Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Aygo Corroded Brake Disc

melanie1

My Aygo is 18 months old, and has covered only 8,000 miles. It recently developed a nasty grating noise when the brakes were applied. A visit to my local Toyota Dealer revealed that the offside front disc was rusted and heavily pitted, although the nearside disc was fine. They could offer no explanation for it, other than it may have been caused through lack of use. As the car is used every day, and garaged, this is most unlikely. I requested the discs and pads be replaced under warranty, but Toyota not only refused to do this, but also declined to contribute to the cost, or even offer to have the disc skimmed. I have had an independent garage look at the problem, and they believe the original discs on the car are poor quality, and possibly defective. I know there have been problems with discs corroding badly on other Toyota models, and that Toyota normally replace under warranty, or at least offer to skim them. In my case though, they have quoted £350 for the work, which I think is unacceptable. My local garage has quoted £200, using non-Toyota parts, which might be better if the authentic parts are such poor quality. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems with an Aygo, and whether Toyota replaced the parts under warranty, or refused like they have in my case. Toyota told me that they would have replaced the parts free of charge if the vehicle was less than 18 months old, which I think makes a complete mockery of their 3 year warranty. I'd also like to know whether I can take this any further, as Toyota say their decision is final, and refuse to discuss it. They obviously based their decision on the inspection report from my local dealer, so on principle I won't be taking the car back to them in the future. After the recent recalls and bad publicity, I'm suprised they aren't more focused on customer satisfaction. Toyota deny there has ever been a problem with discs on the Aygo, and claim to be unaware of issues with discs on any of their models. I have a new IQ on order for delivery in August, but am now seriously considering cancelling that order. Toyota are aware of this new car order, but still refuse to budge on the Aygo warranty claim. So, before I make a decision on whether to cancel, I'd be really grateful for any advice members can give me. Cheers, Mel!

I've just read the previous post regarding front disc corrosion problems, but I'd still like to know whether there is anyway of forcing Toyota to replace under warranty, or at least help with the cost. Cheers, Mel!

That's pretty crap mate. Get down to another dealer and see what they will do for you.

My Aygo is 18 months old, and has covered only 8,000 miles. It recently developed a nasty grating noise when the brakes were applied. A visit to my local Toyota Dealer revealed that the offside front disc was rusted and heavily pitted, although the nearside disc was fine. They could offer no explanation for it, other than it may have been caused through lack of use. As the car is used every day, and garaged, this is most unlikely. I requested the discs and pads be replaced under warranty, but Toyota not only refused to do this, but also declined to contribute to the cost, or even offer to have the disc skimmed. I have had an independent garage look at the problem, and they believe the original discs on the car are poor quality, and possibly defective. I know there have been problems with discs corroding badly on other Toyota models, and that Toyota normally replace under warranty, or at least offer to skim them. In my case though, they have quoted £350 for the work, which I think is unacceptable. My local garage has quoted £200, using non-Toyota parts, which might be better if the authentic parts are such poor quality. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems with an Aygo, and whether Toyota replaced the parts under warranty, or refused like they have in my case. Toyota told me that they would have replaced the parts free of charge if the vehicle was less than 18 months old, which I think makes a complete mockery of their 3 year warranty. I'd also like to know whether I can take this any further, as Toyota say their decision is final, and refuse to discuss it. They obviously based their decision on the inspection report from my local dealer, so on principle I won't be taking the car back to them in the future. After the recent recalls and bad publicity, I'm suprised they aren't more focused on customer satisfaction. Toyota deny there has ever been a problem with discs on the Aygo, and claim to be unaware of issues with discs on any of their models. I have a new IQ on order for delivery in August, but am now seriously considering cancelling that order. Toyota are aware of this new car order, but still refuse to budge on the Aygo warranty claim. So, before I make a decision on whether to cancel, I'd be really grateful for any advice members can give me. Cheers, Mel!

Not good enough is it? I had problems with corroding wheel nuts in the alloys on my Aygo Platinum; dealers said that as these were not Toyota parts (which came as a surprise)they were not covered. However someone at dealers told me to ring customer services and complain. I did and they authorised replacements.

Worth a try?

Don’t let your Aygo experience spoil your new iQ. The Aygo isn’t a Toyota thoroughbred; it has French DNA from Peugeot and Citroen, it’s also built on the cheap :thumbsup:

Thanks. I've tried Toyota Customer Services but they absolutely refuse to replace the parts. Tony.P. - I also have rusting wheel nuts, so think the other post was right, and the Aygo is a piece of Cheapo Franco Jappo Crappo

If you're ******, and want to ***** them off, file a claim against them in the small claims court ;)

In my experience, when I had the factory fit ContiEco3 tyres run down to minimum in 8K miles (in as many months) my Dealer and Toyota GB were unsympathetic. It took me 3 weeks and a couple of [choice] worded phone calls and I got the result I wanted.

You have to persist, and with the ultimate leverage of a new car on order, I am surprised Toyota GB have declined to help. Get right back at them!

If you're ******, and want to ***** them off, file a claim against them in the small claims court ;)

In my experience, when I had the factory fit ContiEco3 tyres run down to minimum in 8K miles (in as many months) my Dealer and Toyota GB were unsympathetic. It took me 3 weeks and a couple of [choice] worded phone calls and I got the result I wanted.

You have to persist, and with the ultimate leverage of a new car on order, I am surprised Toyota GB have declined to help. Get right back at them!

The original front brakes are very good at doing

what they were designed to do, stop an Aygo well.

However, they are made of "soft".

When it comes time to replace mine (& the wife's),

I will probably go for Mintex.

DECENT PRICE

Old established brand with good quality.

Don't have the price premium of EBC who have built on the "boy racer" image.

(I have had EBC on previous cars and they were good though).

perhaps you could have a set of the Mintex ones fitted by a local VAT registered garage. Really shouldn't be expensive as it's a very simple job.

They will probably last longer and be less prone to corrosion?

Ian.

There's something not right here. My discs corroded after <20,000 miles and Toyota replaced them under the warranty, I didn't even need to ask, they just did it during a service. Apparently the discs are guaranteed for 20,000 miles. You should talk to Toyota head office and get this cleared up :thumbsup:

Discs are covered for 3 years if they crack/break. They are covered for wear/corrosion up to 20K or 18 months whichever is the sooner, Toyota are not at all fexible on this

Kingo :thumbsup:

The original front brakes are very good at doing what they were designed to do, stop an Aygo well.

I quite agree, they are very good and I have never really had to complain. However, they are too soft :( I mean not just soft but starting to lip at 10K miles...I mean WTF?

Toyota really need to tighten up their QC on stuff like this as it will only continue to damage their reputation. The Aygo is supposed to be cheap, but if things wear out twice as fast as other cars, then thats not cheap.

Unfortunately for my Dealer and Toyota GB, I am like a dog with a bone on stuff like this ;)

Discs are covered for 3 years if they crack/break. They are covered for wear/corrosion up to 20K or 18 months whichever is the sooner, Toyota are not at all fexible on this

Interesting. Is there like a Toyota Bulletin ref. for this Kingo?

My Blue is 12 months old and has done only 2100 miles. (Short commutes to work)

The Visual Safety Report after the first service stated

"Front discs corroded on inner face. Recommend skim."

The Receptionist said that they would check the discs again at the next service. (24 months)

Having read some posts about the 18 month warranty, I'll be re-visiting my Toyota

dealer shortly to check where I stand on the warranty cover.

Interesting. Is there like a Toyota Bulletin ref. for this Kingo?

Any more info.on this Kingo please? Anything 'official' would be very helpful!

Hi

Sorry missed this ongoing thread, yes there are several bulletins on this subject and you dealer will be able to advise you about your specific car should you need clarification

...there are several bulletins on this subject and you dealer will be able to advise you about your specific car should you need clarification...

Top stuff man; thanks for that.

Front discs are quite lipped and pads 50%; doubt the discs are worn sufficiently to warrant replacement. But if I don't ask I don't get ;)

Car booked in on 26/06 so we'll see how it goes!

hi mel i think sometimes its down to wether you have a good dealership or abad one. took my car for its 10k service and the mechanic noticed slight grooving on one disc the dealership then arranged for me to take my car in and they fitted new discs and pad to both wheels under warranty the dealer is gordon lamb toyota chesterfield

...i think sometimes its down to wether you have a good dealership or abad one. took my car for its 10k service and the mechanic noticed slight grooving on one disc the dealership then arranged for me to take my car in and they fitted new discs and pad to both wheels under warranty...

I am sure my Dealership _hate_ me :) I make my problem, their problem...after all as the adverts now state: 'Its MY Toyota' don't they? So my problem is their problem. Its the least I can do ;)

At the end of the day though, I am not asking for anything out of the ordinary. If Toyota had bothered to fit proper door seals, correct compound tyres and better brakes in the first instance - they wouldn't now have the car back to fix these issues. I have never had a 'normal' car that eats front tyres in 8K miles; had front discs lipping badly (with 50% pad wear) in 12K miles (in as many months)...shoddy Toyota quality IMHO and I will not hesitate to get at them until they make it right.

To put the brakes into perspective:

1. BMW E46 330i - Pads every 30K, dsics 60K.

2. VW Passat 2.5 V6 TDi - As above.

3. Lexus RX300 - As above.

4. BMW E90 330d - As above.

...and these are much heavier, larger, greater power-to-weight ratio vehicles than the Aygo. This rate of wear is unacceptable froman Aygo.

did you get the additional door seals fitted?

do you know the part numbers (3dr) as my dealer has never heard of them!

cheers

hi mel i think sometimes its down to wether you have a good dealership or abad one. took my car for its 10k service and the mechanic noticed slight grooving on one disc the dealership then arranged for me to take my car in and they fitted new discs and pad to both wheels under warranty the dealer is gordon lamb toyota chesterfield

I've had dealings with them in Chesterfield and Queens Road Sheffield always found them pretty good.

Hi all - I pick up my wides new aygo blue today but I've had the corrosion problem on all my cars for over 40 years!!!

It seems that it's my fault.. I wash the car, leather it off and put it in the garage. Next morning there is a light coating of rust on the disks. This obviously gets worse over time.

Toyota have replaced the front disks on my last two avensis and I can see my prius going the same way, although it's due to be changed next march/april so front disks may not need changing by then. As far as the new aygo goes, it will probably get used more than my prius so.....

I'll keep u posted

One day I'll learn to type..a.. It's my wives aygo -she'not wide!!!!!!

One day I'll learn to type..a.. It's my wives aygo -she'not wide!!!!!!

So you say :lol: I'm the Parts Manager here which sometimes get tryped as prats manager or parts mananger :eek:

My Blue is 12 months old and has done only 2100 miles. (Short commutes to work)

The Visual Safety Report after the first service stated

"Front discs corroded on inner face. Recommend skim."

The Receptionist said that they would check the discs again at the next service. (24 months)

Having read some posts about the 18 month warranty, I'll be re-visiting my Toyota

dealer shortly to check where I stand on the warranty cover.

I've been back to the Toyota dealer and I've now got a slight grating noise

when under light braking.

The dealer said that the corrosion is due to my low milage and is not

covered by warranty.

They have quoted £77 to skim both discs.

• 1 month later...

I've got a Aygo Blue 08, it's first service at 9k required the front discs to be skimmed, this was done under warranty. I'd mentioned to the stealer that I would like them replacing as I'd never had any disc corrosion problems with any of my previous cars (even my 53 plate Alfa 147, the engine blew up with a £1700 repair bill but the brakes where fine!), the stealer refused but said he would replace them if they required skimming the next service which was a load of crap. Second service disc corrosion, no replacement due to being over 18months, stealer didn't mention that on year one.

The brakes are now totally pitted on the inside of both discs, externally there excellent but internally their uneven causing huge vibration when braking, I can stop but the vibration can't be good for the front suspension, brake units or steering rack so in the next week or so it's a trip to a local garage for some non toyota parts as any 3rd party replacement will be better than the junk they put on.

The quality of the toyota discs are very poor, talking to customer services is a waste of time as they hide behind their policies to the letter.

I like the Aygo but the price of servicing and quality of parts are disappointing, the concept of cheap motoring is appealing but toyota/pug/citroen have provided a car with quality which was seen 10 years ago not to todays standards.

A note on servicing £190 for 2nd year service, I shouted at the service desk that it's not an Audi and reminded them that my friends Seat Leon TDI sport service at their dealer was only £165, new price immediately given £160, after some silience from me £150 offered. Dealers will always be STEALERS, haggle I probably paid too much at £150!