Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Impressive Mpg

jjj_aygo

Hi there,

I just wanted to share my latest economy figures with everyone because I am truly stunned by them.... let me explain...!

Most of you probably know my modifications by now, but for those who don't they include;

1) Full stainless steel Balance Motorsport exhaust system

2) K&N 57i Induction Kit

3) O.Z. Super Turismo 15" * 6.5" alloy wheels

I usually drive rather exuberantly but I decided that I would do a test to see just how economical she was despite these modifications and despite the fact she has done over 66,000 miles!

I filled up on the beep with normal octane fuel... £10's worth which gave me 8.36 Litres and covered 104.2 miles before the beep came again.... I invite you all to do the maths but it works out as 56.66 MPG!!!!!!!!

Anyone else impressed?! :yahoo:

Also just to mention... I live and drove every one of those miles In Bath... a relatively congested city that isn't all that flat either! .... that just impresses me even more!

Also just to mention... I live and drove every one of those miles In Bath... a relatively congested city that isn't all that flat either! .... that just impresses me even more!

I know how you feel. Grantham to Blackpool and back average of 63MPG, I love my Aygo!!!!

I average 60mpg with mixed driving, What's not to love...

I tend to get between 55-62 on the MMT, average is good, but it feels like it is starting to creep up gradually to the 60's all the time. Last tank got me 62.09MPG which is good for a lot of mixed driving.

Am I the only one who seems to be stuck in the 40's getting nowhere near the 50's never mind the dreamy heights of the 60's........

Blue with MMT, SPORT and CUSTOM options and only other thing is I have a sub box in boot but surely that doesn't lose me 20 mpg?

Any ideas?................

Am I the only one who seems to be stuck in the 40's getting nowhere near the 50's never mind the dreamy heights of the 60's........

Blue with MMT, SPORT and CUSTOM options and only other thing is I have a sub box in boot but surely that doesn't lose me 20 mpg?

Mine was totally down to driving technique... before I would be getting 45mpg when really caning it but I kept revs below 2000 always and coasted in neutral whenever possible ie. down hills ect. I'm sure the sub won't affect your mpg that much at all!

Mine was totally down to driving technique... before I would be getting 45mpg when really caning it but I kept revs below 2000 always and coasted in neutral whenever possible ie. down hills ect. I'm sure the sub won't affect your mpg that much at all!

My best tank was just over 63mpg.

On holiday......MMT......air-con on about 50% of the time, big sub in boot.

Solution......Move to Belgium, very, very flat & straight roads. Top gear most of the time.

Round Sheffield, gentle driving, about 50mpg.

Ian.

Hi. Picked up my wifes new Aygo Blue today and drove back from Burton on Trent to Wimborne. Quite a lot of traffic so plodded on at 60mph. Filled up in Wimborne tonight ang we achieved 65MPG. I appreciate that she will not achieve this in normal day to day use but what a start.

Andrew

My father, for whom I bought the Aygo (see sig.), can manage silly 60-odd MPG regularly; which is purely down to his style: low revs (change below 2K revs.); gentle acceleration; momentum kept up where at all possible (IE: little use of breaks)...mostly in town driving. Stunning MPG IMHO, but too far boring.

I'm happy with near 50MPG with my normal style thank you.

My MPG hasn't dipped below 50, which I'm really chuffed about. Just been on two long motorway trips since filled up, managed 240 miles on the first two 'blobs'. Very impressed, it'll be more town driving over the next few weeks, so it'll be interesting what the longer, faster trips have made. My best so far has been about 55 MPG. Very pleased indeed.

I'm still struggling to get 50 mpg. It will do a bit more on a motorway run at a constant 58mph but even then nowhere near 60 mpg as some people think they are getting.

My calculations are based on thousands of miles and good record keeping, could it be that some folk are getting false impressions based on one tank of fuel and the inaccuracies this can throw up?

