Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycle Carrier

Davidjt

Has anyone managed to fit a cycle carrier to an IQ yet, needless to say have just bought two new bikes & when I ask about cycle carriers all I get is blank looks, my local dealer suggested Toyota Customer Care, they are not interested as not on Toyota's parts list, Thule can sell me all the bits for a roof mounted system bur that seems to be a no no due to weight loading being 0 kg, no tow bars available so that type of mounting also no go, that just leaves the strap on type but which is suitable for an IQ.

The Saris range look interesting but not all reviews good & once again the IQ is not on the list, any suggestions more than welcome.

Toyota Replied:

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we are unable to help you with this accessory since TMC has decided to cancel the development.

Furthermore, we will remove the photo and details from our website.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards

Parts Manager

:crybaby:

Back to Sq One?

:crybaby:

Back to Sq One?

That's a real shame.

It looked really good. Seemed like it attached somehow under the car rather than some sort of strap-on solution. I can see that they have now removed the cycle carrier from the accessories catalogue so probably confirms its demise.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I had the same problem but i found a solution ! this company make a tow bar for the car so that you can add a cycle carrier to the back, but the clever thing is that it will not allow towing a trailer or caravan... simply because the car cannot manage it! this is why its so hard to find a cycle carrier for the car. it allows about 50kg of wheight to be added and is simply a realy clever idea. there are quite a few cars small cars that they have designed this for not just the IQ, they also sell the bike carriers themselves. Hope this helps ! :thumbsup:

Links:

Toyota IQ cycle carrier

Small car cycle carrier

Toyota rear mount cycle carrier

Hi people!

Well, i have the same problem here in Portugal. I asked for the Toyota cycle carrier or the towbar for my iQ and the answer was simple: "That accessory is not available for your car model".

Anyway, there's a member of this forum (who's helping me a lot on this subject) that has a towbar mounted by toyota (sweet-dentist), so it's possible. I've contacted a garage and they can mount a towbar on the iQ. With the towbar is much easier.

I'm thinking about buying the Thule Xpress 970 or the Thule Euroway. But didn't made up my mind yet.

Hi people!

Well, i have the same problem here in Portugal. I asked for the Toyota cycle carrier or the towbar for my iQ and the answer was simple: "That accessory is not available for your car model".

Anyway, there's a member of this forum (who's helping me a lot on this subject) that has a towbar mounted by toyota (sweet-dentist), so it's possible. I've contacted a garage and they can mount a towbar on the iQ. With the towbar is much easier.

I'm thinking about buying the Thule Xpress 970 or the Thule Euroway. But didn't made up my mind yet.

---------------------------------------------

This is the original.. too steep backwards.. so not of use..

DSC05097.jpg

DSC05096.jpg

DSC05104.jpg

trekhaak-nummer.jpg

Got an adjustable one.. Thule.. And have grinded the top thing away (not allowed by Toyota!).

DSC05154.jpg

DSC05152.jpg

907817659201.jpg

And João can fill in the details.. cause I gave him all the info... And in his country Toyota "can" not deliver this (strangely enough)...

• 1 year later...

19 May 2013 Posted this on a couple of threads, so that UK owners are aware.

I asked Mr T's Customer Service about fitting a Thule ""Towbar"" fitting
to an IQ and was told there is no problem and does not affect the
warranty.

(Thule towbar fitting is not to be used for towing but can be used for towball mounted bike racks only)

Rgds

19 May 2013 Posted this on a couple of threads, so that UK owners are aware.

I asked Mr T's Customer Service about fitting a Thule ""Towbar"" fitting

to an IQ and was told there is no problem and does not affect the

warranty.

(Thule towbar fitting is not to be used for towing but can be used for towball mounted bike racks only)

Rgds

Well... I am working on that at this moment.

The car will be tested to acquire the amount of weight it can pull.

In Germany it is allowed to pull 500 kilograms with brakes and 350 kilograms without brakes.

And the towingbar construction in Germany is exactly the same al of Thules.. only the towing hook connects underneath and not at the rear. Also the towing hook of Thule has a mounted "comb" on the top.

Witch can be easily removed with an angel grinder..

But hopefully my iQ will go soon to the technical station of the "testing institute" ... I have filled in the acquired papers.

Sooo... in this world we have three (3) types of bicycle-rack holders at this moment.

An American one , a Dutch one (Thule) and a German one (Rameder)..

Germany is the only one that agrees is pulling 500 kilograms or 350 kilograms with no breaks.

Here:

http://img3.rameder.nl/mall/1/files/samples/to0741_v1.pdf..... page 21...

Hier some pictures..

German:

103641_640x640_v1_zps35e8d31e.jpg

Dutch:

toyota-iQ-trekhaak-2_zps146f9f92.jpg

And another Thule:

Pullinghook-Thule-2-_zps265fb002.jpg

And the American:

facebook_1367822067_zpsefe8b752.jpg

The American sticks out at the =back of the car... and seems to me a very "untrustworthy" construction... But it can hold 2 bikes...

Well - I'm using a standard Halfords bike carrier I bought 10 years ago! Fits and works perfectly. Had 2 bikes on it the other day. 2 bikes 2 up its quite a load for the little 1.0, but it did ok. My mate was amazed the IQ held 2 guys, all our gear and 2 mt bikes hanging off the back. No scratches on the tailgate so far either!

Interesting reply regarding towbar fittings for the IQ, and a range of prices ???

Please keep us posted on the type approval as having a towball would be very useful for me to use the IQ to move its own car trailer when at home or on a campsite. Parking up a trailer with a m/home takes more skill than I have got ;-)

Rgds

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well - I'm using a standard halfords bike carrier I bought 10 years ago! Fits and works perfectly. Had 2 bikes on it the other day. 2 bikes 2 up its quite a load for the little 1.0, but it did ok. My mate was amazed the IQ held 2 guys, all our gear and 2 mt bikes hanging off the back. No scratches on the tailgate so far either!

Do you have a photo or the model/name of the one from Halfords?

Well today I boldly phones the insurance company of my iQ... and told about the 2 years of back and fro (RDW / Toyota and back again....

(((RDW is the Duthc Road Permittance Company... they have to test things... but we already know that in Germany it's no problem and has an European agreement to pull an trailer))).

Asked to the telefoon person...

"What about a trailer behind the iQ... I can not get is agreed bij the Dutch Car Thing (RDW)...and it is allowed in Germany?"...

He heard my story and connected me after having consulted another one, me to an other person.

This person looked in hid PC and there "fine-print"...

Answer: "My dear Sir... as long as it has good tires / has a good connection to the car on the pullinghook / has excellent lights / has a safety cable to the chassis of the car / is in good shape / it is all in order and A-OK..." "I read here in our agreements-list that this is no problem and it is normal insured when things happen"..

So pulling a light trailer is no problem concerning the insurance bit.... HURRAY... :-D

I asked for paper work and he will send me a transcript of his text.

HURRAY... at last...

For the motorbike... and the boat... :-))))))

DSC_1059_zps8b6372d3.jpg

and:

DSC_0991_zpsc0c28b9f.jpg

And:

DSC_1070_zpsf83f1a2c.jpg

Sweet-dentist, those photos are incredible. Still grinning :-)

• Like 1

Saris gran fondo works fine (is recommended as suitable on the saris website) and looks pro, quite pricy but a great deal from merlin cycles in the ukpost-99517-0-18509400-1402077975_thumb.j

• Like 1