Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch In 2010 Yaris Tr

wy156

I took delivery of a new 2010 Yaris TR after previously having the SR. I'm finding the clutch so springy and taking ages to getting used to it and I keep stalling it. It can be dangerous if I stall on middle of a hill in a queue of traffic. I also keep stalling when reversing into a car park space especially when its slight slope up or uneven ground. The clutch in the SR was ever so good. One of the easiest cars I've driven.

It's a 6 speed gear box. I did have trouble using the gears when I first started driving the car but that's now easy.

Is anyone else having trouble with the clutch in the brand new Yaris?

Could it be my seating position? I'm 5 foot 2 and I like the Yaris due to the high seating position. I want to love and enjoy my new car but having problems controlling the clutch.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Just keep driving it, soon get used to it. New car, different clutch ect...

I picked up my brand Yaris 2 weeks ago.

I also find the clutch a bit strange. I find that when I change gear in low gear i.e. 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd and press the clutch to change gear it feels like clutch revs the car even though my foot is off the gas pedal. If that makes any sense whatsoever!! I took the car back to dealer and a guy from garage came out with me for a drive and he said that this is normal as the clutch is electric?! I am just starting to get used to it and now it doesnt really bother me.

• 2 weeks later...

I also find the clutch a bit strange. I find that when I change gear in low gear i.e. 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd and press the clutch to change gear it feels like clutch revs the car even though my foot is off the gas pedal. If that makes any sense whatsoever!! I took the car back to dealer and a guy from garage came out with me for a drive and he said that this is normal as the clutch is electric?! I am just starting to get used to it and now it doesnt really bother me.

Hi, electric clutch on yaris?? more info please , I have a 1.0ltr tr on order will it have an electric clutch if so how do that work?!!!!!

The mechanic perhaps meant that to stop the engine from stalling, the cpu increases the revs a little as you change gear?

The mechanic perhaps meant that to stop the engine from stalling, the cpu increases the revs a little as you change gear?

Hi, gotcha, thanks for that.

I find this same problem too. Mainly when changing from 1st to 2nd. A colleague at work said the same. This is my 5th car and I've been driving for about ten years and this has been the only car I'm taking forever to get used to and I'm still not used to it. The car don't hold very well using the clutch on a slope without some rev. In my old car, I was able to use the clutch and footbrake alone to stop and go on a slope but finding this new one very difficult. Teeny bit of clutch move stalls the engine. Being a slightly bigger engine, it needs more revs? Thought smaller engines require that more. I've always freaked out when I have to stop on a hill. The clutch in my previous Yaris was so perfect that stopping on hills was not a problem but this new one makes my heart pump fast as I approach a hill as I know I will stall or roll backwards.

It could be the stop-start system on the new Yaris that's causing more "intertia" in the flywheel as you depress the clutch, which means the revs don't drop as quickly as they would on a normal car.

I'm not sure how Toyota have designed the stop/start system on the Yaris, but typically a stop/start system would involve having a different type of starter motor permanently connected to the flywheel, as the teeth on a normal starter motor couldn't cope with the extra frequent use that a stop/start system would cause.

If Toyota have indeed followed this approach and the starter motor is permanently engaged, the rotational intertia of the motor will mean that the engine revs won't drop as quickly as they would on a car with a normal type of starter motor that only engages with the flywheel for the time it is actually starting the engine.