Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tracked The Iq This Weekend!

niwabc

Went to a new circuit (Spa Nishiura) nearby to shakedown the iQ. Totally stock trim. (GRMN model) Played around with VSC on and off and it seems to have enough mechanical grip once the tires are warm to render the electronic band-aids unnecessary but I can see how they might be useful for low-traction scenarios.

IMG_4564.jpg

Key points that can be improved:

1. Gearing + LSD (if possible)

2. Shift feel (Especially 1st-2nd)

3. Fuel tank starvation (In a normal iQ this would be fine, but this is supposed to be a GAZOO RACING PERFORMANCE MODEL. Let's have a full package capable of supporting the impressive suspension).

4. Quicker steering ratio, less EPS assist

5. Reposition mode/reset button for the Multi-information display

6. Consider deleting Start/Stop if it allows engine to rev faster and give better response

7. MORE POWER!!!

With a set of stickier tires and a full tank of gasoline, I think I could have cut at least 5 seconds off. It grips like crazy once you get some heat in the tires, but the fuel starvation is something that needs to be addressed.

I was planning on using the first hour to get a feel for the car and just see how it handled the tight transitions and high-speed braking, and the second hour to go on a more aggressive attack but ran into the fuel issue partway through.

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

Spa Nishiura? Sounds like a cross between "Spa" and "Nippon", is that right? What (please explain to me, I don't know the phenomenon) exactly is "fuel starvation"? Doesn't the engine get enough fuel, sometimes? And welcome to the board. You know, I'm very pleased my IQ is "made in Japan". Guarantee of quality; but I must admit my new IQ is the very first Japanese car I have ever bought in my life. But Japanese quality is there from many electronics items and my beloved Casio watches!

The place is actually Nishiura, Japan. So they simply added a bit of spice by adding the word "Spa" in front of it I suppose. There is also an actual spa nearby, so perhaps a play on that as well.

Anyway, fuel starvation.

IMG_4570.jpg

Fuel inside the tank moves away from the pump and pump pickups and is no longer able to be sucked up and delivered to the engine.

This can lean out (too little gasoline) the air/fuel mixture and cause engine damage if done excessively.

High-performance vehicles often have barriers (baffles) installed within the tank to prevent the fuel from moving around too much. I don't believe the iQ has such a device.

Not really an issue for 99.99% of the owners. This is an economy car so it really has no need for such a device.

Only the ones crazy enough to take it to the track will probably ever notice.

Easiest solution is to ensure that you have a full tank of gas.

• 2 months later...

can't you just fit a fuel swirl pot to get around fuel starvation ?

I keep thinking of doing this since I switched to slicks on track (not in my iQ)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links