Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warranty Direct Woe's - Nasty Knocking Sound

rich1

Hi all,

Having some issues with warrenty direct over my Rav4 4.3 2.2 Diesel.

The basic argument is that warrenty Direct don't want to fork out for thr repair on my car because they believe there's nothing seriously wrong with it.

full story below!

Three weeks ago, I began to notice a knocking sound coming from the nearside front wheel of my car which progressively became worse. I followed their procedure correctly and booked the car in with my local Toyota garage and informed Warrenty Direct (WD) of the problem. After investigation by the garage I was told by them that the steering rack would need replacing as there was movement or ‘play’ in the nearside track control arm and they would contact WD to seek approval for the repair.

The garage were told by Warranty Direct that £750 for the part was excessive and a reconditioned unit would be provided for replacement.

I was not totally happy about this as a reconditioned part does not carry the same guarantee or warranty that a new part carries, but was willing to accept this alternative as long as it was fitted by Toyota technicians which I pay extra for in my premiums.

My garage phoned me and told me the situation so far and also informed me that an independent engineer had been notified to inspect the vehicle on Warranty Directs behalf. I agreed to this and once again booked my car into the garage for a second time for the inspection to take place. (I smell a rat!!)

A day later, I received a phone call from a representative of Warranty Direct to say that the engineer had found that there was play/movement of the part. Warranty Directs position put to me was that because this does not represent a failure at MOT, they were not willing to pay for the repair because there was no mechanical failure!

If there was no failure, there wouldn’t be a knocking sound coming from the nearside front wheel every time I go over a slight bump in the road. The engineer has picked up a fault/defect in other words a failure and they are refusing to honour my insurance policy which by August will have cost me £300.

I am sure that you can understand my frustration at this decision and my anger as Toyota have confirmed that the problem will only get worse if left unresolved to which I have requested from Toyota in writing as well as a safety report on possible repercussions of the fault being left unrepaired.

It states in my policy booklet that ‘Breakdown means the sudden and unexpected failure of a part arising from any permanent mechanical fault which causes the part to stop working, and means that it needs repairing or replacing before it will work properly’. In my opinion, if there is a loud knocking sound coming from the front of my car, and the engineer has picked up a ‘fault’, then the part is NOT working properly and will lead to excessive wear on the bushes, tyres and other suspension and steering related mechanics.

If WD believes that this mechanical fault is not a breakdown, then why do they cover bushes in their policy, these don’t breakdown, they wear our out gradually. i have had these replaced before under WD with my MR2!

Has anyone else had a problem with Steering rack/Track control arm or warrenty Direct for that matter?

If no joy through their complaints department, its off to the Financial Ombudsman service.....Joy!

Richard

I know it will not be what you want to hear but I don't think you will win. If your brake pads wear out you may well hear a nasty sound and not be happy about it and if you do nothing, the discs will get scored -but there is no way that the warranty company is obliged to pay out.

Why do you consider your problem is other than wear & tear?

I can understand,and sympathize, with your interpretation of the course of your claim.Rich.

I think what you have to remember is you are dealing with an insurance company,and we all know what some of them can be like! You have to lean on them and not take their first offer.

Surely,Redlew,brake discs and pad are considered be "consumables" and totally different to a slow moving, and usually trouble free component like a steering rack

What sort of mileage has it done? Have you thought about writing to TGB regarding a policy warranty claim. They might do something given it can be considered a premature failure as long as the mileage is average for the year.

I can understand,and sympathize, with your interpretation of the course of your claim.Rich.

I think what you have to remember is you are dealing with an insurance company,and we all know what some of them can be like! You have to lean on them and not take their first offer.

Surely,Redlew,brake discs and pad are considered be "consumables" and totally different to a slow moving, and usually trouble free component like a steering rack

It's a fair point Crofter, I was just trying to illustrate that not every "woe" can be covered by a warranty. Anchorman's mileage query is right -if it has done 15000 miles that is not good but if it has done 115000 miles -well that is wear and tear. Where between 15k & 115 K do you draw the line?

Hi all

Thanks for replies.

Car is a 56 plate with about 43,000 so pretty average mileage. i understand your points, but in my warranty booklet the steering rack is covered. Brake pads, tyres and discs are of course consumables and I wouldn't expect tp have these replaced under my warranty, but is a steering rack a comsumable? I don't think so. Toyota quated £750 for the part and 8 hours labour!!! so you can see why I am pursuing this so rigourously.

I wish you all the very,very best in your quest.

GO GET`EM TIGER

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hear this same story everyday. It is a common problem with "Third party" warranties

What people do not understand is that what you are buying is an insurance policy, you insure the parts covered with an insurance policy. Sudden and unexpected failure is exactly what it says, it is not a worn bush/pad/disc or whatever else fails. It will only cover the list of parts in the warranty document, it will not cover anything that is not mentioned and certainly not if it is worn or does not stop the car from working. It often helps if the garage wording is correct, such as "The water pump bearing is worn out" could be phrased as "The water pump bearing has collapsed" same thing, just a different way of saying it and more likely to be covered by the warranty operative taking the call

One of the reasons you can buy warranties from third parties cheaper, is that you do not get the same level of cover as the manufacturer, third party warranties often have high excesses or claim limits of only £500 or so, leaving you to fork out the rest in cash!!!

Not what you wanted to hear I know, but when somebody says to me "Well it's covered by warranty" The first thing I ask is whose warranty? If it's not a manufacturers warranty then it is not likely to be covered

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi all

Thanks for replies.

Car is a 56 plate with about 43,000 so pretty average mileage. i understand your points, but in my warranty booklet the steering rack is covered. Brake pads, tyres and discs are of course consumables and I wouldn't expect tp have these replaced under my warranty, but is a steering rack a comsumable? I don't think so. Toyota quated £750 for the part and 8 hours labour!!! so you can see why I am pursuing this so rigourously.

Good tip from Kingo. Can you get a second garage to give you a report saying the track arm bush has collapsed prematurely?

Have you spoken to TGB as a contingency?