Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 D4D Head Gasket

jock69

Hi All New to the Site

I have a burning question to ask you all in conection with “Definitive 2.2 D4d Head Gasket Stance By Toyota”.

I have just purchased Avensis 2.2D4d T180 Tourer 07 plate 91000 miles on the clock, have had it for 4 days then noticed a rapid tempreture rise. Took it to my local garage who had a look and told me that they think that it was the head gasket. I then took it to my local dealership who confirmed my worst fears that it had gone or that there was a fault that pointed to either the cylinder head,block or gasket . As I know the peron that I had bought the car from they informed me that the car had already had a replacment gasket done in March 09. The dealershsip has contacted Toyota GB and have decalred that they are notmprepared to hnour any work as it is over the 60000 mile warranty. From reading other threads on the forum it seems to be that Toyota do have an issue with the cylinder head gasket and I am looking for confirmation from anyone with regards to the extension of the warranty to 100000. I am absolutely flabbergasted that a two years and ten months old car will need 3 gaskets.

Toyota GB have now come back and said they want a total diagnosis of the fault but have not committed to meet any of the costs for a strip down diagnosis or repair which currently sits for strip doen at £679 just to investigate. Any ideas on how best to resolve this issue?

Hi All New to the Site

I have a burning question to ask you all in conection with “Definitive 2.2 D4d Head Gasket Stance By Toyota”.

I have just purchased Avensis 2.2D4d T180 Tourer 07 plate 91000 miles on the clock, have had it for 4 days then noticed a rapid tempreture rise. Took it to my local garage who had a look and told me that they think that it was the head gasket. I then took it to my local dealership who confirmed my worst fears that it had gone or that there was a fault that pointed to either the cylinder head,block or gasket . As I know the peron that I had bought the car from they informed me that the car had already had a replacment gasket done in March 09. The dealershsip has contacted Toyota GB and have decalred that they are notmprepared to hnour any work as it is over the 60000 mile warranty. From reading other threads on the forum it seems to be that Toyota do have an issue with the cylinder head gasket and I am looking for confirmation from anyone with regards to the extension of the warranty to 100000. I am absolutely flabbergasted that a two years and ten months old car will need 3 gaskets.

Toyota GB have now come back and said they want a total diagnosis of the fault but have not committed to meet any of the costs for a strip down diagnosis or repair which currently sits for strip doen at £679 just to investigate. Any ideas on how best to resolve this issue?

Forgot to say it has a Full Toyota Service Histoy 8 in total,have not had the 9th as it went in for this service when this was picked up on.

Not in any particular order. Vosa recalls website, sales of goods act, small claims court ie: not fit for purpose, bit late now for youreslf, just don't buy thes c_ _ p T180's. Anybody with in the industry know's that their is a potential problem with these engines, why take the chance of buying a duff car.

This is what you get for a grand for investigation into head gasket! Toyota want me to pay 2k for new engine fitting plus consumables this at 72.000 miles, 14 months of ownership, for a known problem this is now in the hands of the finance company who have got a bit more clout than me now been off the road for two months all i can now say is never again stick to citroen from now on.post-71692-127585913416_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Im sorry for your trouble ,,, i have a 2.2 d4d t3x and the gasket went at 49k ,,, thankfully it was under warranty ,,, when the gasket was replaced James a memeber of the charles hurst sales team on the Newtownards road Belfast told me that the gasket was warrantied for a year or 100,000 miles ,,,,,, recently the injectors went and i had to go back to toyota to another charles hurst branch in belfast and there service employee told me that the information was incorrect and that any and all new parts were only warranted under the origional manafactires warranty of 60k or 3 years !!!!!!!!! completly unbelieveable ,,, all i would suggest you do is complain complain complain ... toyota arent really in a great spot at the momnet and maybe they need just a little pressure ,, i think its a disgrace that toyota havent extended the warranty as its a common fault ,, i was one of the first people to post about this problem and got shot down for being anti toyota!!!! im a taximan and do loads of miles evey year ,, so the problems im experiencing now you lot may experience in the future ,,i would suggest you fill the car up with water and go back to a different toyota dealer and if you can afford it ,,, trade it in !!!!!!!!

[

take it back and get your money back. call c.a.b for advise but you will be intitaled to a fefund. ive had same problem with 2.2d4d t spiit. at 65000 miles and now again at 95000 but this time in need of total new engine.

[

take it back and get your money back. call c.a.b for advise but you will be intitaled to a fefund. ive had same problem with 2.2d4d t spiit. at 65000 miles and now again at 95000 but this time in need of total new engine.

It depends where you bought it from!

If you bought it from a trader then you would almost certainly expect a refund because it is a major componant. It all depends on a number of factors. If you bought it private then you have no chance of a refund

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Do we know what the root of the problem is ?

I have a T180 with 40K on the clock & showing no signs of any problems.......yet.

Could it be some people are maybe eg. overreving the engine or driving the car a little too enthusiastically? Don`t forget, on these forums we usually mainly find people with problems with their cars, there are thousands out there that probably dont have these issues.

• 6 months later...

My view on this issue is that Toyota service personnel is letting these cars down. First head gasket on 2.2 D4D i have went at 85k and it was replaced by Toyota. When I bought the cat it was just over 90k on the clock. It is very wright that there is absolutely no sign that head gasket has gone, there is no loss in power, no difference in fuel consumption, no smoke out of exhaust, nothing. If you dont look regularly on he coolant level you may be driving like this for months. I bought the car in the summer therefore id did not strike me that the heater doesn't work. My point is that 5000 miles after the gasket was replaced it had gone again. I took it to the dealership and was told that there is extended warranty for his particular failure up to 100k) but only for single repair, which was done at 85k!!! Then dealer told me that it would cost me £2ooo for investigation of what the reason was. This money though would not cover the cost of potential repairs which would be at least £3000 (if the engine block cracked £7000). After giving me this news dealer was kind enough to inform me that he thinks that any potential investigation would probably point out that there was a cooling problem of some nature (pump). Believe it or not but I decided not to carry on with this generous offer. This would mean spending at least £5000 on the car that I just bought an which is only worth around £4000.

What I decided to do instead is to take it to a local garage where i was quoted £1100 for the repairs (parts and labour!!!). Couple of guys removed the engine from the car replaced the gasket, water pump, thermostat and the gearbox oil. All that would take them 3 days if they wouldn't have to wait two weeks for Toyota to deliver the gasket to them as they lost the order three times.

I bet you would like to know what caused the gasket failure in the first place? Toyota mechanics left two bolts undone.

It's now about a year and 20k after the repair and everything is still running great. Car is now running even smother after reprogramming the injectors which again were replaced by Toyota and compensation codes were not entered into CPU.

Rant over.

out of interest out what sort of percentage of 2.2s are affected by this? because dont they use the same engine in the auris verso and even the lexus is220?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the poxy gasket problem. Just been told by garage that total costs will be 1700 quid (pressure check, labour, chain replae, tension, top skimming etc)! My extended warranty will cover 700quid, so I will have to pay 1000. I ve been told that its adviseable to replace the chain as well, as i ve done 115k... This is included in the price (1700). When I was buying the car I ve thought that chain doesnt need to be replaced... So my question is, do you think that the garage just wants to rip me off? Do I really need to replace the chain witn 115k on the clock? Thanks!

To be honest unless the chain is extremely expensive it would make sense to change it while the engine is in pieces. Not an absolute necessity but a prudent measure to protect the cash you are shelling out.

Hi,

I have the poxy gasket problem. Just been told by garage that total costs will be 1700 quid (pressure check, labour, chain replae, tension, top skimming etc)! My extended warranty will cover 700quid, so I will have to pay 1000. I ve been told that its adviseable to replace the chain as well, as i ve done 115k... This is included in the price (1700). When I was buying the car I ve thought that chain doesnt need to be replaced... So my question is, do you think that the garage just wants to rip me off? Do I really need to replace the chain witn 115k on the clock? Thanks!

