Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2.0 D4D Replacing Horn

clives

I am trying to replace the horn on the Auris with something a bit louder and have managed to locate the horn, which is in the area in front of the radiator behind the front grill.

The problem is that it seems as though the way to get to the horn fixing nut, is by taking off the whole front section, including the front bumper and sill. The only other option I can think of, is to cut the wires to the horn, as I can just get my hand down inside to reach them, leaving the old horn still fixed in place. Then provided I can somehow draw the ends back through into the engine compartment, re-attach to the the new horn which I will fix somewhere inside the engine compartment.

My question is, can anybody tell me if they have already done this, and if so any snags I should be aware of, as I am not prepared to take the front bumper off.

Thanks in advance

Seems like the only proper way to change the horn is to remove the bumper first. It's not difficult to remove it and can be done using basic tools. You can use your method and leave the original horn in place, but I'd do the whole thing properly at once. Here is how to:

hdlmp1.jpg

hdlmp2.jpg

hdlmp3.jpg

hdlmp4.jpg

Credit for pics goes to tavy!

Here are some project pics:

0b531af07b85.jpg

05811fb3f21c.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the really detailed drawings and photos.

I'll probably take your advice as I was almost half way through drawing three (having missed out the two clips in drawing two!) when I abandoned the job first time.

Once again thanks for all the help

No problem, glad that you found my advice helpful :)

• 5 months later...

Seems like the only proper way to change the horn is to remove the bumper first. It's not difficult to remove it and can be done using basic tools. You can use your method and leave the original horn in place, but I'd do the whole thing properly at once. Here is how to:

hdlmp1.jpg

hdlmp2.jpg

hdlmp3.jpg

hdlmp4.jpg

0b531af07b85.jpg

05811fb3f21c.jpg

i am thinking of replacing my horn on my auris,and have read the advice on these post.i dont want remove the bumper to do this, but the advice given says its the only way to do a good job of it.

when having a look around the bumpe fixtures to see where various clips have to removed i had a thought of a possible way.the plastic cover under the bonnet has to be removed first,but in front of that there is another plastic cover thats connected to the top of the bumper by three screws going through the front bonnet seal and more clips under the seal joining this plastic cover to the bumper.its seems to be a seperate part to the bumper.

if this is so, and can be removed it would give ample access to the horn.

has anyone ever removed this second cover and could give advice.

are the various plastic clips re-useable after being removed.

thanks in advance for any replies.

I am the original person who started this topic and I also tried the way you suggested i.e. trying to remove the plastic cover at the top of the bumper assembly.

I tried everything and could not get the top cover to come adrift from the main assembly, and I also was not keen on taking the entire bumper off the front of the car.

The surprising thing is, that following the instructions offered, it took me no more than 30 - 40 mins to do the whole job. Removing the bumper assembly - 10 mins - fitting the new double horn by tapping in to the existing wires and using the existing horn bolt - meaning I now have a triple horn - 10 - 15 mins - and putting the bumper assembly back - 10 mins.

The only thing to watch is that if you have fog lights, the wires to them are not long enough to let the bumper assembly rest on the ground. So have a couple of large pieces of wood ready to support it, once it is off. I would of disconnected the wires but the bumper was so large that I could not keep it off the ground and still get the wiring connectors apart.

I really would recommend taking the whole assembly off because it does make the job so easy and it is not that difficult.

Hope this helps.

I am the original person who started this topic and I also tried the way you suggested i.e. trying to remove the plastic cover at the top of the bumper assembly.

I tried everything and could not get the top cover to come adrift from the main assembly, and I also was not keen on taking the entire bumper off the front of the car.

The surprising thing is, that following the instructions offered, it took me no more than 30 - 40 mins to do the whole job. Removing the bumper assembly - 10 mins - fitting the new double horn by tapping in to the existing wires and using the existing horn bolt - meaning I now have a triple horn - 10 - 15 mins - and putting the bumper assembly back - 10 mins.

The only thing to watch is that if you have fog lights, the wires to them are not long enough to let the bumper assembly rest on the ground. So have a couple of large pieces of wood ready to support it, once it is off. I would of disconnected the wires but the bumper was so large that I could not keep it off the ground and still get the wiring connectors apart.

hi clives

thanks for your reply.

as you have already tried to take off the second panel, then i will take your advice and remove the whole bumper.

yes ive got the fog lights too.

i picked up a nice pair of horns from a breakers near norwich and they tested them for before paying.nice tone and not too noisey.£5.00.

i am going to use the original horn wires to switch a relay,and taking the feed direct from the battery to the main contacts.

can i use the plastic clips again cos if not i need to get some.

I really would recommend taking the whole assembly off because it does make the job so easy and it is not that difficult.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

hi clives

if you leave the wiring to the fog lights connected does leave much room to work on the horn mounting work.

Snnce I have had my AURIS, not long, its one of my few complaints- the horn is pathetic.

thanks for this. It now looks like a practical DIY project.

pajjy

When I said the fog horn wires restrict the bumper assembly being able to be put straight on the ground, it doesn't restrict the access to the horn assembly in any way.

You just have to lean over the top of the bumper assembly, now resting on the blocks of wood, to reach the horn wires and bolt. But it is still at least 30cms from the horn so doesn't get in the way at all.

pajjy

When I said the fog horn wires restrict the bumper assembly being able to be put straight on the ground, it doesn't restrict the access to the horn assembly in any way.

You just have to lean over the top of the bumper assembly, now resting on the blocks of wood, to reach the horn wires and bolt. But it is still at least 30cms from the horn so doesn't get in the way at all.

hi clives.

been reading these post about replacement horns.very helpfull and great pics.

pajjy

thanks clives that clears that concern.dont know if to start fitting the horns now or wait till warranty is finished at end jan.not a lot of room in garage to be working under wings.not keen to do it outside in 3 inches of snow.

if i did would not need wooden blocks,just pile the snow to suit.the neibours will think i am nuts (ithink they do anyway)no answer about reuse of plastic clips.thanks again.

ps

what is the blck plastic rod or whatever on the left near the pipe going into the condenser hanging over the the front of the cross member in second pic.

Sorry, I don't know what the black plastic piece is, all I know is that it didn't impact fitting the horns, so left well alone.

Re doing the job and reusing the plastic clips. I found all the main ones by the wheel arches and underneath were fully re-usable, as were all themain ones on top. The only problem I had was that some of the plastic clips on the outside edge of the top plastic cover did not clip up as tight as previously, but still did the job.

The problem with trying to getting new clips before you start is that there are about three different types covering the whole job and unless you get say one or two of each, you ever know which one may or may not be loose. I would suggest do the job, use the old clips and purely replace any that are loose afterwards. All the fixings underneath are bolts and the wheel arch fixings seem very strong ad re-usable.

Sorry, I don't know what the black plastic piece is, all I know is that it didn't impact fitting the horns, so left well alone.

Re doing the job and reusing the plastic clips. I found all the main ones by the wheel arches and underneath were fully re-usable, as were all themain ones on top. The only problem I had was that some of the plastic clips on the outside edge of the top plastic cover did not clip up as tight as previously, but still did the job.

The problem with trying to getting new clips before you start is that there are about three different types covering the whole job and unless you get say one or two of each, you ever know which one may or may not be loose. I would suggest do the job, use the old clips and purely replace any that are loose afterwards. All the fixings underneath are bolts and the wheel arch fixings seem very strong ad re-usable.

thanks once more clives.

• 4 months later...

i bought new air horn... but when i removed da bumber.. der is only one single green wire.... and i got 2 terminals on my new horn..... how do i connect it???? pls help....

i bought new air horn... but when i removed da bumber.. der is only one single green wire.... and i got 2 terminals on my new horn..... how do i connect it???? pls help....

the single wire going to your horn is the pos wire.the horn earth is through the horn mounting

with the two connectors on your new horn, connect the original wire to one of these,is does not normanly matter which unless marked neg or pos (- or +) then connect a wire to the other connection to any good clean earthing point using a small nut and bolt if there is a hole near the horn mounting,or you can drill a small near the horn a use a self tapping screw to secure to metal work.after testing alls ok give screw area a coat of paint to stop rusting.

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

I'm a newbie, and apparently I'm not the only one who thinks the Auris horn/hooter is pretty pathetic :)

Just got my Auris last week, it's a 2011 Hybrid... Was driving to work with my wife a couple of days after buying the car and someone cut me up, so me being me hit the horn - then there was a moments silence - and we both just burst out laughing :)) But, all-in-all it's not a funny thing when in a dangerous situation where you need to make yourself be heard. So I decided to change it.

Does the steps mentioned above apply to this one too or does the procedure differ a little? I hope it's as easy as this, because I'll be doing it today if that's the case! :)

Also, is there a horn anyone can advise me? - I found these, but not sure if it's suitable:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_787877_langId_-1_categoryId_165704

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_787885_langId_-1_categoryId_165704

Many thanks people,

Mehmet

Sorry can't help with the choice,but must agree with you, the horn is pathetic.

Similar thing happened to me,got cut up and blew the horn.

I thought "I bet that scared him".

NOT !!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi;

my horn on Auris has a problem, can someone send pictures from post on date: 04 June 2010 - 10:36 PM, because I can't see them. I think they doesn't exist on the server anymore.

• 1 year later...
On 04/06/2010 at 9:36 PM, Speed_Chaser said:

hdlmp1.jpg

hdlmp2.jpg

hdlmp3.jpg

hdlmp4.jpg

0b531af07b85.jpg

05811fb3f21c.jpg

Hey speed chaser, i know it was a long time ago but is there any chance you know where to find these pictures again? seem to have been removed from the servers