Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D Head Gasket

jock69

I got rid of my T180 2 weeks ago and before this I had the following symptoms:

1. Coolant level dropping after topping up twice, but no visible leak anywhere.

2. Sudden rise in cabin temperature despite no change of temperature settings

3. Heavy smoking, could have been DPF re-gen but it was very heavy and frequently

4. Engine light came on but no performance decrease (not limp home mode), cleared it by ecu reset

All of the above symptoms and lack of confidence that the car could age well made me up shop and got a Honda.

I made enquiries about all the symptoms between 2 official dealers and got very mixed advice, bottom line is that Toyota gave me no confidence that this was going to be a problem or not.

Personally For me, confidence is everything.

• 1 month later...

Well, over 4 weeks later and my car is sat in the workshop, on a ramp, with the engine out and in bits....

As has been seen before with others' cars, it needs a new block too as well as everything else to do with the head gasket. I also asked them to look at the clutch for signs of wear, as it's a lot cheaper to change that when the engine's out than in another years time or so.

The clutch and engine block is on back order at the moment. There was a date of 18th May, but that's now been put back to date unknown - possibly blamed on the Tsunami.

They needed the Auris HSD back, so I've now got an Auris 1.33 and it feels like my washing machine has more power!

Spoke to one of the mechanics at the dealership today in the workshop and he was concerned at how long this has been so far and he's suggested that service speak to Toyota customer relations to see if they can do something better for me, as this could well go on for another few weeks yet :crybaby:

Sorry to hear that your car is back in the workshop so soon, this must be frustrating, but its good to know that they are still working hard to get you back on the road, and are contacting TUK on your behalf.

I'm yet to read of any other manufacturer that takes an issue like this as seriously, and is prepared to extend the cover by almost double at no extra cost.

Its hard to see a silver lining when things like this happen, but if you owned another make of car, i expect you would be seeing a large bill once the work is complete.

• Like 1

Well, over 4 weeks later and my car is sat in the workshop, on a ramp, with the engine out and in bits....

As has been seen before with others' cars, it needs a new block too as well as everything else to do with the head gasket. I also asked them to look at the clutch for signs of wear, as it's a lot cheaper to change that when the engine's out than in another years time or so.

The clutch and engine block is on back order at the moment. There was a date of 18th May, but that's now been put back to date unknown - possibly blamed on the Tsunami.

They needed the Auris HSD back, so I've now got an Auris 1.33 and it feels like my washing machine has more power!

Spoke to one of the mechanics at the dealership today in the workshop and he was concerned at how long this has been so far and he's suggested that service speak to Toyota customer relations to see if they can do something better for me, as this could well go on for another few weeks yet :crybaby:

I'm sorry to hear that to Neil as I know how this feels all to well. But as Davey said, there isn't any other brand that would give you such a level of service as Toyota is doing today. I had them check my DMF and clutch ect, when my engine was in bits, but the tech guy said it was okay. I'd already bought a complete set (Off Anch's) as a just in case! But I'm glad that I wont have to use it quite yet. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links