As far as I was explained, skimming of the head is not advisable on diesels, as compression ratio will change, and engin will never work the same.

TwoT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So i got my car back today - after over 2 weeks! Gasket replaced, drive chain replaced.

But now I noticed slightly power loss! on 2nd gear at 3k turbo kicks and after that is fine.

But on first 2 gears before i reach 3k the car has lack of power.

What u recon? Maybe smth to do with chain replace? bad timing or so?

Hi,

So i got my car back today - after over 2 weeks! Gasket replaced, drive chain replaced.

But now I noticed slightly power loss! on 2nd gear at 3k turbo kicks and after that is fine.

But on first 2 gears before i reach 3k the car has lack of power.

What u recon? Maybe smth to do with chain replace? bad timing or so?

Hi mate, I would go back and tell them if you are not happy, the power comes in on mine just below 2k.

Pete.

1)why are people paying for repairs??warranty up too 115k or 6 years...no arguments....im halfway through a rebuild of a rav 4 t180

2)when the gasket is gone you dont just replaced the gasket you replace the block and the head.what happens is you get gasket shuffel which wears grooves in the head and the block which inturn makes them scrap...so if the garage just replace the gasket it will happen again.....

ive rebuilt more of these engines than i care to remember.....(im a toyota licenced tec)

1)why are people paying for repairs??warranty up too 115k or 6 years...no arguments....im halfway through a rebuild of a rav 4 t180

2)when the gasket is gone you dont just replaced the gasket you replace the block and the head.what happens is you get gasket shuffel which wears grooves in the head and the block which inturn makes them scrap...so if the garage just replace the gasket it will happen again.....

ive rebuilt more of these engines than i care to remember.....(im a toyota licenced tec)

I thought that Mr T would only cover the warranty upto 100k. So thats a handy bit of info to know. I was lucky when I bought my Avensis T-180 (I hope) because just shy of 100k a new short engine was fitted under warranty. I bought the car with 104000 miles on the clock.

Ormi, my car has 115800 on the clock :)

It took them so long to repair cos they had to send the top for inspection, pressure test and skim.

They didnt notice any cracks etc.

BTW about my power loss...It seems like getting better now... Dont know if im goin mad or it just

comin back to normal.. My computer shows fuel usage slightly higher, but i heard that computers

after they been disconected need a bit time to come back to normal..

can you chime in and clarify this for us ?

thanks

• 1 month later...

Toyota told me there is no extended warranty period for the head gasket problem.

Yet lots of people seem to be getting the work done for free, so it seems like they are just trying to avoid admitting liability, and fixing these cars as a 'goodwill gesture'!

• 4 weeks later...

I was driving on Sunday and for the first time, noticed my car's temperature rising slightly then falling - as the cooling fan cut in. I drove home and checked the coolant level and I could hear a small hiss from the front of the engine between the block and the radiator with no visible signs. Let it cool and topped it up. This now explains why the cooling fan had been cutting in more - I'd just put it down to warmer weather, as the diesel runs cooler anyway.

It's a 2008 Avensis 2.2TR D4D with 56k miles.

Took it to Inchcape Toyota in Burton on Trent today and they quickly diagnosed it as a head gasket failure. They knew my car was covered by the Toyota extended warranty, but told me it would have been done free of charge anyway due to it being a known issue.

I'm thus taking it in next Monday for them to strip the head off and sort things out with Toyota. They're also giving me an Auris HSD to drive around for the duration of repairs, which I'm told could be up to 2 weeks.

Thus, provided it doesn't in fact cost me any money(!) then I'm quite OK with that....

Thats good news. Its always a pain when something like this happens, but its good to know that Toyota are happy to rectify it at no cost to the customer.

Coming from a Ford that had a number of well known issues that Ford expected the customer to pay for, I'm glad i bought Toyota when something this serious could crop up.

I hope your back in your car soon! :thumbsup: