Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malfunction Warning Light Issue

Splendar

Hi,

I have a Toyota Avensis 1.8 2003 manual petrol and It was recently purchased. Usually when I switch on the engine the 'Malfunction Warning' light(yellow pipe kind of a symbol)will go off, but last 2 days it remains there always while driving. But I didn't find any issue in driving the vehicle, it runs normally and I didn't notice any noise or performance issue. What is the problem for this warning Symbol? I noticed that 2 days before only I changed my engine oil myself and didn't make any changes in the car setting or something. I selected the engine oil as per the manual.

Any suggestion for this problem?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a Toyota Avensis 1.8 2003 manual petrol and It was recently purchased. Usually when I switch on the engine the 'Malfunction Warning' light(yellow pipe kind of a symbol)will go off, but last 2 days it remains there always while driving. But I didn't find any issue in driving the vehicle, it runs normally and I didn't notice any noise or performance issue. What is the problem for this warning Symbol? I noticed that 2 days before only I changed my engine oil myself and didn't make any changes in the car setting or something. I selected the engine oil as per the manual.

Thanks.

As a quick guess (and a guess is all it is) have you caught/damaged/dislodged the wiring to the O2 sensor(s) (or any other wiring) while you were changing the oil? There's such a long list of possible things that could put the light on it's impossible to guess any further.

If you can't find anything obvious, you need to get the fault codes read with a code reader. Most garages have them and it should point you in the right direction.

Hi,

Thanks.

As a quick guess (and a guess is all it is) have you caught/damaged/dislodged the wiring to the O2 sensor(s) (or any other wiring) while you were changing the oil? There's such a long list of possible things that could put the light on it's impossible to guess any further.

If you can't find anything obvious, you need to get the fault codes read with a code reader. Most garages have them and it should point you in the right direction.

in most of the avensis there is a remind service light something like that. it remind you when to change oil. so all you need to do is to reset this. you will have to reset it. to do this you need first to switch to on position then select odo not trip then switch off then hold the odo button then switch to on position for about 10 sec then numbers like 000000 should appear that mean that you ve reset it succesfully

in most of the avensis there is a remind service light something like that. it remind you when to change oil. so all you need to do is to reset this. you will have to reset it. to do this you need first to switch to on position then select odo not trip then switch off then hold the odo button then switch to on position for about 10 sec then numbers like 000000 should appear that mean that you ve reset it succesfully

I was not able to reset as 000000. When I press the odo nob the Trip A and B only reset to 00.

Anyway I took into a local garage and did a computer check. It costs me £20 to find the problem. As per the report it says "Catalytic Converter is below its threshold level" and they reset the warning light. They even told that the replacement of Cat converter will cost £100, but if the warning light doesn't come again no need to change it now. After that I used the car for nearly a week of 500miles, the warning light doesn't come and everything runs fine. So, shall I leave this as it is or I need to change the Cat converter? if so what is the approx cost of it?

Thanks.

I was not able to reset as 000000. When I press the odo nob the Trip A and B only reset to 00.

Anyway I took into a local garage and did a computer check. It costs me £20 to find the problem. As per the report it says "Catalytic Converter is below its threshold level" and they reset the warning light. They even told that the replacement of Cat converter will cost £100, but if the warning light doesn't come again no need to change it now. After that I used the car for nearly a week of 500miles, the warning light doesn't come and everything runs fine. So, shall I leave this as it is or I need to change the Cat converter? if so what is the approx cost of it?

Thanks.

Hi mate, very good value and advice at your garage. I would leave it and see how you get on, not sure on cost but it won't be cheap!

If you give your car a good fast run on a regular basis you may avoid changing the CAT for some time. The CAT needs to run at very high temperatures to be efficient which is why they rev the balls of the engine sometimes during an MOT to get the figures low enough to pass the test.

Regards Pete.