Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plans To 'cut Drink-Drive Limit'

Raistlin

8CD9C5C3CD5B8F725381F7961A8E.jpg

Ministers are considering proposals to slash the alcohol limit for drivers, it has been reported.

A report on driving under the influence of drink and drugs has been submitted to the Department for Transport by Sir Peter North, an academic and Government adviser.

It was commissioned last December when Labour was in power, but is now being studied by Tory Transport Secretary Philip Hammond.

Sir Peter recommends reducing the drink-drive limit by almost half, from 80mg of alcohol per 100ml to 50mg. That could be less than a single glass of wine or pint of strong beer.

Those found breaking the law would be hit with an automatic 12-month ban, the paper said. It also claimed Sir Peter had called for: random breath-testing, thereby allowing police to stop motorists with no other aim; the right for drivers to demand a second breathalyser test at the police station to be removed; novice drivers to face an alcohol limit of just 20mg, and a new offence of driving with an illegal substance in the bloodstream at levels deemed impairing.

The Department for Transport declined to comment on the detail of Sir Peter's recommendations.

A spokeswoman said: "We need to tackle drink driving in the most effective way possible to protect law-abiding motorists.

"We are considering Sir Peter's report carefully and will respond in due course."

A much over due action...

I rather like the idea of having a zero limit.... I am sure other countries have the same :huh:

It would make things so much easier.... if you drink then you don't drive.... not at all :thumbsup:

I'm in agreement. We should have a no drink and drive law and if anyone is caught drink driving they should be banned from driving for at least a year and have a HEFTY fine imposed.

I rather like the idea of having a zero limit.... I am sure other countries have the same :huh:

It would make things so much easier.... if you drink then you don't drive.... not at all :thumbsup:

but a Zero limit would mean that you could lose your licence after a sherry trifle, tiramisu, Christmas Pudding etc. It's a tough one ...............

Probably doesn't apply in UK.................but

I used, on a Saturday, have a pint with my lunch & got a semi serious telling off from a friend about it & a warning that I could be in trouble.

Walked out & met 2 Rookies, straight out of Garda = Police College. They are the most dangerous sort, fresh eager & ready to pounce :fear:

I told them the story, straight, & their opinion was that I was ok, especially as the Pint was lowered with a meal :eat: They said that they had seen men with 4 pints taken who were perfectly ok :cheers:

Don't get me wrong. I do not condone, in any way, drunken driving :crazy:

but a Zero limit would mean that you could lose your licence after a sherry trifle, tiramisu, Christmas Pudding etc. It's a tough one ...............

The point you make is a rather good one and something that would need to be considered.... maybe a limit equal to half a pint of beer would make more sense :huh: