Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic Converter

Supergirl

Hi guys.

I recently bought a 2007, 1.4 Auris and I found that it was loosing power and then surging in power along with the exhaust blowing as I accelerated whilst moving up in gears.

I left it back with the garage to be checked out and they informed me yesterday that it was indeed the catalytic converter!! (Ouch'!)

Thankfully the garage I purchased the Auris from gave me a 12 month warranty and will fix it for me.

My question is....

Is this a popular problem with the Auris or is it just one of those things?

Is there anything else I should look out for?

Thank you in advance. smile.gif

Just "one of them things" I think.

Can't say I have read of any cat problems anywhere. If it was blowing that suggests a physical issue (hole). Has the exhaust been caught on something I wonder...

Just "one of them things" I think.

Can't say I have read of any cat problems anywhere. If it was blowing that suggests a physical issue (hole). Has the exhaust been caught on something I wonder...

Mmm'h, I had thought the same about the blowing too. Actually, I had thought it might of been a manifold problem but the garage didn't seem to think it was because of a hole/break just a symptom of a failing Catalytic Converter (that and the power failure).

I have been driving the car very carefully since I got it as it has rims and I'm so afraid to damage them, so... no, it's hasn't been caught in anything since I've had it. I'm sure the garage would have seen if it was damaged, if that had of been the cause.

The blowing was brief and only when I was accelerating hard (ish). :)

See what the outcome is after the garage have put a new cat on it.

If the cat is causing power loss that's usually because the cat has actually broken up internally causing a blockage and restricting the escape of the exhaust gas. Usual cause is something like hitting and fouling a speed bump etc.

Blowing is something different... that means there's a leak/hole somewhere. Usually easy to hear from outside the car.

I think you just have to see what the garage say after looking at it.

See what the outcome is after the garage have put a new cat on it.

If the cat is causing power loss that's usually because the cat has actually broken up internally causing a blockage and restricting the escape of the exhaust gas. Usual cause is something like hitting and fouling a speed bump etc.

Blowing is something different... that means there's a leak/hole somewhere. Usually easy to hear from outside the car.

I think you just have to see what the garage say after looking at it.

I'm slightly annoyed now...

The garage just got back to me and said they checked the exhaust system and done an emmissions test and both are fine. The cat does not need replacing afterall.

I've been asked to come and collect the car!!!

The result being that I am collecting a car that still has the same problems leaving as it had going in!!!

.....Slight blowing noise on gear changes

.....Loss of power and then a surge of power every so often :(

Is the garage a main dealer ?

If the fault is easily demonstrated perhaps take one of the mechanics out in it to to show them... if they won't play ball, maybe get a second opinion. See you are in Ireland, don't know what your rights are there as to claiming against the supplying garage if there is a problem they won't acknowledge. Is it still losing power too.

Is the garage a main dealer ?

If the fault is easily demonstrated perhaps take one of the mechanics out in it to to show them... if they won't play ball, maybe get a second opinion. See you are in Ireland, don't know what your rights are there as to claiming against the supplying garage if there is a problem they won't acknowledge. Is it still losing power too.

The garage i am dealing with is not the main dealer but they have honoured a 12mth warranty on the vehicle. They presumed initally that the problem was with the Cat and brought it to the Toyota garage beside them because if it was the Cat it would be covered by Toyota's warranty. Toyota checked the exhaust and plugged it into their computer and returned the vehicle saying it was showing no faults on the car or on the exhaust and that the emmissions were also fine. When i was told to come and collect the car i expressed that i was not happy being returned a vehicle that still had the same problems going in as it was coming out. They said that they would hold on to the car get it checked with ANOTHER Toyota garage and the result still came back the same yesterday. They can hear the blowing too but are confused to why it is there as the exhaust has been also physically checked and is fine. Toyota said that it's how the Auris drives, they had a 2008 (a year younger than mine) and that it drove the same. I did take it for a spin and it did blow slightly but it still is not as loudly as mine!!

They told me that if the car looses power more frequently than it has been to come back because then they may be able to pin point the problem more easilly. Apparenty, according to Toyota, they are sluggish anyway!!!

So.... What to do now. I could just drive it and hope that something transpires before the warranty is up and i could organise an early NCT (Irish car test for cars 4yr's n over) to see if anything shows up there but meanwhile i'm driving a car that blows like i've a muffler on it and it's not looking good for a resale in a few years time, like... who wants a noisy car!!

I think they have been pretty decent, they are baffled and maybe it is an Auris thing, though i feel like that's a line they use on the ladies!!

I'm gonna search sites until i find an answer to this blowing problem. I seen on this site that one guy mentioned it in the "How many warranty calims for Auris" topic on page 3.

Many thanks for all your help so far. thumbsup.gif

Don't know what to suggest. If you tried another (a 1.4 ? just the same) and that had this "blowing" too, then it sounds like a characteristic, awful phrase that... but having said that they (a main dealer) should be able to tell you exactly what the noise is, and why it does it.

We have a 1.4 4 door Corolla in the family (2003) and that's not slugish at all... in fact I'd go so far as to say it "feels" lively compared to my new 1.33 Auris.

Wonder if the 1.4 in your Auris is different and uses "drive by wire" electronic control rather than a good old fashioned throttle cable ;) which might well account for a feeling of slugishness... it's just that it's programmed to be more efficient and not waste fuel, it hasn't got that "urge" when you tap the gas.

Dunno... the noise thing though should be easily sorted... either they all do it, or yours has a problem.

Hope you get some answers

Don't know what to suggest. If you tried another (a 1.4 ? just the same) and that had this "blowing" too, then it sounds like a characteristic, awful phrase that... but having said that they (a main dealer) should be able to tell you exactly what the noise is, and why it does it.

We have a 1.4 4 door Corolla in the family (2003) and that's not slugish at all... in fact I'd go so far as to say it "feels" lively compared to my new 1.33 Auris.

Wonder if the 1.4 in your Auris is different and uses "drive by wire" electronic control rather than a good old fashioned throttle cable wink.gif which might well account for a feeling of slugishness... it's just that it's programmed to be more efficient and not waste fuel, it hasn't got that "urge" when you tap the gas.

Dunno... the noise thing though should be easily sorted... either they all do it, or yours has a problem.

Hope you get some answers

Mmmm' me too!! I found out last night from a Toyota mechanic (off the record & not from the garages the car was in already) that they have had several Auris's in with this complaint and it is the buffers inside the back box that causes the noise.

My goat is up nowcursing.gif so i'm going for a second opinion and i WILL get this fixed!!

Many thanks for listening.

I'll be back with the final result as soon as it happens.

All sounds a bit weird... if it's the "buffers"... or the baffles even lol ;) that are the issue then either they are faulty (loose, damaged whatever) or they are all like that from new. As you say, second opinion, and depending on that it might even be worth contacting Toyota customer care explaining the situation.

Wonder what the dealers have done to the customers who have complained... have they actually managed to fix them.

Well good luck... let us know how it all works out anyway :)

• 1 month later...

All sounds a bit weird... if it's the "buffers"... or the baffles even lol wink.gif that are the issue then either they are faulty (loose, damaged whatever) or they are all like that from new. As you say, second opinion, and depending on that it might even be worth contacting Toyota customer care explaining the situation.

Wonder what the dealers have done to the customers who have complained... have they actually managed to fix them.

Well good luck... let us know how it all works out anyway smile.gif

Hello yahoo.gif

I'm back!! Well, to update... Auris went in for back box replacement and it didn't solve the problemunsure.gif . One of the mechanics came with me for a spin on hilly, bendy roads where it was most audaible and he reckoned it wasn't anything to do with the exaust at all but pipes near the air filter that needed tightening. It's in on Tue to get this done so "fingers crossed". Apparently the Auris is slightly louder in that department than most models and this blowing/vibrating that i'm hearing is usually ignored by the majority of owners, 'oops!! Will be back hopefully to say all is well next week!!

Sounds like you might get a result then... hope they sort it :)

so is it sorted?

You are so impatient :rolleyes:

It is not "Next Week" yet!

• 3 months later...

so is it sorted?

Well the tieing of the pipes worked for a short spin only so I can't still be 100% sure it WAS causing the noise.

The noise is still there on low gear/high rev situations but I've grown to ignore it now.

It was in for it's first NCT (the Irish National Car Test) yesterday and passed so that at least.

It's now certified till 02/13 :yahoo:

Thanks for all your help and advice :thumbsup: