Saving Pennies

enid's rav

what a shame to spoil a beautifull car

impossible to read dipstick

hard to get tyres

no b----y spare wheel

is this ment to be a 4x4

penny pinching in manufacturing

does anyone feel the same because after the 1'st punture you will!!!

there is nearely room for a s/w under the boot if all the bits are out

I take it you've been having problems...

I've now on my third 4.3 and have never had problems with reading the dipstick, what problems have you had?

I'm sure Anchorman once said (apology if you didn't) that the complexity of the rear suspension means that there is isn't room for the spare tyre to go under the boot floor. It could be worse you could have run flat tyres... :shutit:

I think the availability of replacement tyres is relative, I'm fortunate to have six different places that have the tyre available.

I'm sure Anchorman once said (apology if you didn't) that the complexity of the rear suspension means that there is isn't room for the spare tyre to go under the boot floor.

Correct.

A good starting poiunt would be an introduction to say more about what you have got. A T180 or SR180 presumably?

08 xtr great motor but

flat tyre

4 hours later got home it was only 1 mile!!!

could have changed wheel in 10 minutes

via recovery then dealership than ats then kwiw fit then local tyre centre

only economny tyre available so had original repaired then back 2 days later for new one

kept old one for spare to put in rav just in case!!!! will not be caught again

rav eats oil but within range 1 ltr per 1000 miles approx

have to check oil weekly but can't read dip stick because i'm thick but feel better now cause toyota sales manager couldn't either!!!!

he said ok but i didn't believe him so asked workshop to check.needed oil

every one admitted difficult to read(cause of twist?)

sure this must stop sales in the long term

i'ts my 2nd rav but 1st & last without s/w please re-design

a 4x4 without a s/w? thats a joke

on purchase i didn't like but WIFE said it didn't matter so hope she is on her own next time!

sorry for bad english but i'm old and have lost replies 3 times so far

08 xtr

flat tyre

4 hours later got home it was only 1 mile!!!

could have changed wheel in 10 minutes

via recovery then dealership than ats then kwiw fit then local tyre centre

only economny tyre available so had original repaired then back 2 days later for new one

kept old one for spare to put in rav just in case!!!!

have to check oil weekely but can't read dip stick because i'm thick but feel better now cause toyota sales manager cou'nt either!!!!

he said ok but did'nt believe him so asked workshop to check.needed oil

every one admitted difficult to read

sure this must stop sales in the long term

i'ts my 2nd rav but 1st & last without s/w please re-design

a 4x4 without a s/w?thats a joke

on purchase i didnt like but WIFE said it didnt matter so hope she is on her own next time!

I love my new Rav4 T180 & don't really see what the biggy is about the tyres. Just replace the RFT's to normal tyres if it bothers you that much. You could always carry a spare wheel in the boot?

Blue

not rft

i love mine too but as above what a pain

i understand that some owners buy a spare but where do you put it?

surely that is toyota's job in the 1st place

enid's old man

not rft

enid's old man

Get used to it!....

It would seem the EU are non to happy about all these 'Sunday Mechanics' messing about with their cars and are looking at proposals to stop this..

The idea is that on all new cars all four wheels will be linked to the cars ECU and if any of the wheels are removed this link will be broken and thus the engine wont start, only a trip to the nearest Stealer for a reset will allow the engine to fire up again.

Spare wheels will be a thing of the past and all cars will just get a can of Tyreweld.

you have been warned!.

not rft

enid's old man

Get used to it!....

It would seem the EU are non to happy about all these 'Sunday Mechanics' messing about with their cars and are looking at proposals to stop this..

The idea is that on all new cars all four wheels will be linked to the cars ECU and if any of the wheels are removed this link will be broken and thus the engine wont start, only a trip to the nearest Stealer for a reset will allow the engine to fire up again.

Spare wheels will be a thing of the past and all cars will just get a can of Tyreweld.

you have been warned!.

not rft

In the boot, like this -

100_0801-1.jpg

great photo

thanks

so it's not just me

take note eec and toyota

So are you saying that the tyres that are fitted to the new rav are not a standard tyre.

i thought that if you had a puncture you used the repair kit it should last for 100miles and then go and get it repaired anywhere.

Maybe i'm wrong but this issue if holding me back from a new rav.

All other suv's on the market have space savers.

great photo

thanks

so it's not just me

take note eec and toyota

So are you saying that the tyres that are fitted to the new rav are not a standard tyre.

i thought that if you had a puncture you used the repair kit it should last for 100miles and then go and get it repaired anywhere.

Maybe i'm wrong but this issue if holding me back from a new rav.