I'm still struggling to get 50 mpg. It will do a bit more on a motorway run at a constant 58mph but even then nowhere near 60 mpg as some people think they are getting.

My calculations are based on thousands of miles and good record keeping, could it be that some folk are getting false impressions based on one tank of fuel and the inaccuracies this can throw up?

I've been checking mine from new, it now has just over 20000 miles in 3 years.

I check carefully my mpg every couple of tanks just to feel smug after my last few cars.

I think my worst ever tankfull was last winter, loads of short town journeys,

sub-zero temperatures with heater fan, air-con, wipers, heated rear screen & lights......45mpg.

Average since I've had my Aygo is roughly 54mpg.

Do you keep your tyre pressures correct, it makes a big difference.

I found mine were wearing on the edges rather than the centres so I

run mine at 34psi front & 32psi rear.

Ian.

Calculating fuel consumption based on the odd tank full is not very accurate. You really need to log the total quanity of fuel used for a decent quanity of miles,say 5,000 miles or more. Care is also needed to convert lires of fuel (as now sold at the pumps) to UK gallons.

Using this method I'm recording between 40 - 50 mpg for our basic Aygo (with no air conditioning or anything else that lowers the fuel consumption).

Disappointing, it has not met our expectations or manufactures inflated claims.

I realise that to get a more accurate result you need to take in more than just the odd tank of fuel.... its the same for any data set... the greater amount of data over the greater period of time will give you a more accurate and meaningful result.

I just wanted to point out how little difference modifications have seemed to make. I would have thought that the bigger and fatter wheels with stickier tyres alone would have had devastating results on my MPG let alone a bigger diameter stainless steel exhaust system, but I still managed to return a figure of 56.66 mpg (using the same calculations I have used since the car was new)!

I'm still impressed! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've just filled up at 459 miles - very impressed! Works out at a staggering 58.6 MPG!!! Beats my previous best by nearly 5 MPG and 30 miles! So pleased, this nice weather probably has something to do with it. Very pleased indeed. My overall average since I bought the car works out at around 51.5 MPG (I have an app that tells me this, I'm not just being a geek!) :P

Proves just how important fuel economy really is, and how economical the Aygo can be.

Well at least someone is happy, although your 58 mpg based on one tank of fuel may be very misleading. However I note that you claim you exceed over 50 mpg as an average, if this is accurate then that is a fine result and much more than I'm acheiving.

Our last car was a 1300cc A series Metro, it did a genuine 50 mpg (much better than our basic Aygo) and had much better acceleration. It had a manual choke, no cat convertor and no fuel injection, so I suppose thats the price of progress!!

I remain unimpressed.

Well at least someone is happy, although your 58 mpg based on one tank of fuel may be very misleading. However I note that you claim you exceed over 50 mpg as an average, if this is accurate then that is a fine result and much more than I'm acheiving.

Our last car was a 1300cc A series Metro, it did a genuine 50 mpg (much better than our basic Aygo) and had much better acceleration. It had a manual choke, no cat convertor and no fuel injection, so I suppose thats the price of progress!!

I remain unimpressed.

Well 58 MPG is the latest result I achieved and I'm very happy with it. I have an iPhone App which works it all out, and I've compared the results with my own calculations and it's spot-on every time, very accurate. I've averaged 51.68 MPG since I bought the car - very happy indeed.

I'm not exactly always light-footed with the accelerator either, but I find changing gear earlier and using the brakes less helps fuel economy considerably. Less revving and less acceleration also helps - the Aygo only really requires a light feathering on the accelerator when doing around 30mph on the flat. Doing a few motorway journeys also helps, though I only venture onto the motorway about once a week at the moment. This'll be changing in September, when I'll be doing more motorway miles, so it'll be interesting to see how my fuel economy changes.

In the meantime, I guess coming to an Aygo from an old Metro has been quite a dramatic change - power steering etc, perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to the car? I'm sure you're impressed with the £20 road tax though, I guess you were probably paying quite a bit more with the Metro.

