Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lc3 2005 Engine Failure

macpcs

Hi All.

New here. Have done a quick search to see if any related topics but unable to find any. Anyway..

55 plate LC3, FSH and 63k, serviced 6 weeks ago, owned almost from new (ex demo).

Friday, on cruise at 70mph, hung in 4th gear, lost power, oil light illuminated, pulled onto side of motorway (6 passengers, such fun, engive dead.Turn over but not firing.

Toyota recovery (cannot fault club Toyota) Garage investigation - holed piston, head knackered, 1 bore knackered, new engine required (garage diagnosis, not mine). Head and bits in boot and now at my local Toyota dealer (rather than recovering garage in the middle of Scotland).

Anyway, the initial garage suggests maybe an injector issue has caused this failure. I spoke to local Toyota dealer (where my car is now deposited) and they said they currently have a landcruiser in with very similar problem but they have caught it before it pops a piston etc.

Does anyone know of such a problem? I read various reports of LC D4D engine failures shortly after 55k etc., and various injector issues etc. I would expect that a LC with FSH and 63k mileage to last a little longer than this (obviously a hugely expensive repair).

It has also been intimated that Toyota may make a "contribution" to any repair. Quite what this may be I am unsure. Is there any issue that Toyota are aware of and are attempting to placate oweners into silence?

Basically, I am seeking any further information as to what the cause may have been and what are my options of resolution. If I need to go the replace/recon exchange engine option does anyone have anywhere they would recommend to obtain one from?

My local Toyota dealer will be giving their views on the failure/cause etc over the next few days so other things may come to light, but not comfortable that I have a vehicle in bits, possibly facing a repair bill of between 2k and 8k and not knowing is there was a known contributory cause for this which should have been addressed prior to the engine going pop.

Thanks anyway

Mac

An update to this....from another toyota owners site..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a face to face with dealer (they are always good with me anyway. Have used them for years with Toyota's and Lexus etc) and they have had a look at the engine (head etc already removed) and said that they dont anticipate Toyota arguing about covering the cost of a total engine replacement (new). They are going to take pics and discuss with Toyota. Courtesy vehicle supplied for duration.

Of course, I was armed with necessary info when I went in, but didn't need most of it. When I intimated about the 5yr/100k extended engine cover from Toyota they said it wasn't necessarily as clear cut as that...more a case of Toyota replacing a blown engine under these circumstances as a gesture of goodwill, rather than a defacto extension of the warranty.

Dress it up how you like, it certainly DOES appear to be the case of (for those dealers in the know/willing to be co operative) that anyone popping an engine under these circumstances will, or highly probable, receive a warranty replacement of the faulty engine, or at least parts affected.

Incidentally, it appears that it is cheaper for a dealer to buy the complete motor in parts (bottom end/block/head etc) and assemble themselves than to buy a completely built motor. Usually cheaper to buy complete units of things rather than component parts. Anyway, that's irrelevant.

Will update when something to tell.

mac

macpcs

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 15:13 Post subject: ps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, and conversant with litigation and consequential loss situation's, so have no concerns regarding a positive resolution really. Yep, there may be some trauma before resolution, but will be resolved I am sure.

mac

marlot

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 16:19 Post subject:

Sounds like another case of the copper injector seals failing.

It's time toyota bit the bullet and did a recall to swap them all to the later aluminium design, like toyota ireland have done. I believe mercedes have already done a similar uk recall

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mac it seems I have had a similar ocurrence, wife was driving with baby and same happened as you on the motorway, do you have any further info as it is in with toyota now and I would like as much info as possible to go in with once they have a reort for me, any furhter advice would be greatly received, my 04 plate had done 90k when it failed.

Looking forward to hearing back if possible

Best

Vince

Had a face to face with dealer (they are always good with me anyway. Have used them for years with Toyota's and Lexus etc) and they have had a look at the engine (head etc already removed) and said that they dont anticipate Toyota arguing about covering the cost of a total engine replacement (new). They are going to take pics and discuss with Toyota. Courtesy vehicle supplied for duration.

Of course, I was armed with necessary info when I went in, but didn't need most of it. When I intimated about the 5yr/100k extended engine cover from Toyota they said it wasn't necessarily as clear cut as that...more a case of Toyota replacing a blown engine under these circumstances as a gesture of goodwill, rather than a defacto extension of the warranty.

Dress it up how you like, it certainly DOES appear to be the case of (for those dealers in the know/willing to be co operative) that anyone popping an engine under these circumstances will, or highly probable, receive a warranty replacement of the faulty engine, or at least parts affected.

Incidentally, it appears that it is cheaper for a dealer to buy the complete motor in parts (bottom end/block/head etc) and assemble themselves than to buy a completely built motor. Usually cheaper to buy complete units of things rather than component parts. Anyway, that's irrelevant.

mac

macpcs

oh, and conversant with litigation and consequential loss situation's, so have no concerns regarding a positive resolution really. Yep, there may be some trauma before resolution, but will be resolved I am sure.

mac

marlot

It's time toyota bit the bullet and did a recall to swap them all to the later aluminium design, like toyota ireland have done. I believe mercedes have already done a similar uk recall

Hi Mac it seems I have had a similar ocurrence, wife was driving with baby and same happened as you on the motorway, do you have any further info as it is in with toyota now and I would like as much info as possible to go in with once they have a reort for me, any furhter advice would be greatly received, my 04 plate had done 90k when it failed.

Looking forward to hearing back if possible

Best

Vince

mac

macpcs

mac

marlot

Hi Vince

Sorry for late reply.

Check out this thread on a similar forum, where I have oposted updates.

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8620&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=9dbe55ba5486bb6e2d1752e62e4b9039

Essentially, Toyota are covering the whole cost of a pretty much complete engine replacement (approx £9.5k worth). When my dealer sent the pics to Toyota (of stripped motor), Toyota authorised replacement straight away...parts and labour. Vehicle due back in several days.

Mac

• 1 year later...

Hi It appears that Toyota LC have an engine problem, we have a 05 model with 90k on the clock. been a fantastic car, right up until the engine blew up. exactly same circumstances - 70 mph on motorway. Local dealer stated that engine will be replaced FOC (cost 7k) BUT because not a full Toyota service history they will not pay for labour. I dont get it. if Toyota does not have a problem with the engine then why offer a free engine ( i am garetful for that!) but if they do then why charge for the labour (about 3k) to put it in, if the engine has a known problem

Did anyone else get an offer of free labour despite not having a full toyota service history?

thanks

• 1 month later...

Cant help there. Our parts and labour was fully covered. Maybe our FSH and long history with the dealer helped?

How did you get on in the end?

Mike

Hi It appears that Toyota LC have an engine problem, we have a 05 model with 90k on the clock. been a fantastic car, right up until the engine blew up. exactly same circumstances - 70 mph on motorway. Local dealer stated that engine will be replaced FOC (cost 7k) BUT because not a full Toyota service history they will not pay for labour. I dont get it. if Toyota does not have a problem with the engine then why offer a free engine ( i am garetful for that!) but if they do then why charge for the labour (about 3k) to put it in, if the engine has a known problem

Did anyone else get an offer of free labour despite not having a full toyota service history?

thanks