Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Discs

righton

My Aygo is 2years old.Just had it in for its service,and been advised to have front

discs skimmed and new pads.the car has done 12500 mls,and they wont do it under it warrnty

I've had numerous cars and never had this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

My Aygo is 2years old.Just had it in for its service,and been advised to have front

discs skimmed and new pads.the car has done 12500 mls,and they wont do it under it warrnty

MY guess is that it is a combination of a number of factors:

It was a very severe winter and so lots more salt was used on the roads than usual; this corrodes the mild steel on the brake disks.

Modern brake pads are no longer made from asbestos (one of the best things to make pads from) and so they scour the disks harder and wear out faster than they once did.

The Aygo's engine is very low-friction in design so it won't brake as hard on the overrun, which transfers more of the braking effort onto the brakes.

did they tell you how much wear there was? A lot of the indys try it on and scare you with '70% wear' etc - like that means there is still 30% of their life remaining!

I replaced the front discs and pads on my 07 26k Aygo and started to feel that the disc's had warped, a slight judder when braking to rest. Anyway put back on original disc's and no judder. 3 weeks later with original disc's ( new pads ) the warped/judder reappeared. So now what, what causes this very faint but annoying judder when braking to stop?

They want to skim the disks? Didn't know that was still done - or do they just want to remove the lip from round the outside? I would have thought that it would be better to just replace them if they are worn with new ones. That's what I would do anyway! 12.5k isn't much for a set of discs! Think I would be getting a second opinion!

Rich

You can get a new pair of discs for about fifty quid and they only take about 20 minutes to fit, so why bother skimming them?

If you don't use brakes they don't wear out. Check them, but if they are low it's down to your driving. It's better to change to new components rather than messing with skimming etc.

I would probably just change them as well when the time arises. I've done 15k miles on my Aygo since July 25th last year and they still feel pretty good. I'm gonna check them myself before the next service and if needed, just get it all done at the same time.

Hi,

I've just posted about exactly the same problem with my Aygo. The car is 18 months old, and done 8000 miles. Toyota have refused to replace, repair, or contribute towards the £350 cost for replacement discs. Never had this problem with any other car, so assume the Aygo is built using some poor low quality parts, by a manufacturer who doesn't seem to care about customer satisfaction anymore (unless forced to take action after being humiliated by the media). Toyota have quoted £660 for the 2nd year service + replacement of the discs and pads. That equates to almost 15% of the current market value of the car, a value incidentally that has taken a severe knock due to Toyota's recent bad publicity. I've tried trading the Aygo, but no one is interested, not even the local Toyota dealer. That says it all doesn't it!! You have answered my question by confirming that this disc problem is not unique to me, as Toyota would have had me believe. I going to cancel my order for a new IQ, and buy from a more reputable manufacturer instead. Toyota can stick their vehicles, 3 year warranties, and £20 M&S vouchers up their corporate butts!!

I never understood skimming of discs. If they are lipped, its because they are wearing. Best to replace them with quality OE components. i agree, the Aygo brakes do seem unnecessarily soft thankfully these components are cheap to buy and easy to DIY ;)

make that stick their 5 year warranty ........ obviously they have increased it to a std 5 yr now to 'sweeten the deal' hard lines for all of us who bought Aygos or a.n. other Toyota last few years with only the 3 yrs!.........

make that stick their 5 year warranty ........ obviously they have increased it to a std 5 yr now to 'sweeten the deal' hard lines for all of us who bought Aygos or a.n. other Toyota last few years with only the 3 yrs!.........

The original front brakes are very good at doing

what they were designed to do, stop an Aygo well.

However, they are made of "soft".

Skimming is a waste of time these days.

It takes the lip off but that is no benefit as then, you

can't see as easily how much your brakes are worn.

The pads are made slightly smaller than the disc diameter for

exactly that reason. You see a lip, you know they're wearing.

When it comes time to replace mine (& the wife's),

I will probably go for Mintex.

Old established brand with good quality.

Don't have the price premium of EBC who have built on the "boy racer" image.

(I have had EBC on previous cars and they were good though).

(Price of 4 pizzas)

How long do they last?

perhaps you could have a set of the Mintex ones fitted by a local VAT registered garage. Really shouldn't be expensive as it's a very simple job.

They will probably last longer and be less prone to corrosion?

Ian.

About 2 years ago, I took my Aygo in for a wheel alignment check at about 13,000 miles, and when I collected it I was told they had changed the discs as they were "lipped" with no charge to me...just as well as I hadn't asked for it to be done.

I heard later that replacing discs is no longer covered by warranty, on Aygo's certainly. Skimming is a waste of time, I would have thought.

It must be due to low spec. steel being used for the discs, and I would imagine fitting good quality aftermarket discs would make them last a lot longer.

I have had an IQ for about 18 months and the discs are showing no wear at all, front and rear (rear discs on IQs), after covering a greater mileage than my Aygo, with the same sort of driving.

the £350 cost for replacement discs.

I was quoted £245 for replacement pad and discs from my Toyota garage. £350 seems excessive!

I would guess they have suggested the skim due to corrosion not wear.

We used to do this many times at work (not as much now as Toyota wont authorise it as much under warranty)

If the discs are still pretty thick and well above the minimum thickness why not skim them?

The machines we have skim the discs when still fitted to the vehicle therefore taking any brake judder out of the equation too.

Plus im sure from the dealer it would be alot cheaper than replacement!

Mart.