Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T Sport Mpg

magpielaw

Hi guys

I just had my CTS's head gasket change, EGR Valves change cos I had some serious misfiring problems and idling issues due to burnt exhaust valves.

Collected the car today, idling issues seem to have resolved, setting off from 1st gear is now fine and power seems good.

I've been observing my MPG, so far only driven around town and no motorway, it is jumping between 33-34MPG (granny driving)

I would be interested to hear what sort of MPG you guys get, I also noted that when the car is sitting still at idle, the average MPG plummets every 10 seconds! Do you guys get that?

Hi guys

I just had my CTS's head gasket change, EGR Valves change cos I had some serious misfiring problems and idling issues due to burnt exhaust valves.

Collected the car today, idling issues seem to have resolved, setting off from 1st gear is now fine and power seems good.

I've been observing my MPG, so far only driven around town and no motorway, it is jumping between 33-34MPG (granny driving)

I would be interested to hear what sort of MPG you guys get, I also noted that when the car is sitting still at idle, the average MPG plummets every 10 seconds! Do you guys get that?

I get about 27mpg being a grandad but thats around town. 33-34 sounds good. Ofcourse your MPG will plummet if your sat idle, your doing NO MILES and still using fuel, you divvy :P !

I measure by tank level, if I drive like a granny then its 430 miles on a tank (thats to empty).

If I cane it then its around 300.

If your exhaust valves are burned, you've probably drained your O2 sensor of Catalyst and may have to buy a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do this at home u can get bored to death :)

4676602724_7a7a9e1f80.jpg

Route: North London -> Central Reading -> North London ~ 60 miles.

Driving like a granny, not revving more than 3000 RPM, no lift of cource, max speed 65. Engine braking, etc.

T-sport can be very economical but you also have to want it, very very hard.

Wow, thanks guys for the feedback, I also read the link on the previous thread, seems everyone gets different MPG out of it

I have had a tank with granddad driving style and managed 33.4mpg only

I have had a second tank half way now and I've got 36mpg so far, again granny driving

However guys, I have a new issue, as mentioned above I had my head changed, new exhaust valves etc but I feel my idle is gradually getting rough again, pulling away from 1st always seem rough and that I have to stamp it a bit harder, also at times when I stop the car at standstill the rev stutters, I uploaded a video on youtube, please let me know what your thoughts are, this is a box standard exhaust but it doesnt sound right to me:

**Quick clip of my exhaust at idle, this is when the car is warm, no aircon no heater**

I would have said it was something to do with your idle control valve, but as its rough pulling away I wouldnt think it would have been that. Would be nice to have watched your bounching rev needle though rather than listening to the exhaust.

When they did your gasket did they check your coil packs and spark plugs? I assume they replaced the spark plugs, but coil packs are expensive. Obviously a failing coil pack (weak spark) would cause rough acceleration as well as an incorrectly gapped plug or one that is burnt out or covered in oil.

If it is actually a miss fire, with older cars you could disconnect the HT leads one at a time to check for changes in engine rpm - the one that doesnt show any improvement is your problem. You can check coil packs with a voltage meter if you have one (google for check faulty coil pack).

If your sensors were playing up it would probably flag the engine light. I doubt the fuel pump / filter would flag either.

I'm getting around 25.5 mpg at the moment. mixture of town driving and long trips

Is there any speed vs mpg graph for a t-sport?

Looks like the sweet point is around 60mph, but wondering what mpg to except at higher speeds (80-100). I'm going to drive through Germany, and I'm not going to stick to 60-70 for sure :)

Any idea what to except above 90 MPH?

I need to drive almost 1000 miles.

With 70 avg speed it would take 14 h

With 100 avg speed it 10h. that's 4 hours diff. and probably twice as much fuel :)

Last time i was abroad i still averaged 40mpg @ 80mph thumbsup.gif

Dunno about 100mph tho...

Is there any speed vs mpg graph for a t-sport?

Looks like the sweet point is around 60mph, but wondering what mpg to except at higher speeds (80-100). I'm going to drive through Germany, and I'm not going to stick to 60-70 for sure :)

Any idea what to except above 90 MPH?

I need to drive almost 1000 miles.

With 70 avg speed it would take 14 h

With 100 avg speed it 10h. that's 4 hours diff. and probably twice as much fuel :)

Give it a go and let us know probably be lucky to get 170 - 180 miles from a tank at those speeds.

Give it a go and let us know probably be lucky to get 170 - 180 miles from a tank at those speeds.

[/quotph

Last summer I was getting around 22-24 mpg, but I was "trashing" it, hitting lift in 6th, etc :) max speed was 140, avg was above 100MPH.

But car was SUV (not lowered, which helps a lot at higher speeds). This time I will (try to) be more economical, we'll see in August if I manage :)