning appearing everytime the temperature moved from 4C->3C, which could be several time a journey and therefore get annoying.

Personally, I've only ever experienced the instrument pack doing ice-warnings once per journey and it then disappearing after a few seconds, without any intervention on the drivers part.

Spot on, my ice warning comes up sometimes half a dozen times per journey, it drives me crazy !!

Are you saying that there maybe a software upgrade ?

Regards

It appears that one can cancel the ice warning the same way (at least until the next time the temperature changes to 3C).

Yeah, that's true, but my feeling is that for the ice-warning they made a running software change in production.

For some with early 4.3s, if I remember correctly (big if), there were complaints of the ice warning warning appearing everytime the temperature moved from 4C->3C, which could be several time a journey and therefore get annoying.

Personally, I've only ever experienced the instrument pack doing ice-warnings once per journey and it then disappearing after a few seconds, without any intervention on the drivers part.

If you press the cancel switch the warning words in the panel will disappear but if you hold the button until the warning triangle goes off (which is too bright and a nuisance at night) the warnings will not reappear until the ignition has been switched off again - so for the remainder of that journey. If the temp is lower than 3 deg C at start up it will not come on again as it assumes you are aware of the ambient temp.

The post 2009 models are a bit more user friendly as the warning only flashes up for 5 seconds or so and you can remove the warning triangle with your thumb via the steering wheel control. I think this is the running change shcm refers to.

The post 2009 models are a bit more user friendly as the warning only flashes up for 5 seconds or so and you can remove the warning triangle with your thumb via the steering wheel control. I think this is the running change shcm refers to.

No, not quite. My previous 4.3 (Build Dec 2006) had the same behaviour as you describe above, but I don't think yours did (built a bit earlier I think). I expect there was a running software change in production, possibly about 12 months in. It's not unusual for that kind of think to happen. From experience I know they try to keep it to model year updates (or "half year" if they do them), but sometimes they are slipped in where ever practical or if it is a major problem.

Lordy1 - So, yes, I think they did change the s/w, but I don't ever remember seeing a TSB or anything, which probably means you are stuck with the functionality you have. The instrument pack is probably re-flashable, but you'd have to talk to a Mr T Dealer to see if there is anything available. It's not unusual for VMs (sorry, Vehicle Manufacturers) to keep quiet about these things, it's part of continual improvement and the "subject to change without notice" type clauses they use.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links