Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replace St George With An English Oak'

Raistlin

225px-St_George_by_Raphael.jpg

Dragon-slaying martyr St George should be replaced as a symbol of England, university academics have said.

Myth-busting: St George never visited England, academics say

With national identity in sharp focus leading up to the World Cup, experts at the University of Nottingham have come up with a new idea.

They believe the English oak would be a far better symbol.

"St George is a peculiar symbol," says Dr Markus Eichhorn, from the University's school of biology.

"He was Turkish, he never visited this country and he has no particular associations with England."

He added: "What better symbol of England than the oak which has been a key element of the country's culture, geography and economy for thousands of years?"

Dr Eichhorn suggests May 29th as a potential date for a new English national day, replacing St George's Day on April 23rd.

Truly English: Celebrating Oak Apple Day goes back over 400 years

Already known as Oak Apple Day or Royal Oak Day, it marks the day Charles II hid from the rebel forces in an oak tree after the battle of Worcester in 1651.

When the monarchy was restored in 1660 he decreed the date should be celebrated and that trees should be dressed as part of the festivities.

220px-Quercus_robur.jpg

What do you think ?

Plant an Acorn & when it is three hundred years old, then bring up the subject :thumbsup:

If it aint broke, don't fix it {Am I as an inhabitant of the Isle of Saints & Scholars :yahoo: allowed to voice my "thinks"? } :unsure:

Plant an Acorn & when it is three hundred years old, then bring up the subject :thumbsup:

If it aint broke, don't fix it {Am I as an inhabitant of the Isle of Saints & Scholars :yahoo: allowed to voice my "thinks"? } :unsure:

sorry - off topic. Since when were you allowed to comment on some plonker going round spearing (wassat?) dragons. The whole thing is shrouded in mystery - probably a valium overdose.

225px-St_George_by_Raphael.jpg

"He was Turkish, he never visited this country and he has no particular associations with England."

Who cares

Nothing wrong with being Turkish :yes: I like him even more :lol: and besides the dragons he slayed were welsh :laughing: probably female , my long suffering brother is married to one :lol2:

"Who cares nothing wrong with being Turkish I like him even more and besides the dragons he slayed were welsh probably female , my long suffering brother is married to one"

HA HA HA HA HA! I love that one.