All other suv's on the market have space savers.

08 rav xtr

my tyres are 225 65 r 17 101h yokohama which are not run flat tyres

you can fill them and run on BUT subject to conditions(see manual or ask to see one).this is not so easy when parked roadside and they also need to be cleaned out prior to repair/replaced

may i suggest you try around to access their availability and if NORMALLY in stock!!!!!not i can get one tomorrow

i like to ring round to get the best price before i buy, but this is not possible on recovery

it seems that a spare tyre in my garage (or boot) is my way forward especially if it need replacing at night away from home which any

garage can do if you have the tyre

don't let this put you off but better to take steps first especially if you can get a spare wheel at a reduced price as part of purchase

for what it's worth it's a great car!!!

08 rav xtr

my tyres are 225 65 r 17 101h yokohama which are not run flat tyres

you can fill them and run on BUT subject to conditions(see manual or ask to see one).this is not so easy when parked roadside and they also need to be cleaned out prior to repair/replaced

may i suggest you try around to access their availability and if NORMALLY in stock!!!!!not i can get one tomorrow

i like to ring round to get the best price before i buy, but this is not possible on recovery

it seems that a spare tyre in my garage (or boot) is my way forward especially if it need replacing at night away from home which any

garage can do if you have the tyre

for what it's worth it's a great car!!! don't let this put you off but better to take steps first

I found Blackcircles.com to be most competetive on price and supply [Geolandars currently £107.69 delivered or £121.79 fitted]

Obviously there is a short delay for delivery but well worth sourcing a spare rim [they pop up on e-bay or there are aftermarket versions available] and keeping in load space for long journeys or garage when travelling near home. Have to say mine stays in car most of the time. Has already saved a tyre that was repaired after a puncture - fitter was not convinced that the 'gunge' could be effectively removed had I used it :unsure:

Hi mate

impossible to read dipstick -->

disagree ---- you have two problems -- either an extremly clean oil or lack of it. normally the oil level is read enough subject to clean deepstick by rags before sounding.

hard to get tyres -->

for sure is it better to have normal tyres for this 4x4

no b----y spare wheel---> agree

cheers/Igor

I know what you mean with the dipstick. Sometimes have to dip it about 6 times because of bubbles etc. This new one seems to be cured so maybe it was modded?

I know what you mean with the dipstick. Sometimes have to dip it about 6 times because of bubbles etc. This new one seems to be cured so maybe it was modded?

hi

thanks

i thought i was not dipping correctly

does this mean that i can get a different dipstick?

peter

It might not be as simple as that. The cylinder block/crank case on the post 09 models is somewhat different than the earlier ones and it may be the bottom of the tube picks up in a different part of it. I will look again at mine and if it appears to be different than the old one I will give you the measurements so you can price one off Kingo. Even then if it is down to where it picks up the oil, it could be a risk and you might waste your money. If you know anybody with a newer one the best test would be just try it. Your local dealer might oblige.

• 1 month later...

not rft

In the boot, like this -

100_0801-1.jpg

hi Dave.m

thanks for the photo

my steel spare arrived today, i thought it was reasonable from dealers

dealer fitted tyre f.o.c. which i had from previous problem

it is interesting to note that all changing gear is standard, jack,brace etc

will you tell me where you purchased the cover as my wheel is in a big bag at the moment

is the strap also available?

thanks

peter(enid's old man)

Mine has no spare wheel but the jack and wheel brace are under the cover in the boot.

Hi enid's rav,

Can I ask where you got your spare steel wheel and for how much?

Thanks

Also, without wanting to sound condascending, have you tried it on the car to make sure it fits, its just that I have seen wheels advertised for this version of Rav that only have 4 holes for wheel nuts when the car has 5 studs !

Hi enid's rav,

Can I ask where you got your spare steel wheel and for how much?

Thanks

Also, without wanting to sound condascending, have you tried it on the car to make sure it fits, its just that I have seen wheels advertised for this version of Rav that only have 4 holes for wheel nuts when the car has 5 studs !

hi

toyota main dealer at barnstaple(toyota roundswell)

£74.40 + vat =£87.42

just the STEEL plain wheel because i would not pay the price of another alloy

tyre i already had after punture so they fitted it for free!!!!!definitely 5 nut holes and correct size now i am

after a cover and something to secure it in the back. CRAZY TO THINK TOYOTA DIDN'T PUT ONE IN £25000 CAR IS IT NOT.

As i said in the start saving pennies but loosing a fortune in sales for £50.00(bulk buying)

also a little more thought in the design stage, changing kit already in the well at the back!!!

hope that helps peter