Hi there,

If you are managing to acheive 51+ mpg overall that is better than our 45 mpg overall, although the gap is not as large as it first appeared. Although I'm still puzzled why you are getting a better return.

We rarely need to use a motorway (and when we do we keep the speed to a constant 58mph for economy reasons), in addition most of our driving is in the type of light traffic that you would expect to give a good fuel consumption return.

Yes the Metro had higher road tax but with higher insurance cost and more fuel needed, the cost of running the Aygo is most likely about the same.

There are things I like about the Aygo but the power steering that you mention is not one of them, the car is too light for this aid and I find that you need a good level of concentration as the steering has insufficient damping, it tends to wander with every road surface variation unless continually corrected manually. After a long journey I find this more tiring than if I had driven a Metro without power steering.

There are things I like about the Aygo but the power steering that you mention is not one of them, the car is too light for this aid and I find that you need a good level of concentration as the steering has insufficient damping, it tends to wander with every road surface variation unless continually corrected manually. After a long journey I find this more tiring than if I had driven a Metro without power steering.

I REALLY agree with this, it's an absolute nightmare, the car feels like it could veer off course at any time...steering is just far too light.

I haven't worked out my MPG yet as I've only filled up once, for reference I was getting 51MPG on my 2007 Yaris 1.3 and I used to rev that like mad. I wonder why the Aygo and IQ are not giving better fuel consumption considering that they are lighter than the Yaris and are both built around efficiency???

Hi there,

If you are managing to acheive 51+ mpg overall that is better than our 45 mpg overall, although the gap is not as large as it first appeared. Although I'm still puzzled why you are getting a better return.

We rarely need to use a motorway (and when we do we keep the speed to a constant 58mph for economy reasons), in addition most of our driving is in the type of light traffic that you would expect to give a good fuel consumption return.

Yes the Metro had higher road tax but with higher insurance cost and more fuel needed, the cost of running the Aygo is most likely about the same.

I find it really hard to understand why you only get 45mpg when I managed 56 mpg (all be it just one tank not a lifetime figure)

When was its last service? Perhaps mention to your dealer that you are not getting a very good figure?

In regards to your steering comment... I would hope that you do maintain a very good level of concentration however long you are driving... it sounds like you would prefer not to have to concentrate on your steering so much :unsure: ... I also ride a motorbike and trust me when I say every single biker will be concentrating not just on their steering but on car drivers' too!!

Aygo owner, I'd maybe think about getting your car looked at by the dealer. There should be no reasonable way that you are not getting more than what you are saying. Either it is something about the car or the way it is being driven.

The lowest I have ever recorded was 46mpg and that was a lot of mixed and hard driving. That was not long after I collected the car last July and the second lowest I have ever got was 49mpg. The economy now is minimum on average of 55mpg regardless of style of driving, it almost seems as though I struggle to get it lower than that. I just drive steady and with sharp overtaking only as needed. I find keeping the revs below 3k helps the economy a bit and you can still move along quite easily. Last few tanks have been 57mpg at lowest and 62mpg at highest. I always fill right up to the same point.

All this is tracked since last year with mileage, cost, type of fuel etc, so I know that my figures are reasonably sound.

Really hope you get to the root of the problem you have.

Hi all

collected my wife's aygo blue on wednesday just gone, topped it off just outside the dealers , done 80 miles now mixed driving and still have all the blobs on the fuel gauge - I'm wondering if it's faulty or really not using any gas??? Lol

Hi all

collected my wife's aygo blue on wednesday just gone, topped it off just outside the dealers , done 80 miles now mixed driving and still have all the blobs on the fuel gauge - I'm wondering if it's faulty or really not using any gas??? Lol

Not faulty, typically get over 100 miles on first blob!

It is not an evenly graduated scale... it decreases exponentially!

Enjoy your new car! :)