Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Judder On 08 Rav Diesel

lee-decor

Hi guys need alittle help here, my rav 08 diesel xtr has just been serviced 2 months ago milage was 20,000 now 21.500 & I now have brake judder. Rang mr T up & they are looking into it this coming wednesday I said could it be discs & if so would warranty cover it. The reply was, what is the milage (21.5) warranty guys say upto 18 & you are covered but lets see what it is 1st. Well after reading about 4.3 rav discs being common Im quite reluctant to pay if it is the discs & for brakes for that matter. Brakes front & rear should last longer than 21000 mls shouldn't they? & the same with discs? So lets assume need new brakes or discs what should I do & more to the point what can I do if they want paying for them? any help b4 wednesday would be most helpful thanks.

regards

Lee.

Welcome to the club Lee.

I have sent you a pm on this subject so look in your messages at the top of the page and respond that way please.

Might be of use if Toyota don't oblige: Skim My Discs

Edit: And Honest John has had your same question asked: Honest John -

On March 1, 2006 my wife took delivery of a brand-new Mercedes A150 Classic SE five-door auto. She was thrilled and extremely pleased to be driving a car with a three-pointed star, even if it was one of the cheaper models. The thrill of the purchase has been overshadowed, though, because she has been told the car requires new brake discs and pads all round (at a cost of more than £600 plus VAT). This seems odd after only 25,000 miles. I could live with a pad change, but discs? I find it staggering that a manufacturer of MB's reputation would design a car that requires major maintenance within such a short space of time.

M.G., Horncastle

It is ridiculous. The car has done a high enough mileage to clear surface corrosion from its discs, so this should not have happened. Tell the dealer principal that if the discs and pads have only lasted this mileage and time in normal usage, they cannot have been "of satisfactory quality" when the car was originally supplied, putting the dealer in breach of contract for supplying it in that state. A compromise would be for the dealer to swallow half the cost of replacement, so you pay £300. Failing that, tell him you'll see him in the Small Claims Court.

Might be of use if Toyota don't oblige: Skim My Discs

I must be paranoid.. I notice that all the Toyota dealers in my area of the south coast have a disc skimming machine....

Just been through this with a Mr T extended warranty.. Waste of time... So I dug out my spanners and fitted a set of after-market pads from Ferodo, then went on holiday to Cornwall. That fixed 99% of the judder.

Best of luck with your claim...

Change the front discs and pads to aftermarket ones. no good replacing with oe as they will just do the same. I would reckon, with general average usage, a pair of front discs should easily last 3x (75k miles) more than what you are getting, lee-decor.

Absolutely atrocious tbh :angry:

Thanks for all the reply's guys, will see what MR T comes up with tomorrow just hope they see sense

I had same problem at similar mileage - I was advised by my local dealer that all four discs and pads were required and they wouldn't be covered by warranty. I asked them to call Toyota anyway who asked that discs were measured in a number of places with a micrometer - which cost me £90! (refundable if warranty accepted). From just one of these dimensions Toyota established that warping was down to wear not defect and refused to pay. After declining (helpfull) offers of skiming discs and/or reusing existing pads I paid for new front discs & pads - this solved problem completely.

I learned later that other people in similar position have been successfull with warranty claim. It seems to be down to the dealer - if they can make a case for you then Toyota will pay up. I would suggest ringing around some dealers.

There was no visible wear on my warped discs and I suspect that they had been changed before. I e:mailed 'Honest John' for an opinion(who has written a couple of favourable reviews on T180)he noted that the T180 isn't 'overbraked' and said that he hadn't heard of a brake judder issue with the T180. He said that discs were often warped because people left their foot on the brake pedal whilst discs were hot - he published my e:mail in the Sunday Telegraph.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I am just about to replace my discs and pads, but I was wondering where everyone is getting there replacements from. Anyone fitted any good afermarket ones? If so where from?

Cheers

My local supplier stocks Apec. I have fitted several sets to RAVs and they have been fine.

I learned later that other people in similar position have been successfull with warranty claim. It seems to be down to the dealer - if they can make a case for you then Toyota will pay up. I would suggest ringing around some dealers.

The warranty procedure for warped discs was clarified to all dealers in November 2009, there is a strict time/mileage criteria catagory to fall into, if you are outside those limits then they will not be covered under warranty, no matter what dealer you take it to. Basically, if your car is over 20K miles or 18 months, and the discs are warped, then they are NOT covered by warranty

Kingo :thumbsup:

The warranty procedure for warped discs was clarified to all dealers in November 2009, there is a strict time/mileage criteria catagory to fall into, if you are outside those limits then they will not be covered under warranty, no matter what dealer you take it to. Basically, if your car is over 20K miles or 18 months, and the discs are warped, then they are NOT covered by warranty

Hmmmm..........

My dealer has asked me to return my RAV in three months as they noticed considerable corrosion on the inside of front discs at 30K service. They want to inspect/photograph and approach Toyota. Have to say I'm a bit wary, bearing in mind your information. Don't want to end up having ultimately [if Toyota won't step up] to pay for replacements of either discs or pads if they are going to be identical to first set [i think we have established that it is the pads that seem to cause the most problems through deposition of pad material]

Kingo, are you aware if the parts been uprated/changed/modified in any way?

[i think we have established that it is the pads that seem to cause the most problems through deposition of pad material]

Kingo, are you aware if the parts been uprated/changed/modified in any way?

Davrav, There may be occasions of deposition, but this issue is not limited to RAV. From what I have seen in our own workshops, the majority of problems are caused by disc runout (warped) There are no uprated/modified parts, if they were modified, we would see superceeded part numbers and that is not the case