Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rav 4 - Dab Radio Question

Skyedrive

Just joined this group after having bought an ex demo XTR AWD which was first registered on 1 Sept 2009. I am really impressed with the car (apart from the RFT's which for me was nearly a deal breaker). I am a bit confused about the radio which is according to the dealer DAB ready and there is a button marked DAB-FM. I am not in a DAB area but will be travelling soon and want to know whether this radio will work in a DAB area. The handbook is a little confusing and the brochure does mention something about an accessory "DAB upgrade" though this does not seem to appear on any price lists. Whilst the dealer said it was DAB ready there is no DAB in that location either (Highlands). Can anyone clarify the situation please, will it work or do I need to buy another part to upgrade it.

Thanks,.

Alan

Isle of Skye

Hi Alan, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

If you have an XTR then you don't have run flat tyres! :) You'll have a tyre repair kit under the floor of the boot.

The DAB receiver is normally placed on the top left of the windscreen with the cable to the radio running along the A pillar.

If you don't have that on your windscreen then you cant pick up DAB stations.

Hi Alan, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

If you have an XTR then you don't have run flat tyres! :) You'll have a tyre repair kit under the floor of the boot.

The DAB receiver is normally placed on the top left of the windscreen with the cable to the radio running along the A pillar.

If you don't have that on your windscreen then you cant pick up DAB stations.

Just as importantly, Duncs, if it was "almost a deal breaker" that Alan was arguing with the Salesman about, this implies that the salesman was under the impression that the car had runflats, which he had to defend to make the sale !!!!

The bind moggles......

Big Kev :eek:

Great ploy....

I can now argue that my RAVs are DAB ready in that each car has a Battery..... :lol:

Even.. my landrover is 'heater' ready as it has been known to run (a few years ago) and could be fitted with a decent heater although I don't believe this mod has been achieved anywhere yet.

I'd try the dealer for a free DAB box as you are so disappointed that you don't have runflats, despite being told you did. :crybaby: :crybaby:

Just joined this group after having bought an ex demo XTR AWD which was first registered on 1 Sept 2009. I am really impressed with the car (apart from the RFT's which for me was nearly a deal breaker). I am a bit confused about the radio which is according to the dealer DAB ready and there is a button marked DAB-FM. I am not in a DAB area but will be travelling soon and want to know whether this radio will work in a DAB area. The handbook is a little confusing and the brochure does mention something about an accessory "DAB upgrade" though this does not seem to appear on any price lists. Whilst the dealer said it was DAB ready there is no DAB in that location either (Highlands). Can anyone clarify the situation please, will it work or do I need to buy another part to upgrade it.

Thanks,.

Alan

Isle of Skye

I've been looking at a Tiquan and there is a DAB option for it. I think it involves a seperate add on and suspect Mr T's version is similar. As you say , I can't find it on toyota website. I had a DAB radio back in 2001 in a company Mondeo , mind you I was installing the transmitters so it was slightly helpful! Then I took voluntary redundancy but that's another story.

Thanks for the really helpful info guys.

The "runflat" discussion with the salesman was interesting. He explained how if I got a puncture, I would have to repair it with the puncture kit and that repair would allow me to drive 100 miles which would interestingly be just enough to get me back to the Dealer in Inverness (Oops just gave away the dealer!) as Toyota dealers are the only ones who can repair or replace the run flat tyres on the vehicle I was buying. The handbook had a lengthy section on run flat tyres so I assumed he was correct.

As for the DAB, he did make a point of saying it was DAB ready but I could not test it as the nearest DAB area was Glasgow! I was suspicious but as there was no information on the accessories list for the "add on" I had assumed it really was ready.

Clearly I made too many incorrect assumptions!!! I was uncertain about the car but really was impressed on the test drive which is why I went for it.

Thanks again for your help on this and I will certainly be on the phone to the Manager of that particular establishment for his comments before I get on to Toyota.

Though must admit I am relieved that I do not have run flat tyres!! :yes:

Alan

As for the DAB, he did make a point of saying it was DAB ready but I could not test it as the nearest DAB area was Glasgow! I was suspicious but as there was no information on the accessories list for the "add on" I had assumed it really was ready.

Yes, well, some might suggest he is talking out of a certain orifice.

No, I don't think you'll get DAB over on the isles at the moment, but Inverness is certainly listed as being covered by the Beeb national DAB multiplex and probably by some local ones as well. You probably couldn't test it as it wasn't actually fitted!! :rolleyes:

"DAB ready" basically means that the head unit (radio) is capable of "talking" to the add on DAB box when it is fitted. There's a little communication link involved with all toyota audio/visual stuff and the head unit is ready to accept and understand messages to/from the DAB box. Marketing men strike again!

looks like more transmitters were scheduled for Scotland this year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio/digital_radio.shtml

The XTR is a fine motor anyway, especially with the 150 D4D engine in it. :thumbsup: